Menu

Where have I been?

Just in case anyone has been wondering since I've suddenly dropped a few conversations and haven't poked in on many threads:

My mom has been fighting a serious cancer all summer and my dad suddenly became disabled from a neurological disease. I've spent all summer helping out at their house. My mom had to be taken to the hospital on Sunday night and this week has been a wild ride. We are hoping for her to be well enough to be discharged to a skilled nursing facility for rehab early next week. Meanwhile, I have become a sleep-deprived mess trying to keep all my most important balls in the air.

The hard part for me is that my son's needs have been completely ignored. Poor guy even had to do his homework for math class last night with zero help from me. I had to sit with him throughout every entire math lesson last semester. I have no idea how well he did. I sat down for a bit last night to see if I could help quickly but my eyes just glazed over. I couldn't even comprehend at 10:30 at night with very little sleep for a week. Maybe this will be the semester he makes it all work for himself. We'll see.

Thanks for checking in with us. I have always appreciated your posts and wisdom. It sounds like you are being stretched really thin.

You know, this could be an important time of growth for you son as he is reaching independence. I know you both will figure out what he needs to have support, as you have done all along.

Take care of yourself, too.:grouphug::grouphug:

Thanks for the hugs, prayers, and well wishes. Mom is still in the hospital. They are having difficulty keeping her blood pressure up without IV medication. Not sure what the magic cocktail of oral meds will be.

Meanwhile, I am still staying down here at my parents' house. My girls have both come in for a short time to see their grandmother and help out a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Continued prayers and good thoughts appreciated. Mom was moved to the skilled nursing facility for rehab last Saturday. She is getting PT, OT, and Speech. She is sitting up in a wheelchair now for about 3 hours a day. Yesterday, she stood in the parallel bars and took about 4 steps with help. It's slow going but Mom is so much better than she was 2-3 weeks ago.

Meanwhile, my son has been thrown into the deep end at school. It's sink or swim, baby, and I'm not sure how that's going to come out. So far, I'm not impressed with his grades on the few assignments he has done. It also sounds like lack of imposed structure at home means that things are getting done at the last minute and with little effort expended.

Just in case anyone has been wondering since I've suddenly dropped a few conversations and haven't poked in on many threads:

My mom has been fighting a serious cancer all summer and my dad suddenly became disabled from a neurological disease. I've spent all summer helping out at their house. My mom had to be taken to the hospital on Sunday night and this week has been a wild ride. We are hoping for her to be well enough to be discharged to a skilled nursing facility for rehab early next week. Meanwhile, I have become a sleep-deprived mess trying to keep all my most important balls in the air.

The hard part for me is that my son's needs have been completely ignored. Poor guy even had to do his homework for math class last night with zero help from me. I had to sit with him throughout every entire math lesson last semester. I have no idea how well he did. I sat down for a bit last night to see if I could help quickly but my eyes just glazed over. I couldn't even comprehend at 10:30 at night with very little sleep for a week. Maybe this will be the semester he makes it all work for himself. We'll see.

I'm so sorry. It's tough to be a parent taking care of your parents.

I pray they get better! Your son will hang in there!

Marie, Thanks for the update.

I'm glad to hear your mom is doing a little better. I hope the progress continues.

Perhaps your son is going through an adjustment period and once he gets used to his classes, his new teachers, and having to manage more on his own, he'll do fine.

I'll pray for all your intentions. :grouphug: