Menu

pre-calculus that isn't impossible?

I need something I can teach or dd can learn independently. We have done Saxon through Algebra 2, but she has needed more instruction in geometry. She is quite good at alegbraic math, but the geometric is more difficult for her. She needs more explaining, or perhaps a different approach than Saxon. We are filling in gaps with an independent geometry program. She has had many "ah ha" moments and is putting the pieces together. Several times, she has commented that various concepts now make sense to her when they didn't before with Saxon. Both of us are concerned about continuing with Saxon Adv Math. She is not going into a STEM field, but she wants a solid 4 years of math for the more competitive colleges/universities. She will finish the geometry program by Christmas, then I need another math for her that she can complete 2nd semester 11th grade and 12th grade.

Have you looked at Thinkwell? It has a free 2 week trial that lets you work through the first 2 chapters. It's not super-duper rigorous, but it's clear and engaging and straightforward enough. I would supplement it with the workbook as the online program doesn't have enough problems to ensure retention. Being online, it is very independent.

ChalkDust. I know, I know, it is pricey, but you can resell or reuse it easily, and the quality of the teaching on the DVDs is top-notch. I believe that you can request a sample DVD, and I encourage you to give that a try. The videos will suck you in even if you have no interest in the subject matter. The precalc program would be excellent for spreading across 3 semesters, as CD says, and I agree, that it is the meatiest of their programs.

Terri

Chalkdust's sounds good, especially since there's some review of algebra near the beginning which may be especially necessary when changing programs. It's frequently spread over 3 semesters as there's a LOT of stuff in the book. It also uses a college-style book which will be a nice transition.

TT would work for that.

I'm leaning more toward TT. Dd does not like computer based learning, and the pre-calc is not the self grading style of the other programs we have used. But, I confess to a bit of "sticker shock" when I looked at ChalkDust. Going over lesson plans this weekend, I really think she will finish up the geometry by Oct. It is so good to see her grasping the concepts and figuring out so many things! But, now, I need to get ready for the next step.......