Menu

How many days to leave dogs at home with a pet sitter

DawnM

who comes in twice a day?

I know the dogs will be cared for, fed, given attention twice per day, etc.....my neighbor comes over am and pm and gives them attention and food/water and puts them out for about 30-45 min each visit.

But how long do you feel is ok to leave them without you actually being there?

We have done two vacations of 2 weeks before and they were fine, but I wondered if that was too long?

DH wants to do another 2 week vacation (well, one week is for work for him and we would tack on a week for HIM to actually get a vacation while there.)

Thoughts?

Dawn

She can't. She works full time.

Her daughter used to do it but that girl thought it appropriate to go away to college this year! The NERVE of her! ;-)

For a two week vacation, I'd probably add a 3rd visit into the day from the pet sitter. More for socialization and play.

Dawn, I'm wrestling with the same thing. I'm thinking of having someone stay at my house AND having a pet sitter come in and give the dogs (and the ducks) extra attention. I would think a great deal of it is dependent upon how much time you spend with your animals too. I'm a SAHM. I'm almost always home. And the dogs sleep in our bedroom. I just think being left alone too much will make my anxious dog insane.

I dogsat for a weekend for 2 dogs. I had to go on Friday 1x, Saturday 2x and Sunday 1x. I added a 3rd on Saturday. I fed them 2x a day on Saturday and let them out each time. She preferred I didnt take them on a walk so I didnt or i would of.

For 2wks I come 3x a day if i was doing it. 4x if you had a puppy.

We aren't home all the time, but we are home far more than when I worked!

The dogs do keep each other company and neither is anxious.

We did have a dog in the past who freaked out and ran away while we were on vacation. But that time we were away for 3 weeks and we had only one dog. I hired someone to stay at our home for 3 weeks and after the first night or two she decided she liked her home and her things surrounding her better. :glare: And she did NOT let us know!~ I only found out after the dog broke through an upstairs window and ran away and I point blank asked her!

We have already done this twice, which is why Dh is telling me I baby them too much! :tongue_smilie: He says I do that to the kids too though, so, hey.....

Dawn

Dawn, I'm wrestling with the same thing. I'm thinking of having someone stay at my house AND having a pet sitter come in and give the dogs (and the ducks) extra attention. I would think a great deal of it is dependent upon how much time you spend with your animals too. I'm a SAHM. I'm almost always home. And the dogs sleep in our bedroom. I just think being left alone too much will make my anxious dog insane.

We did have a dog in the past who freaked out and ran away while we were on vacation. But that time we were away for 3 weeks and we had only one dog. I hired someone to stay at our home for 3 weeks and after the first night or two she decided she liked her home and her things surrounding her better. :glare: And she did NOT let us know!~ I only found out after the dog broke through an upstairs window and ran away and I point blank asked her!

WOW!!!!! I hope you didn't pay her for the days she was there~ and charged her for the broken window and any vet bills related to it.

The dogs are only getting a chance to go out twice a day? Unless they're paper trained or have access to a dog door so that they can "go" more often than that, then I wouldn't leave them for more than 24 hours. It's not healthy for dogs to have to "hold it" that long for days at a time. Three times a day is just barely acceptable IMO if you're going to be gone more than two or three days.

Edited by Pawz4me

I did not pay her. I didn't ask for money for the broken stuff.

Honestly, it turned into a huge ordeal. I won't even go into all of it.

It took us over a week to get our dog back. We went to the local shelter DAILY after work and I took pictures in, etc....

Dawn

WOW!!!!! I hope you didn't pay her for the days she was there~ and charged her for the broken window and any vet bills related to it.

I keep my dog with me almost all the time. Most people would say that I spoil my pup. I take him to be boarded when we can't take him with us. Seriously, it's awesome! He has his own spot to be with inside/outside access and I pay $5.00 extra each day to have him played with. He actually loves it and comes home exhausted! :) I have him bathed/groomed right before I pick him up. Perfect! :)

Our dogs HATE it, get fleas almost every time, and are a frazzled mess when we pick them up.

It is also $60 per day.

I find they feel much more comfortable in their own home and it is less expensive.

Dawn

I keep my dog with me almost all the time. Most people would say that I spoil my pup. I take him to be boarded when we can't take him with us. Seriously, it's awesome! He has his own spot to be with inside/outside access and I pay $5.00 extra each day to have him played with. He actually loves it and comes home exhausted! :) I have him bathed/groomed right before I pick him up. Perfect! :)
Edited by DawnM

We have tried to find someone before. So far we have never found anyone willing. We live pretty far out.

Dawn

Maybe a house sitter in addition to the pet sitter (i.e. a working person, college student, trustworthy older teen?) who could sleep there at night might be a solution.

My 17yod started...probably a year ago...house sitting for people. She stays at their house, eats their food, takes care of any pets, and they usually pay her about $20 a day. She loves the time away from the younger kids, and can take her school work with her. Do you know any older hsers that would be willing?

No. I put ads in our local homeschool group but haven't had any takers in our many years of vacationing.

I think we just live too far out for most people.

Dawn

My 17yod started...probably a year ago...house sitting for people. She stays at their house, eats their food, takes care of any pets, and they usually pay her about $20 a day. She loves the time away from the younger kids, and can take her school work with her. Do you know any older hsers that would be willing?

Wow, ours is $15 a day plus the $5 to play with them... and it's not twice as expensive for 2 dogs, if they share a huge kennel :( Sounds like yours are really expensive.... Not trying to dissuade you, but there are such a range of kennels. The first one that I was going to use... I almost cried when I thought that would be my only choice... then I found this one :)

Any relatives who would like a vacation where you live? The kids and I treat dog sitting for relatives as a vacation:) we stay at their house the entire time and look at it as a break from reality;) I do bring school work if it's longer than a week!