Menu

I need positive ideas for child who steals.

SKL

My dd5 loves sugar and will take it (and sometimes other snacks) without permission. Bad enough when she does this at home, but there have been several incidents where she's swiped or tried to swipe from outsiders. We've talked about this and she's been punished in various ways, but it's like talking to a brick wall. She is wired a bit atypically, which is probably why the traditional approaches are not working.

Somehow I need to get my dd to respect others' property enough to counteract the temptation to help herself to it.

Any ideas? :bigear:

My dd5 loves sugar and will take it (and sometimes other snacks) without permission. Bad enough when she does this at home, but there have been several incidents where she's swiped or tried to swipe from outsiders. We've talked about this and she's been punished in various ways, but it's like talking to a brick wall. She is wired a bit atypically, which is probably why the traditional approaches are not working.

Somehow I need to get my dd to respect others' property enough to counteract the temptation to help herself to it.

My son has autism and was really bad about taking stuff when he was younger. The thing that made him stop was we started taking his stuff. He caught on real quick and stopped. My daughter had a class party and she was taking cookies, well he got up in the middle of the night and ate every one. That was it. I took the kids got some cookies and treats for everyone but him. We came home and I told the other kids to start sneaking his stuff. He didn't like it.

We have had problems with stealing in the past. It really seemed to make an impact on my boys when I had them write an apology and apologize verbally on delivery. For my oldest, who has impulse control issues, I think time is what helped the most.

When my dd was stealing sweets from the house, I did two things:

A) I made sure she was getting enough food (she has low blood sugar)

B) I got rid off all extra candy (no holliday candy after two days, no candy in the house) my baking things (marshmallows, Choc chips ect..) I put into a rubbermaid container and taped it shut and wrote all over the tape--- things like momma cannot make desserts if you eat the ingredients, This is stealing!!

You steal from everyone when you steal. (list family members) Jesus wouldn't like you stealing----

I don't know, but if you try spanking, you may not want to mention that over in the other thread... Things are turning pretty ugly over there and you might be eaten alive. :eek:

(I wish I had some real ideas for you, but I honestly don't have a clue. Have you had her sugar levels checked by a doctor to see if she might have an actual physical craving for sugar?)

I don't know, but if you try spanking, you may not want to mention that over in the other thread... Things are turning pretty ugly over there and you might be eaten alive. :eek:

(I wish I had some real ideas for you, but I honestly don't have a clue. Have you had her sugar levels checked by a doctor to see if she might have an actual physical craving for sugar?)

I know - this child is weird, though. One time I spanked (one swat with open hand on butt :tongue_smilie:) for this type of offense and she just sat there and looked at me and said "OK." She has an odd thing with feeling pain. Sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't. It's almost like she can turn it on and off, or more like, if something stronger is motivating her, she doesn't feel the pain. Sensory stuff that could be related to the sugar issue too - who knows?