Menu

yeast-free fried "doughnuts"??

My mama calls them whomp donuts or poor-folk donuts - but if you have canned biscuits, you can cut those smaller and fry them up. I just never have canned biscuits around now but I loved them as a kid rolled in sugar and cinnamon.

You can also do fry bread which isn't a yeast bread either. Mine never turns out so well, so I have no good recipe to recommend.

My mama calls them whomp donuts or poor-folk donuts - but if you have canned biscuits, you can cut those smaller and fry them up. I just never have canned biscuits around now but I loved them as a kid rolled in sugar and cinnamon.

You can also do fry bread which isn't a yeast bread either. Mine never turns out so well, so I have no good recipe to recommend.

We call them whack-'em donuts! We cut out the center of the biscuit with a bottle cap, and fry the donuts and the donut holes.

BTW - you can make these with homemade biscuit dough. Doesn't have to be the canned dough. Simple baking-powder biscuit dough, drop by teaspoons into hot oil. My grandma made these for us lots of times growing up for a treat. Yummy!