Menu

What chores do you have your kids do?

My husband and I are doing some planning this weekend and we want to start having the kids do some chores. I'm not sure what they would be capable of? What types of things do you require from your kids? Do you let them do things like clean the bathrooms or just stick to emptying the dishwasher? Do you reward them for doing the chores? Advise please!!!!

My kids are older. They can cook simple meals, sweep, mop, vacuum, do laundry, clean out the car, take out the trash, just about everything.

Here are some sites though that list age appropriate chores for different ages:

http://housekeeping.about.com/od/chorechart1/a/ageapprchores.htm

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/chores-for-children?page=2

My kids are 8, 8, 6, 2. The 2yo puts soap in the dishwasher (he's been carefully trained, ha!), and that is the only useful thing he does.

The other kids unload the dishwasher, vacuum, set and clear table, clean bathrooms (yep, all of it - I made a chart like restaurants use that they can initial!), collect eggs from chicken coop, take care of the dog (feeding, taking him out, taking him on small walks, brushing him), take trash down to mud room (too heavy to put in big barrels still), clean out the van, pick up toys (and make their own beds), put away laundry . . . they do a lot. Obviously not all at once, and not at 100% perfection level, but they do have some work every day (except Sundays).

It's the only way this household could even function, plus - it is good for them!

This is kind of off-topic, but I wanted to shout a warning to those with little ones hanging around an open, unloaded dishwasher...

Once a small child fell into one of them and was impaled and killed. It is like a mini-iron maiden in there with all those steel prongs sticking straight up. Please be careful with open dishwashers and little kids.

For chores - my 4yo feeds the dog, sets the table, folds dish towels, and helps put her toys away. My other one is much older and does a lot of more bigger things, like his own laundry, yard work, etc.

My kids do most of the basic cleaning chores, and have for some time. I'll list the age in parenthesis when they first started doing them:

DS12

Weekly:

Bathrooms (7)

Collect/put away laundry (7)

Vacuum (10)

Daily:

Cat boxes and dog bombs-switches of with DS7 (6)

Dishes (8)

Cooks breakfast (11 - he chooses to do this for fun)

Clean room (from the time he could make a mess!)

DS7

Weekly:

Dust (6)

Wipe down baseboard/windowsills/ fingerprinted walls (3 or 4)

Daily:

Cat boxes and dog bombs (5)

Empty compost pails outside (3)

Feed ducks (6)

Set and clear table (4)

Clean room

DH and I sweep, mop, cook and do laundry. Both kids help with outdoor and garden chores. We all walk through the house every evening and put everything back in its place before bed.

The standard chores above get no reward. We have an ongoing list of extra chores they can do for pocket money.

We start them on chores fairly early. In the beginning they don't do the greatest job, but they try! Sometimes I'd need to clean the bathroom after my son did when he first started, but I'd always do it after he went to bed. Never let them see you recleaning something if they tried their best!

Mine are 9, 7 and 4. We don't have a regular chore system. It's mostly mom-directed :)

The 9 & 7 yo can:

Unload the dishwasher (anything they can't reach gets stacked neatly on the counter and I put it away)

Clear their places/put dishes in the dishwasher after meals

Vacuum (we have a central vac so it's not heavy for them)

Rotate laundry

Pick up messes

Help clean the cat box

Fold/put away laundry

Help scrub out toilets/wipe down counters in the bathroom (I pour in cleaner, they swish the brush around. Counter tops and toilet rims get hit with Clorox wipes)

Set the table

Feed/water the pets

Take out the trash

My 4 yo does less of course, but she'll help put silverware away when the older two are unloading the dishwasher, she'll help load/unload the washer and dryer, she can put her own folded clothes away, she can help pick up (though I usually have to direct her more: "Pick up all the shoes and put them in the closet. Pick up all the Wii controllers and put them in the cupboard").

My kiddos are 20 years apart so I've only ever had one at home at a time. So there are no regular chores at all for the kiddos. I do ask them to help me do my chores on a very irregular basis. But they've always been too busy to keep a regular chore schedule. I figure it takes about 20 seconds to teach one how to clean the toilet before he moves out so I'm not worried about them not knowing. I don't do allowances either.

If I had more than one kiddo at a time, however, I probably would have created some sort of chore schedule.

:)

My oldest 2 are 8(+2 months) and 5(+5 months) as well, and my youngest 2.75. Most things are done as needed here but some are always expected.

When cleaning is done outside or inside it is just done as a family for the most part and everyone is assigned jobs as they are able and are needed. I'm of course always working the longest along with dh(if he is around), then ds and then dd.

Yesterday we cleaned and this is what we did:

ds- fed rabbits, helped feed dog, cleaned room and made bed(this is done daily so requires little time), cleaned big shower- he's only done the bathtub so far so lots of training on this, took care of my dust pile with dust pan(I'm so huge right now that it is a real help if he does that part!), carried library books to car

dd- dusted, helped fed dog and fed cat, cleaned room and made bed, cleaned 2 toilets, got our lunch out and plates- leftovers, carried dh's clothes to the car, helped dd2 get ready to go

Me- Made bed and put away some clothes, quick put away around the house, main bathtub, bathroom floors, mirrors and sinks, swept whole house(all hardwood and tile), finished lunch prep, cleared dishes, I had planned to mop as well but just ran out of time before we had to leave

Here is area list of what is expected daily and some of the various jobs done as needed.

8:

always-

feed rabbit, help feed dog

clean room +make bed- done daily

help sort laundry, fold own laundry and put away

help set table and serving food

picking up outside- toys, sticks, rocks, etc

5:

feed cat, help feed dog

clean room +make bed- done daily

help sort laundry, fold own laundry and put away

help set table and serving food

Done as needed:

ds- clean van, clean bathrooms (mop floor, toilet, clean room bathtub, sink, counter- both bathrooms are pretty small-) Usually I have him either do it all but the tub or just the tub- so the job isn't so big

empty dishwasher

dust

wash walls

hands and knees mopping- spot mopping

basic help with cooking/baking- oats, scrambled eggs, washing and chopping simple veggies, peeling carrots and potatoes- etc

dd

clean toilets

dust

wash walls

hands and knees mopping- spot mopping

basic help with cooking/baking- oats, scrambled eggs, washing and chopping simple veggies, peeling potatoes and carrots- etc

picking up outside- toys, sticks, rocks, etc

dd 2.75

Is not terribly helpful yet but does help here and there with picking and putting away things, carries her own plate and has started filling her own cup as well(she really likes that as it makes her feel so big!)

DC are now 11 - 18 but these chores have been on the list for a couple of years:

Care for their own rooms (Ha ha ha ha -- I have low standards)

Take care of pets (get poop out of cage, new food and water)

Vacuum carpets and the stairs, which are carpeted

Take out trash and recyclables

Cook some

Straighten up bookshelves and dust them

Steam mop

Sweep (kitchen, front porch, wood floor)

Wipe counters and table

Clean bathrooms (I still do a "deep clean" now and then)

Change out towels

Change their own bedding

Fold community laundry (hand towels, kitchen linens)

Mow (not the 11 year old, but she could...) and trim the yard

Pick up the backyard (pick up the stray drinking cup, etc.) and pull weeds

Handwash dishes

Put away dishwasher dishes

My kids don't have assigned chores. It is all mom-directed, but we have routines. An example: when I get home from grocery shopping, I assign everyone jobs. One kid carries groceries from van to house. Another carries from front door to kitchen. Two help put away. The 1yo doesn't help.

Before dinner the oldest grabs dry laundry off the line while the middle three set the table. After eating, the four oldest clear the table and then they fold & put away the laundry. They each are assigned pieces of laundry - kitchen, bathroom, 1yo, etc. My 10yo wipes down the table, and my 8yo sweeps.

Any of the chores can and are changed depending on what I need help with. Some days I set the table while they pick up outside toys or whatever.

At 5:00 we all pick up the house. They have screen time then while I make dinner and do more chores.

DD11 takes out the recycling and cleans her bedroom as her. I'll be honest - I've never been a fan of mandatory, set chores. I'm fully aware, however, that this could change and could just be the result of having a helpful, willing child so it's simply never been a *need*; she helps me cook, she enjoys mopping and sweeping, she watches her younger brothers while I get something done in another part of the house, etc.

Regardless, DD11 does get an allowance every month but it really isn't tied to chores. She also gets a list of *carp jobs* (jobs in our home that nobody wants to do, that will earn her *extra* in terms of allowance - like scooping giant German Shepherd poo :D).

DS3 just helps, again (like with DD). DS3 enjoys helping me unload the silverware from the dishwasher, setting napkins at places at the table, cleaning up his bedroom, "helping" me put away laundry, etc. No allowance for him yet, but we put money into his savings every month and he generally gets cash or a check from my FIL for his birthday and Christmas (this goes into savings for him as well). I can imagine when he gets older he will be required to clean his own bedroom and, maybe, take out the trash? What else he is required to do, will be determined by how helpful he is in general.

My 4 and 2 year old help set the table, wipe the table, and a little other dishes work (like easy/safe dishes to put away from the dishwasher). They also help me put away groceries.

They pick up their toys and books and put them in the correct places, and if they spill something, they help clean it up.

Most of these chores require intense supervision (and sometimes re-do by the parent), but it works for now. I'm also going to have them start helping me with the laundry a bit too.

For us, everyone's chores are to take care of your own things. Dds clean their rooms, do their laundry, clean their bathroom, clean their own dishes, and keep their things picked up out of the common areas. They also help take care of the dog ~ walks, food, water, etc.

Also mom directed chores here. I tell them to do what needs to be done when it needs to be done.

On that note they clean the bathrooms, bedroom, and school room every weekend.

Cleaning bathroom includes everything like cleaning toilets, tubs, vacuuming and mopping the floors.

They do laundry on the weekend as well.

They've just started mowing the lawn which makes dh happy. ;)

Today will be a busy day. They need to clean the rats' cage, clean their bedroom, change the sheets on the bed, clean bathrooms, vacuum dust school room, and then clean the garage.

We do not give rewards or allowance for chores. We consider chores as part of being part of a family household. Everyone must chip in to make a home a nice place to be. Mommy and Daddy do not get paid for household chores. :tongue_smilie: