Menu

I re-did my Blog (again) and wanting feedback

I was playing with my blog last week and ended up seriously messing things up, so I decided to just re-do it.

Wanting to get some opinions of how it looks. Is it easy on the eyes, easy to read, etc?

Also looking for new subscribers and new blogs to follow - I enjoy exchanging ideas with everyone.

Edited by fourcatmom

I love it. I cannot figure out how to start mine. Apparently I need a skin and I don't know what to do with it.

It is taken me many hours on Blogger to figure things out but it also helped me to look at alot of other blogs. I used to have a template but this time I just went into blogger and selected a different background and then added my own header which I just created in PicMonkey. PM me if you have questions, but I am not an expert by any means. There are some great blogs out there and I am just trying to have a one that is pleasing to the eye that I enjoy updating. :001_smile:

(insert a million nice comments on commitment & usefulness)

Do you know what "jump fields" are?

Here's an example of what a jump field is

http://whiteonricecouple.com/

Look at a blog entry, and scan for the little brown icon that says: "Continue Reading" -

It might be something you want to look over so the literal divisions of posts are a little more even (said to be helpful, you appear to be really layout savvy)

(insert a million nice comments on commitment & usefulness)

Do you know what "jump fields" are?

Here's an example of what a jump field is

http://whiteonricecouple.com/

Look at a blog entry, and scan for the little brown icon that says: "Continue Reading" -

It might be something you want to look over so the literal divisions of posts are a little more even (said to be helpful, you appear to be really layout savvy)

I like that and have never seen them before. ETA: I figured it out. I just need to see if I can make it bigger, that's a cool idea. I think it's too small and too dark that people won't see it. I updated the last post about Christopher Columbus with it but it just looks too small.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I will go back and check out your blogs as well and join up.

Now I just have to figure out how to get my navbar to come back.

Edited by fourcatmom

The only thing I noticed is that it is too wide. Granted, I have a smaller screen, but most blogs adjust to it and I don't have to scroll from one side to the other. The title is also a little hard to read against the wood background b/c it is so dark. Otherwise, I like the colors, the text and your pictures stand out well against it, and it generally reads really easily.

The only thing I noticed is that it is too wide. Granted, I have a smaller screen, but most blogs adjust to it and I don't have to scroll from one side to the other. The title is also a little hard to read against the wood background b/c it is so dark. Otherwise, I like the colors, the text and your pictures stand out well against it, and it generally reads really easily.

Really lovely. Beautiful photos.

My only suggestion is that the darkish green text is difficult to read wherever it appears against the brown background, such as the title and your "Many blessings" signature.

Erica in OR

Thank you, great feedback. Some of the things were already on there and I just haven't gone back to change the colors. I can adjust the colors on the title, I wasn't sure if people could read it. I can look at the width too.

Thanks again!

I like the wood plank look and pictures across the top -- nice colors and soothing scenes. I can't really read your title though. Can it have its own box? So it isn't on the wood, but on something lighter?

I'll miss the picture of your girls, but I always thought they were the ages they were in the picture (little).

I like the wood plank look and pictures across the top -- nice colors and soothing scenes. I can't really read your title though. Can it have its own box? So it isn't on the wood, but on something lighter?

I'll miss the picture of your girls, but I always thought they were the ages they were in the picture (little).

I had heard that from others as well, that it implied I had younger kids. I did actually have a different picture posted before this one of them, I can put that back on and see if people like it but I kind of liked the colors of the nature pictures too....not sure how to do both. I am working on title...

Thanks! :001_smile:

ETA : Changed the top picture, this is what I was originally going to us...which do like better. Girls or Nature pics?

I had heard that from others as well, that it implied I had younger kids. I did actually have a different picture posted before this one of them, I can put that back on and see if people like it but I kind of liked the colors of the nature pictures too....not sure how to do both. I am working on title...

Thanks! :001_smile:

ETA : Changed the top picture, this is what I was originally going to us...which do like better. Girls or Nature pics?

I like the pic of your girls. I think it works well with your color scheme, ties in with the planks because the swing is made with planks, and they're super cute! :001_smile:

I like the pic of your girls. I think it works well with your color scheme, ties in with the planks because the swing is made with planks, and they're super cute! :001_smile:

Did you see the nature pictures? I liked the pictures of the girls but I thought the nature added more color to it and it seemed like too much brown. Thanks for the comments!

I think your new header picture looks really nice! It complements your scheme really well, and I can easily read the title. :) I think you add enough colorful pictures in the body of your blog, which is what people see the majority of the time. They only see your header when they first start reading and when the page changes. The rest of the time it is colorful.

Great job! I love the picture on the swing. I have to work on my blog some when I get the time.

I think your new header picture looks really nice! It complements your scheme really well, and I can easily read the title. :) I think you add enough colorful pictures in the body of your blog, which is what people see the majority of the time. They only see your header when they first start reading and when the page changes. The rest of the time it is colorful.

Thank you. Okay, I will keep the swing picture. I appreciate everyone's help! It's good to get second opinions and I appreciate the help! :001_smile:

I thought the nature pictures more eye-catching with the amazing blues & greens contrasting with the wood planking. The swing picture seems to make the whole thing...monochromatic. :lol:

The title color is still hard for me to read and the font doesn't seem to match the theme of the blog. The layout visual theme, not necessarily how you post. I can't see your "signature" well either, can you make it a part of the comments button?

I'm trying not to be grumpy and critical. I haven't even bothered to try to figure out how do do such things on my blog (let alone keep up with posting interesting goings-on!).

I thought the nature pictures more eye-catching with the amazing blues & greens contrasting with the wood planking. The swing picture seems to make the whole thing...monochromatic. :lol:

The title color is still hard for me to read and the font doesn't seem to match the theme of the blog. The layout visual theme, not necessarily how you post. I can't see your "signature" well either, can you make it a part of the comments button?

I'm trying not to be grumpy and critical. I haven't even bothered to try to figure out how do do such things on my blog (let alone keep up with posting interesting goings-on!).

Your not being critical. I asked for the advice because it helps to know what other people see. I have looked at it for so long, I am going to miss things. I still need to work on signatures and things since those were done with the old template, I haven't gone back to change colors of everything so that's why they are still hard to see. I like both pictures. I also thought the colors added something different on the banner. I am trying to combine both but haven't figured it out yet.

To the other poster about the picture, that was just a basic color picture and I changed it in PicMonkey.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. It helps to get the opinions of others. I do appreciate it! :001_smile:

ETA: Changed it up again. Trying to take everyone's advice!

Edited by fourcatmom

I like the color pictures across the top. The bird footprint picture is difficult to see.

I like the white color for the font, but think it would stand out more with a more creative or dramatic font.

I like the new look, but I loved your old look. The pics of your girls added a lot. It was more personal and gave me more of a homeschool feeling rather than a nature blog feeling. Please don't misunderstand...it is beautiful, but a much different feel.

I do not blog, so I do not know the terminology, but I surf on my phone a lot and tend not to stay on blogs as long when they have the "bullet style" divisions rather than the paragraphs of writing with hot links on the side.

I am on my phone now, so I am not sure if it would look the same on my laptop.

From what I have read, a goal is to get the reader to stay on your blog and visit as many pages as possible. I tend to do this when I see other interesting topics on the page, or months on the side showing other posts, etc.....kind of like hopping from one rock to another when crossing a creek.

This may not make *any* sense, so pm me if you want! :D

I like the color pictures across the top. The bird footprint picture is difficult to see.

I like the white color for the font, but think it would stand out more with a more creative or dramatic font.

I like the new look, but I loved your old look. The pics of your girls added a lot. It was more personal and gave me more of a homeschool feeling rather than a nature blog feeling. Please don't misunderstand...it is beautiful, but a much different feel.

I do not blog, so I do not know the terminology, but I surf on my phone a lot and tend not to stay on blogs as long when they have the "bullet style" divisions rather than the paragraphs of writing with hot links on the side.

I am on my phone now, so I am not sure if it would look the same on my laptop.

From what I have read, a goal is to get the reader to stay on your blog and visit as many pages as possible. I tend to do this when I see other interesting topics on the page, or months on the side showing other posts, etc.....kind of like hopping from one rock to another when crossing a creek.

This may not make *any* sense, so pm me if you want! :D

Those are great points. I think it was more of an attempt to show the many sides of homeschooling, the adventures and the learning that can happen outside of the home or classroom. I can see how it might be more misleading and such. I think I understand what you mean about the side style. I will keep playing with things. Thanks!:001_smile:

Those are great points. I think it was more of an attempt to show the many sides of homeschooling, the adventures and the learning that can happen outside of the home or classroom. I can see how it might be more misleading and such. I think I understand what you mean about the side style. I will keep playing with things. Thanks!:001_smile:

Oh, no....not misleading. I didn't mean that. I just meant that it had a different feel with all of the nature photos. Throw in a neat photo of some pencils (or something from your classroom) and it would have both.

Edited by besroma
An example would be the second pic on your August 8th post, or a picture of your girls' feet in the water or sand at the lake

I just looked again! :) I find the individual small pictures with color so much more striking -- I must be a visual person. I do like swing picture in the side bar.

However (in my obviously not-so-humble opinion) you shouldn't use just pictures of your girls when they were little! How about 1 little girl picture (with the two of them), two of those recent nature pictures, and an individual recent picture of each of them? Of course you can't make everyone happy all the time! :lol:

I just looked again! :) I find the individual small pictures with color so much more striking -- I must be a visual person. I do like swing picture in the side bar.

However (in my obviously not-so-humble opinion) you shouldn't use just pictures of your girls when they were little! How about 1 little girl picture (with the two of them), two of those recent nature pictures, and an individual recent picture of each of them? Of course you can't make everyone happy all the time! :lol:

I actually just changed it back to when they are older, with different kinds of pics....sorry I keep playing but trying to find what works. :D

And while I was posting you were updating! My kids are into archery also -- they all shoot traditional wooden recurves. :)

My 2yo likes the cat and horse pictures. :D

She has done 1 class and fell in love. Now she wants one for her birthday. Any suggestions, I am open to hearing about it. :001_smile: Yes, I have been busy. Playing around but I really must start my scheduling for the week or the kids will not have a list on Tuesday...but this is so much more fun! :D

BTW I love your daughters paintaing I wish I had some skill when it came to paint.