Menu

What to do in Richmond, VA?

I’m from Richmond but it’s been a while since I’ve been there as anything more than visting my parents. :) Here are a few thoughts....

The Art Museum is very nice, dh and I went recently and were impressed.

The Science Museum is good and fun for kids.

The Children’s Museum is fairly lame, in my opinion, I’d avoid it.

The Capitol Building is recently renovated and designed by Jefferson.

I’ve never been but I have the Gray House/Museum of the Confederacy on my list to see one day when we are studying the Civil War.

The Fan used to be a funky area with lots of shops, restaurants, very arty people but it’s been a long time since I’ve been there.

A drive down Monument Ave. is interesting and free to see all the statues of Confederate people.

Two cemeteries....Hollywood Cemetery (two presidents, Jefferson Davis, more Confederate people), Shockoe Hill Cemetery (the girl who inspired one of Edgar Allen Poe’s poems, Elizabeth Van Lew who was a Union Spy during the Civil War)

St. John’s Church (Patrick Henry’s Give me Liberty or Death speech)

Maymont Park- a historic mansion, gardens, nature center, children’s farm

Agecroft Hall- English Tudor mansion brought over and reconstructed on the James River

Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens- very nice gardens including a great children’s area with a treehouse and other features.

The James River itself, very Richmond to play on the rocks in the river.

Tredegar Iron Works- I think this has been redone and is now some kind of Civil War Museum.

Oh...parking. Again, it’s been awhile since I’ve been but Richmond is a fairly small city. Most of the tourist spots have a parking lot or deck and you don’ t have to worry about street parking. I don’t remember parking being much of an issue in the places I mentioned above.

Our favorite museums when our kids were those ages:

Science Museum of Virginia - wonderful exhibit halls + IMAX theater

Children's Museum of Richmond - the main location is next door to the Science Museum. Lots of hands-on, art room, etc.

Both of these museums are on Broad Street a bit west of downtown and have free parking; they're not hard to access at all! Driving downtown makes me nervous, but this area isn't so busy.

The next two might be enjoyable to the older kids (not as much hands-on stuff, but still worth seeing). They're also in the same museum district on North Boulevard w/ free parking in the back.

Virginia Museum of Fine Arts - recently renovated, gorgeous display of Impressionists

Virginia Historical Society

We're expecting a lovely fall day tomorrow, so I'd also recommend

Maymont Park for a fun family outing - you can tour the estate house, stroll through the Italian and Japanese gardens, visit the wildlife exhibits, the children's farm, and the nature center (don't miss the otters!)

Hope you have a fun visit.:)

Thank you everybody. I am so excited to get to go to Richmond and can't wait to see everything. Science Museum is a definite. Is walking the Monument Ave feasible? Is the Petersburg National Battlefield close to Pamplin Park? Is that any good? I have the places you all have recommended bookmarked. I'll be busy reading tonight. Nothing like waiting till the last minute. :)

ETA: Would Maymont still be good after visiting Mt. Vernon?

Edited by Andalasia
more questions

The science museum, art museum and historical society are all within a few miles of each other. Well, the art and historical are next to each other. and i believe they are both free?

I think there is parking at Belle Island, but i actually dont go downtown unless I can help it. When I go to the river i usually go to Pony Pasture but its pretty remote and really best for wading in (and its kinda chilly for that right now)

Btw, the state fair is in town (or rather, north of town).

ETA: Would Maymont still be good after visiting Mt. Vernon?

Yes, they are very different. It depends on how much you like historic houses as to whether you want to tour the mansion. Maymont Park is a great park on its own.

Where would we park to do this?

Oh, goodness, that’s hard for me to remember or describe.

Here is one website that describes it..http://www.jamesriverpark.org/visit-the-park/getting-on-the-river.php. The place we would go a lot is called the Pony Pasture.

But if you’re only there for one day it might not be the best thing to do.

Edited by Alice
ETA: I guess we were all answering at the same time. :)

I've only been to Richmond a handful of times (4?), but I wanted to encourage you about the parking. I do not parallel park, but each time I've been there, I've successfully parked by the Capitol either on the street or in nearby lots. The first time was the most nervewracking, since I didn't know what to expect.

But a prior poster is right, Richmond is really not that big of a city. I wouldn't be able to park in one spot and see all of downtown, but looking for parking wasn't scary at all.

Have fun!!

I’m from Richmond but it’s been a while since I’ve been there as anything more than visting my parents. :) Here are a few thoughts....

The Art Museum is very nice, dh and I went recently and were impressed.

The Science Museum is good and fun for kids.

The Children’s Museum is fairly lame, in my opinion, I’d avoid it.

The Capitol Building is recently renovated and designed by Jefferson.

I’ve never been but I have the Gray House/Museum of the Confederacy on my list to see one day when we are studying the Civil War.

The Fan used to be a funky area with lots of shops, restaurants, very arty people but it’s been a long time since I’ve been there.

A drive down Monument Ave. is interesting and free to see all the statues of Confederate people.

Two cemeteries....Hollywood Cemetery (two presidents, Jefferson Davis, more Confederate people), Shockoe Hill Cemetery (the girl who inspired one of Edgar Allen Poe’s poems, Elizabeth Van Lew who was a Union Spy during the Civil War)

St. John’s Church (Patrick Henry’s Give me Liberty or Death speech)

Maymont Park- a historic mansion, gardens, nature center, children’s farm

Agecroft Hall- English Tudor mansion brought over and reconstructed on the James River

Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens- very nice gardens including a great children’s area with a treehouse and other features.

The James River itself, very Richmond to play on the rocks in the river.

Tredegar Iron Works- I think this has been redone and is now some kind of Civil War Museum.

Oh...parking. Again, it’s been awhile since I’ve been but Richmond is a fairly small city. Most of the tourist spots have a parking lot or deck and you don’ t have to worry about street parking. I don’t remember parking being much of an issue in the places I mentioned above.

:iagree: with all of this.