Menu

Moms group WWYD (CC)

Back when my kids were younger I was part of a moms Bible study group. We met on a weekday morning, twice a month, and for awhile I really liked it.

The last year or two that I participated - mainly the last year - I started to get kind of tired of it. I felt like we were going over the same things repeatedly. I found myself getting annoyed with some of the things some of the people said, and I didn't care for any of the books we did. I remember coming home at lunch time many days and telling DH (who comes home for lunch everyday - this is also when the boys were both in PS) that I just didn't feel like going any more. I was just tired of it. I felt like my 'time' with the group was done, kwim? I just felt like the things they were talking about, etc, didn't apply to me any more.

At the same time, though, it was once a group that I loved. Some of the things we did were awesome, and I made great friends in this group.

When I decided to homeschool I quit the group because of the kids. (There was childcare provided but for younger children - not to mention that I didn't want to miss out on 3 hours of a school day twice a month) Since then I've tried to get involved in other Bible study classes at church and stuff, but the fact is, very few have had the success that this group had (they still were going strong all last year). The church in general would have a Bible study here and there on Wednesday nights or Sunday nights, which I enjoyed, but I really haven't been in a class I really loved (and felt like I really got a lot from) since last fall.

The moms group is changing now - a lot of the other moms have sent their children to school now, and there are a few of us who homeschool. They are switching to meeting at night on Thursdays, twice a month. I have absolutely NO idea what to do - I've remained a part of the FB group and have gone to one or two of their 'events', but haven't been a part of the book group for over a year. Part of me would like to go because I would like to be involved in something. But part of me is hesitant because I was feeling so done with it when I stopped going - would going back be any different? I also know nothing about the book they are doing, but the title of it doesn't really appeal to me. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, though. Doing a study every other Thursday night (basically) would make at least one of us busy 4 nights a week (Between grocery shopping, squad nights for DH, church, and worship team practice alternating with this group).

I can't decide what to do. I don't know if it'll be worth it, but part of me wants to give it a try. I don't know yet what sort of classes they're offering at church on Wednesday nights (so I can't say yet, 'Oh, I won't do the Thursday night class because I'll already be doing ___ on Wednesdays' even though I'll probably try and find something on Wednesdays to do, since I'll be there anyway...)

Any advice? What would you do - give it a try or not?

If you go, are you committing to whole year? If not and you do not like it, you could just say that right now your family is too busy/kids too young/ too hard to get out/whatever and you hope to join again in a few years. Maybe try for 4 meetings and see how it goes. Sounds like it might be nice! :D

I had a similar group that met Friday am every week. I was part of it for 4 years. When I went back to work, I dropped it.

I still miss it, but my theology has shifted just enough that it would no longer be a good fit.

I would let your group go. Do you miss the people? Maybe you could have coffee together from time to time with some of them. Do you miss the structured lesson time? Find something else that fits better, or pick a book you want to do and ask a couple of friends to go thru it with you.

Also, I don't like being so busy every night. I have a TH night commitment and it's a stretch for me to go every.single.week! Ymmv!!

I really wouldn't bother. Your reason for going is just to unfocused (to be involved in something?) and you already have a feeling for this group.

Just wondering, are you just feeling the need to get out of the house or is it a need to be involved with something regarding your church? If it's the former there may be something in the wider community that would fill that need as well.

I really wouldn't bother. Your reason for going is just to unfocused (to be involved in something?) and you already have a feeling for this group.

Just wondering, are you just feeling the need to get out of the house or is it a need to be involved with something regarding your church? If it's the former there may be something in the wider community that would fill that need as well.

Mostly I just miss having something to study and discuss with a group. I don't think I would want a general book club, though.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I don't know how I would even fit in with these women any more. I said I made great friends, and I did, but the majority of women in the group don't really talk to me any more. I don't think they have a problem with me (if they do, I don't know why) but with the exception of one close friend and a few acquaintances who I chat with a little if I run into them at church, I kind of got dropped as a friend when I left. I don't know if it's because they don't know what to say to me - like if they don't get the homeschooling thing or something, and there have been other happenings that have kind of given DH and I a guilt by association type thing at church (at least it feels like that sometimes, but that may totally be in my head) even though we had nothing to do with it.

Part of the reason I'd like to go back, too, is to have friends again. :tongue_smilie: or at least feel like I'm getting some friendly interaction. I don't know. I'm so up in the air as far as what to do here! :lol: I will probably do a Wednesday night class either way, which would hopefully fulfill the main part of what I'm looking for - but all the other studies ive gone to haven't had the same sort of camaraderie that the moms group has.

Granted, the camaraderie may not even extend to me anymore, so it may be a moot point anyway.....

What's that saying about being the change you want to see...or something like that. What I have found is that so many women's bible study groups kind of flounder into repetitive study of all these "how to be a better wife/mother" kind of thing, when what we really want and need is deep theological bible study. Maybe you can suggest some things to study that would mean more than yet another "how to have balance in your life" kind of study. Do a book study of the book of Romans, for example. There are SO MANY great resources for deeper study. I was getting really tired of those kids of studies I mentioned earlier in my group and suggested we do a systematic theology study. Everyone loved the idea. Especially because there is no homework, we can study what we want at home in our own personal quiet time, and come together to study theology.

Maybe they would really love it if someone suggested something stronger to study, and you would really feel like jumping in again. Your time would feel better suited to the relationship building and doing it through deeper study.

Just a thought. :grouphug:

Can you start one that suits your needs? Maybe one evening a month, studying a book of the Bible rather than a book about the Bible. Invite all your homeschooling friends and church friends, and see what happens.

I tried that once and was labeled as trying to start trouble. :confused: last summer we did one at my house and two or three came - many of the others considered it disloyal of me, or like I was trying to do something behind their backs. :001_huh:

What's that saying about being the change you want to see...or something like that. What I have found is that so many women's bible study groups kind of flounder into repetitive study of all these "how to be a better wife/mother" kind of thing, when what we really want and need is deep theological bible study. Maybe you can suggest some things to study that would mean more than yet another "how to have balance in your life" kind of study. Do a book study of the book of Romans, for example. There are SO MANY great resources for deeper study. I was getting really tired of those kids of studies I mentioned earlier in my group and suggested we do a systematic theology study. Everyone loved the idea. Especially because there is no homework, we can study what we want at home in our own personal quiet time, and come together to study theology.

Maybe they would really love it if someone suggested something stronger to study, and you would really feel like jumping in again. Your time would feel better suited to the relationship building and doing it through deeper study.

Just a thought. :grouphug:

I have tried. I really have tried.... I've suggested different things to study, different books, all sorts of stuff. It's gotten to the point, I think, where they just roll their eyes at me and do whatever it is they were planning on in the first place. I started suggesting books several years ago when we stopped doing bible studies, and then I asked at one point if we were ever planning on doing any bible study again, and then this summer I asked about what sort of classes were going to be offered this fall and was asked if I had any book ideas or anything. I replied with a huge list of ones that I had come across and found interesting, but part of me thinks it was met the same as everything else - with an eye roll.

Idk - I know I sound kind of woe is me here and that isn't my intent. I just have found that my opinion has never really mattered much in the group. I guess maybe that gives me an answer right there, idk...

I guess maybe that gives me an answer right there, idk...
:iagree: Yep. You are wanting to go to a Bible study for enrichment, encouragement, and to become closer to God, increase your faith, and all that. Right? This group does none of that. I would leave it with no regrets.