Menu

no-tech foreign language on a budget

hsingscrapper

Mine are older, now, but when they were elementary aged, we started with books rights off the shelves at B&N. For example, my daughter used this one:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/learn-spanish-the-fast-and-fun-way-with-audio-cassettes-gene-hammitt/1005801853?ean=9780764176869

It was colorful and cute, aimed primarily at travellers, but a nice introduction to the language.

We never buckled down and mastered any of the modern languages we started, because we were too busy with the classical languages. But when we were attempting a modern language the Berlitz Self-Teacher books were our favorites.

Every word and phrase has the pronunciation after it. These are OLD, like from the 40's I think, but the more common languages have been reprinted over and over, because they are so usable.

Many libraries will have a moldy copy on the shelves.

The Amazon sample shows all of lesson 1 and 2.

My boys would do a lesson a week, and spend the rest of the week drawing and making up their own sentences, to provide more review.

This has been perfect for us this year! Short lessons, but she remembers everything. I have been learning right along with her.

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Started-Spanish-Homeschoolers-Self-Taught/dp/0979505135/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349300987&sr=8-1&keywords=getting+started+with+spanish

:iagree:

This is a great book, very doable, easy to use, and effective. I really like it.

Another vote for Getting Started With Spanish.

I've never taken Spanish (French and German in high school) and I'm very surprised by how much I'm retaining, even though I was trying to push the kids toward French, lol.

My 10yo is doing exceptionally well, and the 9yo isn't too bad, either!

That would be my first choice. DH thinks French is a dying language and a waste of time and would rather they learned Spanish. :confused:

Dying language :001_huh:? My husband has traveled extensively in the past (for leisure and for business) and he said he couldn't disagree more with that statement.

Edited by AimeeM

That would be my first choice. DH thinks French is a dying language and a waste of time and would rather they learned Spanish. :confused:

I have been warned that at some colleges, the Spanish courses are full of Spanish speaking students looking for an easy A, and that teachers are ignoring the students who are really there to learn the language for the first time, to have more advanced fun with the bulk of the class. Just something to consider.

French is not dead in MY city :-0 The Haitian and some African immigrants speak it. Of course the French tourists and students speak it. Modern English has been influenced by French as well as Latin.

French is NOT dead.

I have been warned that at some colleges, the Spanish courses are full of Spanish speaking students looking for an easy A.

I heard the same thing about Chinese when I was in college. It scared me off!

Depending on the age of your kids, you could borrow Pimsleur CDs from the library. I have found them to be really effective.

He is very, um, strangely opinionated. Yes. That's the kindest way I can put it.

Is it because there is plenty of spanish speakers around compared to french speakers?

There are plenty of spanish speakers in my county which is why we think there are way more than enough people applying for jobs that requires spanish proficiency.

Maybe you can teach French and your hubby teach Spanish?

ETA:

The International Olympic Committee official languages are French and English.

The working languages at the UN Secretariat are English and French.

Edited by Arcadia

I don't agree with him. I think French is a beautiful language. I'd like to teach them both.

He is very, um, strangely opinionated. Yes. That's the kindest way I can put it.

It's not just a matter of beautiful (although I agree with you; it is). French is a very useful language and definitely not dying. Lol.

We do have a lot of Spanish speakers as opposed to French. He also cited my cooking habits. I cook a lot of Mexican because it's cheap and gets my spazlings to eat more veggies.

I told him French food was expensive and he said something colorful that equated to "rubbish" regarding the price of ingredients for French dishes. :001_huh:

My kids are pretty yound (6,4,1) but we are learning French. In the spring I signed our 4 yr old up for French lessons, but didn't for the fall. I bought a few books from Barnes and nobles something like 1st 100 French words, a little pim book on French colors, and something else.

Edited by Sctigermom

We're starting with music in French. I have several cd's that a friend loaned to me with children's songs in French--so, it's free :) I figure, this is an easy way to get the language into their brains while they are young, which will provide an unseen foundation that will help them later when we do a "real" French curriculum. I chose French because that's what I studied in high school and college so at least I can get them started somewhat. I know that Spanish would be more useful but I have no knowledge of it and no desire to teach it.

We do have a lot of Spanish speakers as opposed to French. He also cited my cooking habits. I cook a lot of Mexican because it's cheap and gets my spazlings to eat more veggies.

I told him French food was expensive and he said something colorful that equated to "rubbish" regarding the price of ingredients for French dishes. :001_huh:

If you live in an area ripe with spanish speakers, spanish may indeed be a good choice, but French would be very useful in most business careers.

Mais oui, je parle francais un peu. (I'm rusty.)

I am, too. :lol: but I can still remember how to pronounce it. I can't find my links ATM, but on quizlet you can get the word lists, and basically it's all about immersion and acting it out. So you don't have them just copy avoir= to have, but you make them show you and say it. There are some great books & sites out there. I have been way less than impressed with every other program we've tried. :glare: