Menu

Essential buys for just starting up

We're only doing kindergarten, but so far the things we've gotten the most use out of are:

1) A Globe

2) 100 bead abacus (we got ours at Ikea)

3) printer paper. LOTS of printer paper. Every darn activity seems to require at least 5 sheets to draw on, cut out, glue, and then dispose of someplace random around the house.

This is a What Not to Buy suggestion.

When Walmart or some corner drug store puts crayons or glue sticks or rulers or whatever on an incredibly low price loss leader, do NOT get carried away with enthusiasm and think, "I will buy $5.00 worth!"

You will end up with enough of those supplies (that will need stored in a way that they can be found in subsequent years) to last you at least until the child for whom they were purchased graduates from high school. And believe me, they do slow down with the crayon usage rates around 8th or 9th grade! I wonder if my dd will be willing to let me slip some crayons and a glue stick or two into her backpack when she goes off to community college for 11th grade?:tongue_smilie:

3) printer paper. LOTS of printer paper. Every darn activity seems to require at least 5 sheets to draw on, cut out, glue, and then dispose of someplace random around the house

:iagree: And toner refills

When dc were younger, we used watercolors, square crayons, watercolor paper, yarn and felt (yep, Waldorf). As they got bigger, it changed to colored pencils, then notebooks, pens, printer paper and toner, and finally laptops. Stapler and holepunch helps with the organizing.

globe

laminated world map for the wall (my kids love our with flags of different countries around the edges)

laminated US may for the wall- again with state flags. If I only had room for one map I would chose the US map

reams of printer paper (my kids go through it like crazy)

crayola crayons, crayola washable markers, colored pencils, scissors, glue sticks, elmer's glue, construction paper

pencils and a good pencil sharpener

a decent stapler

watercolors and watercolor paper (I buy the pads in the $ section at Jo ann fabrics)

washable tempera paint and large paper to paint on

I have accumulated some fun art supplies over the years- dot markers, stamps, glitter paint, chalks and oils, etc

Another vote for a good globe.

Tons of paper, tons of it (and I've just learned they make 3 hole punched printer paper, thanks to this thread! Woo hoo!).

A good 3 hole puncher, if you're not going to buy the above. :)

I love binders. Specifically, the Better Binders at Staples. But don't go crazy, just buy them as needed.

If you do a lot of printing, consider a CISS for your printer (Continuous Ink Supply System). That purchase has saved us gobs of money in ink.

Pencils and an electric sharpener.

One nice, large whiteboard is a bonus. A small whiteboard for the lap is good, too. We really only use our whiteboard for AAS, but for that it's indispensable. The smaller one gets pulled out a lot during math.

My DS says that chocolate chips are essential for days when math is Just. Too. Hard. Chocolate chips - one for each problem - really perk him up.

Coffee. Lots of extra coffee. And chocolate, for you. Whatever secret vice will get you through the tough days.

Oh, and wine for the evenings once the kids are in bed. :D

My first grader mostly uses:

Lap-sized white board

Dry erase markers and erasers

Ticonderoga pencils (the best!)

Good crayons

Colored pencils

Glue sticks

Paper

Ruler

2 binders

Set of dividers

For my middle two (almost 5 and newly 3):

C rods

Playing cards

Construction paper

Glue

Googly eyes

Paint

Scissors

For me (to enrich):

Cardstock (white and colored)

Double-sided tape

Straight cutter

Laminator

Good hole punch

Proclick (not necessary but SO NICE)

Candy

+1 on the electric pencil sharpener

Also, I got a ton of use out of a few "PotLux" plastic disposable dishes, for containing messy projects of various sorts (beads, glitter, manipulatives, catching drips on science projects, place to set blobs of paper and glue to dry, etc.) They were maybe 4 bucks a piece at the grocery store and lasted forever.

For anyone who thinks a small dry erase board is essential check out this company:

http://www.dryerase.com/default

They will send you a free sample board. Look on the product page for the storyboards in the elementary section or the lined board in the upper grade section. The back of the sample board is blank with their logo in the corner. You can also get a sample marker & eraser. They are much nicer than the ones from office supply stores.

Amber in SJ

I don't know how old your kids are, but I have three little kids and what I discovered needed to happen was that DD has her own pencil case that is JUST for her school supplies. She has markers, crayons, pencils, a pencil sharpener, an eraser, a pen, a pair of scissors, and a glue stick in there. And other odds and ends sort of wander in and out, which is fine.

I take out the pencil case when she starts working, and put it on a high shelf when she's done. This way I am CERTAIN we have the supplies we need on hand to do an exercise or simple project right away. Otherwise, things get lost or broken too easily and we spend 30 minutes looking for a red marker to do a 30 second color-the-apple activity.

Another vote for a good globe.

Tons of paper, tons of it (and I've just learned they make 3 hole punched printer paper, thanks to this thread! Woo hoo!).

A good 3 hole puncher, if you're not going to buy the above. :)

I love binders. Specifically, the Better Binders at Staples. But don't go crazy, just buy them as needed.

If you do a lot of printing, consider a CISS for your printer (Continuous Ink Supply System). That purchase has saved us gobs of money in ink.

Pencils and an electric sharpener.

One nice, large whiteboard is a bonus. A small whiteboard for the lap is good, too. We really only use our whiteboard for AAS, but for that it's indispensable. The smaller one gets pulled out a lot during math.

My DS says that chocolate chips are essential for days when math is Just. Too. Hard. Chocolate chips - one for each problem - really perk him up.

Coffee. Lots of extra coffee. And chocolate, for you. Whatever secret vice will get you through the tough days.

Oh, and wine for the evenings once the kids are in bed. :D

I like your essentials! :lol:

For us, pencils and paper and extra erasers - especially these! Ds8 is murder on erasers. :glare: A white board and wall maps/globe/atlas too.

Printer

Printer paper

Computer

Writing paper

Pencils

Library card

There are enough free resources that you can go very far with just that. You could even potentially skip any particular element of that (tablet computer with an annotating program can replace printer and paper, public domain books can replace library card), but that's a comfortable bare basics.