Menu

Do you make your own pet (cat) food?

raw is so much easier :D

My cats are outdoors and hunt regularly. We don't feed them a whole lot because of that. They are healthy and sleek. They actually get a high quality dry cat food. I thought about switching them to raw, but the cats belong to the kids and they take care of them. I just buy the food, lol.

I don't have a food plan, per se, but I will usually make a small plate of raw meat for our kitty when I'm cooking dinner -- she seems partial to raw beef or lamb over chicken. I just cut it into small pieces. I gave her liver once, which she liked, but when I tried freezing individual portions of that and then giving her a thawed out one she didn't like it at all. So she seems to prefer fresh.

We have packaged food for other meals.

raw is so much easier :D

My cats are outdoors and hunt regularly. We don't feed them a whole lot because of that. They are healthy and sleek. They actually get a high quality dry cat food. I thought about switching them to raw, but the cats belong to the kids and they take care of them. I just buy the food, lol.

I should have explained in my post that this is for an older, indoor cat. The vet told me that she was in kidney failure, and wanted to know when I wanted to put her down. :glare: He also told me to give her the meat baby food. That was all he said. I don't think he wants to be bothered with an older cat.

She is eating all of what I have prepared for her so far, and seems to be gaining weight. She is constantly wanting more food. I originally took her to the vet to see if she had hyperthyroidism, but he felt she didn't, so he didn't check her for that.

I've prepared home-cooked food for my dogs, but not for the cats.

I know several very knowledgeable raw feeders, and I occasionally give my dogs a raw bone for recreational chewing. But I wouldn't give an older pet with a health issue or any immune-compromised pet a raw diet. JMHO.

2lbs tripe (preferably from the butcher, not bleached on the shelf)

2lbs beef (or any meat)

2 eggs (grind up shell and add if possible)

1lb organ meat

1lb veggies and fruit.

That will feed one of my dogs for a few days since I should be feeding 2-3% of their body weight for adults dogs. Every 4-5th day I get a turkey and chop it up and let them chew on it. There are things they'll get from the bones that they won't get just from the meat. Do NOT cook the bones though. A few additives that are good for them in are salmon oil, kelp, alfalfa, and vitamin C.

I started feeding some of my dogs to eliminate the allergy problems that they were having. Strangely, the pit bull here supposedly can't handle beef or chicken in dog food, but if he gets it fresh, he does just fine.

I'm sure you could cook all this if you wanted too. Our cat does well with it as well, but I obviously don't give her the meaty bones.

Edited by Dory

Thanks for the responses.

I forgot to post that I am adding in taurine, wild salmon oil, and B vitamins. I read about adding in kelp, so I need to research that further.

Today I'm baking chicken thighs again, and plan to add some mushy rice in when I whiz it all up in the food processor. Should I add in some dry egg shells, too?

Thanks for the responses.

I forgot to post that I am adding in taurine, wild salmon oil, and B vitamins. I read about adding in kelp, so I need to research that further.

Today I'm baking chicken thighs again, and plan to add some mushy rice in when I whiz it all up in the food processor. Should I add in some dry egg shells, too?

The egg shells are an excellent source of calcium.

I use the raw food plan from The Natural Cat by Anitra Frazier.

4 parts ground turkey + 1 tsp. powdered calcium per pound

2 tsp. butter per pound of meat (if meat is less than 15% fat)

1 organic egg per pound of meat

1 part vegetable

• steamed broccoli or asparagus
  • finely grated carrot or zucchini
  • finely cut alfalfa or clover sprouts
  • baked carrot or winter squash
  • organic canned pumpkin
  • organic canned tomato sauce

Add in 1 crushed Nu-Cat multivitamin and 1/2 - 1 tsp. Vita-Mineral Mix to each cat's portion at mealtime.

Vita-Mineral Mix

1 1/2 C nutritional yeast

1/4 C kelp powder

1 C lecithin granules

2 C wheat bran

2 C bonemeal

I sometimes buy them fresh fish or vertebrae bones with meat still attached as well.

Edited by contessa20

I use the raw food plan from The Natural Cat by Anitra Frazier.

Add in 1 crushed Nu-Cat multivitamin and 1/2 - 1 tsp. Vita-Mineral Mix to each cat's portion at mealtime.

Thank you for the book recommendation. I'll see if the library has a copy. I probably need to start my own notebook of recipes that seem to be liked by her.

I should have explained in my post that this is for an older, indoor cat. The vet told me that she was in kidney failure, and wanted to know when I wanted to put her down. :glare: He also told me to give her the meat baby food. That was all he said. I don't think he wants to be bothered with an older cat.

She is eating all of what I have prepared for her so far, and seems to be gaining weight. She is constantly wanting more food. I originally took her to the vet to see if she had hyperthyroidism, but he felt she didn't, so he didn't check her for that.

:grouphug:

Are you giving her Sub-Q fluids at home? If not, I would request that the vet. show you how to do it and supply you with the needed materials. A cat in kidney failure who is on Sub-Q fluids at least once or twice daily will typically live FAR longer than those who are not. This is the single most important thing you can do to make your cat comfortable and help her to flush out the toxic wastes that are building up in her body.

The extra fluids (as well as copious drinking and urinating) will dilute the urine, which makes it less acidic. This can cause a growth of germs and crystal formation in the bladder. To combat this, you can add any of the following to her food:

• about 1/16 tsp. ascorbic acid
  • a raw organic egg yolk
  • raw meat
  • 10 mg. vitamin B
  • sprinkle of potassium chloride

You could check with a holistic veterinarian as well. They will likely give you some Bach Flower Remedies and such to help.

:grouphug:

Are you giving her Sub-Q fluids at home? If not, I would request that the vet. show you how to do it and supply you with the needed materials. A cat in kidney failure who is on Sub-Q fluids at least once or twice daily will typically live FAR longer than those who are not. This is the single most important thing you can do to make your cat comfortable and help her to flush out the toxic wastes that are building up in her body.

The extra fluids (as well as copious drinking and urinating) will dilute the urine, which makes it less acidic. This can cause a growth of germs and crystal formation in the bladder. To combat this, you can add any of the following to her food:

• about 1/16 tsp. ascorbic acid

• a raw organic egg yolk

• raw meat

• 10 mg. vitamin B

• sprinkle of potassium chloride

You could check with a holistic veterinarian as well. They will likely give you some Bach Flower Remedies and such to help.

No, I'm not giving fluids at home. The vet more or less sent her home to die. :( He told me to buy the meat flavor of baby food and give that to her, and to call him when we are ready to put her down. I'm trying to do my best by researching things I can do for her on my own. When I looked at the ingredient list on the baby food, I thought that I could do much better than that. I have not fed any kind of homemade food before, so this is my first go-around with it.

I very much appreciate your help. I am giving her the B vitamins in liquid mixed into the chicken and chicken/liver mixture.

One more question..... Is salmon okay?

Eating a ton and still losing weight are the main signs of hyperthyroidism. Odd he wouldn't check for that!

I agree with the PP about fluids at home...they really make them feel better if they will let you do it. Also, there are supplements that help to flush the waste products into the colon instead of the kidneys...can't remember the name off the top of my head...perhaps someone here knows?

No, I'm not giving fluids at home. The vet more or less sent her home to die. :( He told me to buy the meat flavor of baby food and give that to her, and to call him when we are ready to put her down. I'm trying to do my best by researching things I can do for her on my own. When I looked at the ingredient list on the baby food, I thought that I could do much better than that. I have not fed any kind of homemade food before, so this is my first go-around with it.

I very much appreciate your help. I am giving her the B vitamins in liquid mixed into the chicken and chicken/liver mixture.

One more question..... Is salmon okay?

Your vet is not being supportive of your choices and it is important for you to stand up for yourself and your cat. My suggestion would be to call and ask them to help you with the Sub-Q fluids OR find a new vet. I'm sorry, but they really are THAT important to a cat with kidney failure. My mother-in-law's Siamese was in kidney failure for YEARS. She was on Sub-Q fluids for quite awhile toward the end and ended up living to be 19 yrs. old. It really matters that much. Your cat's kidney function is likely at 25% or less right now. Cats can compensate for reduced kidney function up to about a 75% loss. In fact, they oftentimes won't even show symptoms until that point. Without additional help from the fluids she is both incredibly dehydrated and dealing with a toxic body. She is unable to drink enough to flush the toxins out of her body. The excess toxins and dehydration will cause a significant amount of pain, particularly in her joints.

As for fish, I would stay away from the salmon for her. Salmon is a carnivorous fish and will contain larger amounts of mercury than a bottom feeder. Typically, this isn't a HUGE problem as long as you're not feeding these types of fish exclusively. However, with a cat who is in kidney failure you're already dealing with massive amounts of toxicity in the body and you don't want to add to that. If you want to feed fish, I would recommend something like cod, flounder, haddock, halibut etc. Absolutely never ever feed canned tuna though.

You'll also want to keep her away from any commercial cleaners, particularly those containing pine (like Pine-Sol). Pine contains a phenol that is known to cause kidney damage. Smelling it in the air is not healthy, but the real danger is licking any residue off of her paws. Again, you want to reduce the amount of toxic chemicals in her body and therefore in her environment. Any added chemicals in her environment or food will be an additional strain on her already failing kidneys.

Eating a ton and still losing weight are the main signs of hyperthyroidism. Odd he wouldn't check for that!

I think you may have misread. The OP said that the cat is eating a ton and still gaining weight. Unless that was a typo on her part.

Hyperthyroidism will typically present with symptoms like:

muscle weakness

hypersensitivity

vomiting

high blood pressure & fast pulse

hyperactivity

dull, dirty or overly oily coat

diarrhea

higher than average temperature

excessive drinking and urination (this would be present anyway, however, due to the kidney failure)

weight loss despite normal or excessive appetite

I would just add that I understand cooking it. I would cook the meat and stick it in the fridge, then I would crockpot the bones until they almost powder in your hand. They still look like they're whole, but when you mush on them they just kinda mush.... Just a note as I'm not sure what they look like after they are processed. And, I wouldn't want and pieces that aren't mush. (And then blend them together)

Sounds like you're doing a great job!! As another thought comes to mind... I wouldn't do organ meat for an animal that is having a hard time with toxins....

:grouphug:. You are a good owner. I definitely agree that Sub Q fluids are essential for your cat right now and with contessa about her food suggestions. My neighbors cat was in kidney failure for some time and got fluids as well. It did a lot of good for him. It's not hard to do once someone shows you how. I'd be calling another vet for a second opinion as well.

I think you may have misread. The OP said that the cat is eating a ton and still gaining weight. Unless that was a typo on her part.

Hyperthyroidism will typically present with symptoms like:

muscle weakness

hypersensitivity

vomiting

high blood pressure & fast pulse

hyperactivity

dull, dirty or overly oily coat

diarrhea

higher than average temperature

excessive drinking and urination (this would be present anyway, however, due to the kidney failure)

weight loss despite normal or excessive appetite

She did present with several of those symptoms initially, and was losing weight in spite of eating and wanting to eat. I was feeding Fancy Feast and sometimes Walmart brand canned food that is similar to the FF. (Yes, I know it's not great, but I don't live near a big pet store.)

Since bringing her home from the vet, I've changed her to the homemade diet, and she seems to be doing much better. Her strength has improved somewhat, and she seems more alert and moves around a bit more--well, moves from the kitchen to the dining room and back. Her coat looks much better, but she still drinks a lot and urinates a lot. I think she's gaining weight, as it appears as though she is filling out a bit. I'm hesitant to take her back to the vet for anything. The bill was almost $200 for the bit of labwork he did and her visit. He did not come out to talk to me, but called me on the phone while I was out running an errand. When I picked her up that day, an assistant brought her out to me and that was that. I guess I could have thrown a fit in his office, but around here, I don't think that would have done much. I'm trying to do the best I can do on my own at this point.

She did present with several of those symptoms initially, and was losing weight in spite of eating and wanting to eat. I was feeding Fancy Feast and sometimes Walmart brand canned food that is similar to the FF. (Yes, I know it's not great, but I don't live near a big pet store.)

Since bringing her home from the vet, I've changed her to the homemade diet, and she seems to be doing much better. Her strength has improved somewhat, and she seems more alert and moves around a bit more--well, moves from the kitchen to the dining room and back. Her coat looks much better, but she still drinks a lot and urinates a lot. I think she's gaining weight, as it appears as though she is filling out a bit. I'm hesitant to take her back to the vet for anything. The bill was almost $200 for the bit of labwork he did and her visit. He did not come out to talk to me, but called me on the phone while I was out running an errand. When I picked her up that day, an assistant brought her out to me and that was that. I guess I could have thrown a fit in his office, but around here, I don't think that would have done much. I'm trying to do the best I can do on my own at this point.

:grouphug: You're doing great.

I see. I misunderstood what you meant about her eating and gaining weight. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot on the traditional side of things you can do without your vet's support if you genuinely think your cat has hyperthyroidism. They would typically recommend surgery, Tapazol or another thyroid-inhibiting drug or Iodine. Chances are she wouldn't be a good candidate for any of those therapies anyway given her current state of health.

Your best place to start would be adding digestive enzymes to her food. This is not a bad idea regardless and won't hurt her either way. Really, it can only help. It won't cure a problematic thyroid; however, it helps to ensure that the nutrients in her food are actually being assimilated rather than swallowed and quickly passed through the digestive system.

Sub-Q fluids would also help by washing excess thyroxin hormones out of the body.

You might want to check out the Yahoo Group for cats with Chronic Renal Failure. I'm not a member there but I've been told that it is very helpful.

Feline CRF Support

Also, the series of 5 videos on their front page are quite good:

How is Kidney Disease Diagnosed

Understanding Kidney Disease

Dietary and Drug Therapy

Diuresis and Hospitalization

Subcutaneous Fluid Therapy

You might want to check out the Yahoo Group for cats with Chronic Renal Failure. I'm not a member there but I've been told that it is very helpful.

Feline CRF Support

Thank you so very much! I wish that the vet would have taken the time to point me in that direction, but unfortunately, he did not. I'm thankful for all of the help and support all of you have given me here. :)

Thank you so very much! I wish that the vet would have taken the time to point me in that direction, but unfortunately, he did not. I'm thankful for all of the help and support all of you have given me here. :)

You're very welcome. I love that you're working so hard to do what's best for your fur-baby.

So he did check the kidney enzymes? Was she dehydrated at the time, that could elevate them. My concern is that usually a kidney failure cat doesn't eat well at all...they get an upset stomach from the build up of toxins, and also acid reflux. So they stop eating. A cat that eats voraciously but loses weight, to me, is either diabetic or hyperthyroid, most of the time. Can you go to another vet? They can request the records so you don't have to repeat lab work you already did, and they can just send out a thyroid test.

I definitely agree that Sub Q fluids are essential for your cat right now

My neighbors cat was in kidney failure for some time and got fluids as well. It did a lot of good for him. It's not hard to do once someone shows you how. I'd be calling another vet for a second opinion as well.

:iagree: Is there another vet you can visit? My 17yo cat has been in kidney 'failure' for a couple of years now. I give him sub-q fluids 2x a week at home. It's a little strange to do the first time or two, but fine after that. It helps him immensely. My sister had a cat that lived for probably 5+ years in kidney failure. Using Benazepril (see below), plus the fluids gave her those extra years while feeling good.

Plus, if you can get a vet to do a urine analysis, if there is a certain protein present in the urine, having the cat take Benazepril (which is a blood pressure medicine, but w/ the side effect of helping prolong kidney function) helps. My cat also gets that. I order it online from a vet compounding pharmacy & it comes as a cream in a tube. I just twist the tube & rub the cream in his ears (it is absorbed through the skin) once a day.

Did the vet actually do any tests for kidney failure (since you took the cat in originally thinking of hyperthyroidism)?

Edited by Stacia

Sorry this is happening! :grouphug: I think its time for a new vet! Someone who will listen and take the time! We came home one night to find our Kitty almost lifeless in the corner, he was bleeding everywhere. Rushing to the emergency vet at midnight we were told kitty had 0 chance of survival and needed to be put to sleep. My dd was heartbroken :( I demanded treatment and kitty is still here today. Vets don't always have the answers, I would get a second opinion!