Menu

I quit my job.

As you may know because I yammer on and on about it here, my husband and I own a company together. We work a bajillion hours a week, 7 days a week and homeschool our 13 year old son at the office. I have found that I am not doing anything well. I don't feel that I am giving my son the best education I can provide and it means so much to me to be able to give this to him. He had homeschooled until 3rd grade, attended a private school for a couple of years, a public school for a month, and then another private school for a couple of years. I want to teach him to love learning again and I want to be able to dive into the subjects, maybe meshing classical and unschooling as much as possible? We have done okay so far but not great. This weekend, our older two kids came home from college and we talked about the craziness that is our household. My house is a wreck, my car smells bad, we eat out A LOT, I cringe every time my phone rings because I know it is work and that I have to answer it. So...I am finishing out this week and I am home.

I am keeping my license and my title will now be, 'Owner, agent, director of public relations and fun.' We invite the community in for yoga and classes at our office...I'm still in charge of that!

Anyway, I'm excited and a little sad. I love my job but I need to get a grip on the this home schooling thing and my HOUSE for a little while. I can't wait to cook, clean, paint some walls, clean the stink out of my car, dive headfirst into our Wheelock's book, relearn some algebra as I teach it, read all the books, learn about the Ancients again, write, look my sweet son in the eyes and not be distracted by the phone.

That sounds great. I love to work myself, but just like you said, my house my car, my kid's education all go downhill fast when I work too much. I do love to work, and I was just nominated as employee of the month for our whole hotel, which was a big deal, I never expected that because I do only work part time, but I took this week off to enjoy home school.

That sounds great. I love to work myself, but just like you said, my house my car, my kid's education all go downhill fast when I work too much. I do love to work, and I was just nominated as employee of the month for our whole hotel, which was a big deal, I never expected that because I do only work part time, but I took this week off to enjoy home school.

Congratulations! That's fantastic and you must be so proud! I do love to work, too. We have a little charity foundation I've been working on getting off the ground, maybe that can be my "other" occupation for a while. My husband thinks I will have so much energy left over at the end of the day that I will walk the dogs to death. ;) I'm hoping to focus on my son. :) This homeschooling thing is hard!

Oh, thank you, thank you... I actually stayed home this morning ( will need to go into the office tomorrow) and we have had the most wonderful morning being confounded together with his Saxon algebra. :) it is much more pleasant here! I got a nice run in this morning before anyone knew I was missing, actually folded the laundry coming out of the dryer, and wait for it...cleaned out my make up drawer! Now I am heading face first into our Latin. :D I hope you all have a fantastic morning, too!