Menu

accelerated bad?

Who says it is bad? What do you mean by "bad"?

Kids have different strengths and weaknesses. If your child is wired to operate at a higher level in math or reading, it's great if you can give her work at that level. But personally I would first make sure she was doing solid work in her weaker areas.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "accelerated." Do you mean moved up in school, or just doing higher level work?

I have an average child who was born 10 days after the school cutoff date, so I put her in school a year early. She's no genius, but she's smart enough to do what the kids 10 days older can do. And I believe the challenge is good for her. If she were in KG, she'd be considered a great reader but learn nothing; in 1st she's just an OK reader, but she's learning. I prefer the latter.

DD (3rd grd) is in regular 3rd grd but she know most of the 4th and 5th grd work except for the social studies and economics part. She is in no way gifted or talented....but she did make it to the gifted class..maybe because she knows way beyond her grades? I think thats because she reads a lot- esp to kill boredom. She enjoys the gifted class mainly because she does not have to sit idle.

I get the vibes from the teacher that she would much prefer if everyone was an average kid with average 3rd grd knowledge.

The post was just a vent.

The basic issue that one runs into with accel courses is that the homework and studying demand is more than they would get in their age/grade level courses. Some students aren't ready to put in that time, needing instead to get out and exercise. Others lack the neurological development to keep up with the writing demands. They can run out of time for sleep, especially if they are in growth spurt years and sleeping that deep, longer sleep. For ex. last night was a presidential debate...but, if your 14 yr old child needs to be up and out the door at 6:20 am, staying up to watch the debate as the AP or dual enrollment teacher requests may not be as easy as it would be if he was a 17 yr old.

Calvin is only one year accelerated in school, so it has not been an issue. When he was younger and at home, however, he was intellectually capable of fairly extreme acceleration, but I didn't want him to be working longer hours than would have been normal for his age (unless he had a strong desire to himself). We had to strip down higher level courses, or do them over a longer period.

Laura

I wouldn't do a grade skip in the early grades unless a child is more than a couple of years ahead-it's really, really common for kids to read several years above grade level early-on simply because, once you've cracked the code, jumping to about 4th-5th grade level in K-3 isn't hard. But after about 5th grade level, it gets harder and harder to find age-appropriate content for little ones, and socially there seems to be a BIG difference in those ages.

My DD is 1 year accelerated, which, given that she has a November birthday in a state with a Sept 30 cutoff, isn't really a big jump, and it's been a fine fit for her in group settings, although not the best fit academically. At home, we go at her pace, but I'm unwilling to accelerate her any more on paper, because while she's years ahead of kids her age academically, she's still not quite 8 years old in other ways. Emotionally, she IS a 3rd grader, at best. Sometimes, I swear she's closer to 4 than to 8.

The other thing to consider is whether your child is going to want to do any form of academic competition. In general, you can assume that kids who WANT to do competitions are going to be above level anyway. My daughter's last "third grade" math competition included content on the test that normally isn't included in textbooks before about 7th grade-and she was by no means the only 3rd grader who could handle such material without any hesitation. That's been about par for the course in competitions that we've found.

• 9 years later...

My son is 5. He started Pre-K this year, and they found that he was too bored and was causing problems, so they accelerated him to Kindergarten and 1st grade for math. He enjoys being around the older kids and has been great in school behaviorally since they moved him. The 2nd grade teacher thinks that he does not need 1st grade at all based on what she has seen from him. I don't know if I should let him accelerate again or not. I might let him, but then hold him back as he gets older and just let him do the work of the higher level classes so there aren't the social issues later or the boredom issues now.

39 minutes ago, HGallow said:

My son is 5. He started Pre-K this year, and they found that he was too bored and was causing problems, so they accelerated him to Kindergarten and 1st grade for math. He enjoys being around the older kids and has been great in school behaviorally since they moved him. The 2nd grade teacher thinks that he does not need 1st grade at all based on what she has seen from him. I don't know if I should let him accelerate again or not. I might let him, but then hold him back as he gets older and just let him do the work of the higher level classes so there aren't the social issues later or the boredom issues now.

Please start your own thread.