Menu

What are your tricks for an efficient homeschool day?

In what ways do you make the best use of your time during a school day?

Here are two of mine:

When ds starts to droop or get annoying (around 10 AM-because he gets up early), I used to just let him take a break from school. Getting back to work was always tough for him. The break seemed to make school last longer than it should. So I began proposing doing school in the bathtub. He likes to read his reader in the bathtub. He does flashcards in the bathtub. He will listen to read alouds and even practice spelling in the bathtub. Something that would have been tremendously painful in the "real world" is fine in the bathtub. Plus, he is re-energized to do more school after getting out and dressed.

Poetry Memorization (or any kind of drill)

After eight hours of school, dd (14) is not up for memorizing poetry-and who could blame her. However, she seems to tolerate it if she can dribble and shoot basketball at the same time. Maybe the rhythm of the ball, or something to keep her mind off the repetition of the poetry?

What are your "shortcuts to success?" How do you use your time wisely? Does a P.E. break help your kids refocus? Do you combine subjects to be more efficient?

I'd love to hear your ideas. Hope that my ideas help someone out there.

Holly

Going outside for school helps us focus. My kids do Latin recitation in the front yard and we play games outside with math drills.

I have been known to let ds9 do his math with sidewalk chalk on the street. (We live on a dead end and have very nice neighbors.)

I save read alouds and Lit. Reading until ds almost 3 has his nap/rest time.

When we start, we do better just plowing through and getting as much done as possible, I don't give play time between subjects. Instead we have a snack break about 10:30 and I let them play for 20 min. then. My kindergartener was usually done for the day by that time.

These are great ideas! I'm thinking about using dry-erase markers to do spelling in the bathtub on the wall (we have that vinyl enclosure type thing). I love the idea of doing math w/ sidewalk chalk. My ds10 would LOVE that. I'm thinking math facts on the trampoline or while shooting hoops. Keep those ideas coming! Love them.

These are great ideas! I'm thinking about using dry-erase markers to do spelling in the bathtub on the wall (we have that vinyl enclosure type thing). I love the idea of doing math w/ sidewalk chalk. My ds10 would LOVE that. I'm thinking math facts on the trampoline or while shooting hoops. Keep those ideas coming! Love them.

Dry-erase in the bathtub! Brilliant! I always just stuck to activities that did not require writing.

I bet you could also spray the wall with shaving cream (if the wall was tile) and write spelling words in cream! That'd be fun and smell gooooooooood.

Holly

I try to make use of car time we need to go somewhere. We might listen to classical music on the CD player, I might quiz DD on spelling or math facts verbally or I have her read books, aloud or silently.

Those "attitude-adjustment" breaks are sometimes troublesome for us, because some days we seem to need a lot of them :rolleyes: I would have never thought to use the bathtub! I can just see DD making boats out of flashcards, though :lol:

I try to make use of car time we need to go somewhere. We might listen to classical music on the CD player, I might quiz DD on spelling or math facts verbally or I have her read books, aloud or silently.

Those "attitude-adjustment" breaks are sometimes troublesome for us, because some days we seem to need a lot of them :rolleyes: I would have never thought to use the bathtub! I can just see DD making boats out of flashcards, though :lol:

We enjoyed Teaching Company WWI in the car last year. This year we are going to do SOTW III on tape.

Holly

We enjoyed Teaching Company WWI in the car last year. This year we are going to do SOTW III on tape.

Holly

Holly,

How old are your DC? I have 5 or 6 Teaching COmpany courses on DVD, but they seem intellectually high level to the point I need to rewind to hear the professor reiterate certain points. Is WWI not as intense, or maybe I'm not as smart?! (I have several Middle Ages courses, but they're pretty advanced material and not sure it would capture my kiddos' attention.)

Like to utilize travel time more effectively.

Holly,

How old are your DC? I have 5 or 6 Teaching COmpany courses on DVD, but they seem intellectually high level to the point I need to rewind to hear the professor reiterate certain points. Is WWI not as intense, or maybe I'm not as smart?! (I have several Middle Ages courses, but they're pretty advanced material and not sure it would capture my kiddos' attention.)

Like to utilize travel time more effectively.

Hi Tracey,

My dd was 13 when we listened to the DVD's. (8th grade) It helped that she was also doing a research report on WWI. I highly recommend this professor and the course.

I also listened to the Middle Ages by Daidleader. It is much more challenging. In fact, I found it pretty boring-oops:001_huh:. This WWI course is very educational but much more "down to earth." The professor talks about the first chemical weapons, life in the trenches, and includes many interesting historical vignettes.

HTH,

Holly

Having a checklist for each of my kids so they know what to do if I am unavailable. It seems like I am the one holding up the show a lot of the time. If they know what independent work they need to do, then they can keep busy if I am distracted by a phone call or something else.

I have my boys get out of their seats and walk around the kitchen island as they work through their math flashcards. Just getting away from the table and moving seems to help. (I don't let them as far from the table as the "fun moms" who allow school outside or in the bathtub. :) )

Reading aloud during lunch works well for us.

And the most important thing to our successful school day is me getting a good early morning routine established for myself. If I wake up early, read my Bible, pray, exercise, shower, dress, etc. before the kids are up I am better able to handle the school day. I am afraid with a new baby it will be hard to drag myself out of bed early... but I'm gonna' try. :)

I'm anxious to hear other people's ideas.

For us alternating challenging work and easier work helps. That way we don't have to take breaks and then transition back into work mode. I keep our day as manageable as possible. My younger 3 work for no more than 4 hours (doesn't include instrument practice). Although, I think my 6th grader will be working a little longer this year like my 9th grader. I try to keep my own involvement at 4 hours and then am available to the older kids as needed.

My boys can't get back in the groove if they take a long play break. So they read if I'm working with the other child.

Same problem if we move school outdoors. Too many distractions, and they start wrestling or chasing each other. :)

Plow through the morning, then a quick lunch break seems to work for us.

One mom here years ago had a good suggestion. Lunchtime always meant the kids never got back on track, so she substituted a protein + fruit 'snack time' and served a more substantial meal after school was done. The snack kept everyone energized and didn't break the momentum of the day.

Charlotte Mason suggested varying the types of work, besides having short lessons. Do seatwork, then reading, then oral work, then sketching, and so on. Keeps you from getting too antsy.

Shorter subjects than before- e.g. stopping maths after an hour, no matter how much done. In the end, it is more efficient- they focus better, and we have time for other things.

Independent work, followed by "together" work and read alouds, followed by more independent work- breaks up the day.

To be efficient and get through the day, we are quite strict about getting up by 7am, chores, and school starting time. Then, we can finish in good time and move on to other parts of the day.

For us, using audios doesn't work- neither kids likes them, even though they love me reading aloud. So car time is for listening to pop music nowadays (which is kind of a bonding time between me and them as they get older and we get to discuss things like "have you noticed most songs express a victim mentality?" Or, "what do you think about the words in that song?" ). Both my kids are also very resistant to and suspicious of me trying to sneak "school" into other times- like trying to play classical music in the car. So we don't do it. Schooltime- 8.30am to 1 or 2 pm- is for school. What seeds I plant now may well not sprout, or they will sprout in their own time, later.

We don't do health as a separate subject- that is covered in day to day life.

We use narrations to cover several subjects- so we may read from 8-10 books during the week, but they do 3 writing assignments a week, so not everything we read and study is translated into words on paper. Oral narration covers the rest, though, and often, these lead onto more in depth discussions. This allows us to cover a lot more books and topics than if we did some sort of workbook or writing assignment for every subject.

We don't do workbooks- well, one at the moment, Language Lessons.

My most efficient homeschool day happens out of the house. If we get behind I pack us up and we school at the library; fewer distractions.

I've often wondered about this-whether it would work for us. It always seemed like I'd forget something at home-or there'd be too much stuff to take-or?????? I'm glad you mentioned it. How old are your kids and how do you make it work?

TIA,

Holly

I read aloud or drill during breakfast and lunch (and dinner too if we need it). I eat as I'm preparing the meal so that I'm finished by the time the kids sit down.

For me it works best if I focus on my youngest kids in the morning, my middle child after lunch and catch up with my teens in the evening. They often choose to do a lot of their work in the evening. I think mostly because they've had a lot of outside classes for which they've had to do homework and often homework help would come from dad after dinner.

I've often wondered about this-whether it would work for us. It always seemed like I'd forget something at home-or there'd be too much stuff to take-or?????? I'm glad you mentioned it. How old are your kids and how do you make it work?

TIA,

Holly

They are 15, 13, & 6. We haven't forgotten much at home that I recall. Everyone has a backpack or messenger bag and we all pack our own things, I bring lots of extra pencils and help the little guy.

1. If there's a problem with the current subject (daydreaming, attitude, etc.) move on to the next subject and come back to it. It's not worth spending time arguing and pushing a child to behave a certain way to get the work accomplished.

2. Short lessons have been a miracle worker here but overall make sure the time spent on lessons is productive. Match the time spent to the child's abilities and attention-span.

3. Have supplies ready to go for the day's activities, books that will be read in a convenient spot. Don't waste time searching for things.

4. Give younger children an area that contains their stuff that they can use and play without you having to interact with them intimately.

5. Alternate types of work to be done. A child could sit for 3 hours and do seatwork but who wants to? Don't schedule all the independent work to be done back to back.

6. Keep your eye on the ball. Focus on the lessons, not doing the laundry or talking on the phone. Keep the time sacred, be the example you want to show the kids.

7. When things get tense, laugh. Have a tickling session, talk in a weird voice, do something to make your kids laugh and relax.

And by golly...have ice cream every now and then. Be a kid with your kids when you can. This time is so fleeting...

Staying home more than being gone really helped us. Or, rather, it helped *me,* which of course helped *them*:D

Having a routine helped--not a schedule, but a routine. Tuesday and Thursday were Official School Days; Wednesday was library; field trip was Thursday, housecleaning was Friday. If I got out of those routines, I was a mess. Possibly it was my Monk-ishness:D but keeping those kept me on track, homeschooling- and housekeeping-wise.

They are 15, 13, & 6. We haven't forgotten much at home that I recall. Everyone has a backpack or messenger bag and we all pack our own things, I bring lots of extra pencils and help the little guy.

Thanks! I just may try this in the coming year. Our library is beautiful and right next to a park.

Holly

Holly

Thank you for recommending the WWI course. We hardly ever drive, so we have to listen in the house, and we sometimes do that when we're preparing lunch, eating or cleaning up. Usually the boys will watch when I am at work late in the day.

Someone asked about how old your children are and whether the courses were too intellectually challenging. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I've noticed that my younger one soaks up quite a bit of the lectures that I bought for my oldest. This has made me ponder whether there is such a thing as "passive learning".

Oh, also the dribbling the ball during memorization.... Funny story. I manage a performance space at a small college. One day I passed the voice instructor's office and I heard ka-thunk, ka-thunk, ka-thunk, ka-thunk, ka-thunk and I thought, what the sam hill is he doing in there? It took several weeks before I was able to work up the courage to ask! He was memorizing the lyrics for an upcoming performance, bouncing a racquetball type ball down on the floor, over to the wall and back to him (clear as mud?). Fortunately, his office is at the end of the building, so he was able to do this without disturbing a neighbor.

This is a very helpful thread. Thank you.

Oh, also the dribbling the ball during memorization.... Funny story. I manage a performance space at a small college. One day I passed the voice instructor's office and I heard ka-thunk, ka-thunk, ka-thunk, ka-thunk, ka-thunk and I thought, what the sam hill is he doing in there? It took several weeks before I was able to work up the courage to ask! He was memorizing the lyrics for an upcoming performance, bouncing a racquetball type ball down on the floor, over to the wall and back to him (clear as mud?). Fortunately, his office is at the end of the building, so he was able to do this without disturbing a neighbor.

This is a very helpful thread. Thank you.

Yes, the dribbling ball reminds me of a comment a special ed (now homeschool mom) mentioned. I was talking about a few boys that I teach who never stutter except when giving a speech. And then they stutter at the ends of words. She suggested turning on a metronome while they spoke as a means of helping them stop stuttering. There IS something about a "beat."

Mine are all pretty young but we are trying some new things that are working well for us.

I made up a housework schedule for myself to keep me on track - then when I'm schooling, I'm *just* schooling. Not trying to load the dishwasher or fold clothes - the kids have my full attention.

I made up a schedule (order of subjects really) for our schoolwork and made sure that I rotated my direct involvement between kids. So after bible (as a family) my oldest works independently, I do phonics with my 2nd son, and my 3rd son does explode the code online. After that I work with my oldest, my 2nd son does explode the code online and my 3rd son colors and does his handwriting book. I go back and forth between them all so I get a chance to work with each one individually and I rotate them between subjects and computer work so they aren't doing any one thing too long - my kids can't do all their writing intensive work in a row because their hands hurt, etc.

We do our read aloud at snacktime mid morning (instead of taking a true break). This works GREAT because they need food and they are a captive audience for the read aloud. Plus they aren't all fighting over sitting next to me because they are around the table. We do math just after this because they are fed and fresh from the break of doing work.

They are now 14 1/2yo and almost 11yo. A daily checklist has helped my older son for years. It's just starting to be of help to my younger son. The checklist helps them see when the breaks are, which is a big motivator. Also, I schedule harder work followed by something that is easier for them.

Two afternoons a week we go to swim and gym classes for 2 hours. This is a HUGE motivator to stay on task.

2 years ago, I started going out to lunch with my bf on Wednesdays. I leave my boys at home for a LONG lunch break *and* allow them screen time in the middle of the day. If they haven't been diligent with their morning work, they have to finish while I'm gone and then loose that special screen time in the middle of the week in the middle of the day! This has rarely happened. They LOVE Wednesdays!

I make a weekly schedule. For each time period, I schedule the kids and myself. That way, the housework gets done in bits of time throughout the day. I schedule schoolwork, chores, lessons, meals, personal hygiene, outside activities and driving time. Any blocks of time left are free time.

I make a list of chores I have to do for each day, along with the time it takes to accomplish them.

The good thing about my schedule is that I no longer think I can accomplish more tasks than there are hours in the day. Also, we have a more efficient use of our time. For example, DD can take her shower while I am taking DS to Boy Scouts. That way the showers for 5 people don't pile up at the end of the day, which will run us out of hot water after the first 2 people.

Since I have columns in the schedule for each of 5 people, I can tailor a particular child's schedule to the events in his or her day. During baseball season, it is crucial to DS that he watch the game, so his schedule is tailored to that of the Red Sox.

Back when I did a lot of reading aloud, I scheduled Breakfast & Bible and Lunch & Lit, which made the school day end sooner (to the kids delight).

I schedule subjects so that all essential work is done in the morning. I also try to schedule subjects so that listening, writing, and active (ie, labs, art, baking, p.e.) subjects are mixed up. That way the kids don't have to sit through a 2-hour block of doing the same type of learning, which makes them cranky.

When the kids get antsy I send them to run laps down the next street, which ends in a cul-de-sac, or out to walk the dog. On days when the weather is rainy or otherwise too bad to go out, the kids do DDR.

If my schedule gets messed up -- like we miss history and literature due to a doctor's appointment or lunch with DH -- I move those classes to Saturday morning.

Usually there are not enough hours in the day or week to accomplish everything I'd like to do in an ideal world, so this also serves the purpose of reining-in my expectations.

RC

When the kids get antsy I send them to run laps down the next street, which ends in a cul-de-sac, or out to walk the dog. On days when the weather is rainy or otherwise too bad to go out, the kids do DDR.

RC

DDR? Just can't figure this one out.

Holly

The recipe for an efficient school day is....a whole bunch of patience, flexibility, and just trying to juggle like a circus clown! HAHA. So much of making the day efficient and happy is just going with the flow, looking at what I want to do and what we can do and finding a medium in between. When I look at what we accomplish I am always pleased, no matter the attitudes, behavior, or time spent on any one activity. Go with the flow.