Menu

Exercise Thread ~ 8/26-9/1

I am SO interested in that Daily Method.

First, I want to thank you for introducing me to barre workouts. :grouphug: :)

Yes, I love the Dailey Method. There are two workouts on it - one that's an hour and the other about 30 minutes. Their attention to form is absolutely scrupulous. I was told that because of this it's great for beginners to barre routines.

Mind you, I like this one so much that I don't see it as just for beginners. It really is quite challenging. It's my favorite barre workout at the moment. You might want to view a video clip first.

There's a review here. That link has a video clip on it also.

I've never posted on one of these threads before, but hopefully it'll keep me motivated. I'm finally committed to getting the last 10 lbs of baby weight off and am doing another half marathon in Nov. Week 2 of training:

Today: 2.0 mile run (went SLOW as it super humid)

Tues: Crossfit

Wed: 1 mile time trial + slow 1.5 mile

Thurs: Yoga

Fri: Crossfit

Sat: 5-miler

Hope everyone meets their goals for the week.

Years ago, my sweet hubby converted our FROG (Finished Room Over Garage) into a gym for me. I use it at least 5 times a week.

My kids know it makes me a better mom :001_smile:

Walked dog in am.

30 minutes interval on elliptical level 5.

Essentrics Workout.

Smiles,

Teresa

I have been a SLUG this week. Summer classes just ended. Thanks for reminding me that I need to get the Fall class schedule out to my students tonight. In two weeks I'll be back up to dancing 8+ hours a week. I'm gonna cool my heels right now so I can be in pain when I start back up. I never learn. :glare:

I'm glad you mentioned this. I've been wondering if people exercise alone or with their children.

I do most of my things alone, because I run too far for my kids to keep up, lol. Also, because I take time to exercise when they are schooling (independently or with dh) or I squeeze it in to their lunch/recess hour or when they are activities. Also, I enjoy chances to visit with girl friends during runs/walks/bikes or to have "date runs" with dh.

However, I do drag the kids along for short runs in the neighborhood sometimes, on average once every week or two. Plus, I take dd15 to yoga whenever we can find a class that is at a time we can make it. I aim for once a week with her, but sometimes it is 0 and other times 2. I love taking her to yoga -- it is a nice way to spend 1-on-1 time.

I've also taken various kids on their bikes when I am doing a longer run than they can handle.

As much as I love to involve the kids, my running is MY thing, and I fit them into it how I can, but I do it for ME, so the running is 1st priority, and fitting them into it is 2nd. If it were any other way, there is no way I'd get it done often enough to be able to run healthily. (Running is not something you can safely do sporadically . . . You must run 3+ times a week to maintain enough strength to do it safely.)

I do most of my things alone, because I run too far for my kids to keep up, lol. Also, because I take time to exercise when they are schooling (independently or with dh) or I squeeze it in to their lunch/recess hour or when they are activities. Also, I enjoy chances to visit with girl friends during runs/walks/bikes or to have "date runs" with dh.

However, I do drag the kids along for short runs in the neighborhood sometimes, on average once every week or two. Plus, I take dd15 to yoga whenever we can find a class that is at a time we can make it. I aim for once a week with her, but sometimes it is 0 and other times 2. I love taking her to yoga -- it is a nice way to spend 1-on-1 time.

I've also taken various kids on their bikes when I am doing a longer run than they can handle.

As much as I love to involve the kids, my running is MY thing, and I fit them into it how I can, but I do it for ME, so the running is 1st priority, and fitting them into it is 2nd. If it were any other way, there is no way I'd get it done often enough to be able to run healthily. (Running is not something you can safely do sporadically . . . You must run 3+ times a week to maintain enough strength to do it safely.)

Thanks! My dd does many workouts with me, but not all. It sounds like others probably do a mix too.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I've been wondering if people exercise alone or with their children.

My kids are 12 and 15 and I have a dance room in the house that fails to impress them even a little. When they were younger, I went to evening classes when Dh was home. When I teach in my home studio, the kids generally just hide. :glare: They're over me.

First, I want to thank you for introducing me to barre workouts. :grouphug: :)

Yes, I love the Dailey Method. There are two workouts on it - one that's an hour and the other about 30 minutes. Their attention to form is absolutely scrupulous. I was told that because of this it's great for beginners to barre routines.

Mind you, I like this one so much that I don't see it as just for beginners. It really is quite challenging. It's my favorite barre workout at the moment. You might want to view a video clip first.

There's a review here. That link has a video clip on it also.

Well, gosh, you are welcome! I am glad you like it so much. One thing I like about barre is the longer you do it, the harder it gets. You are always learning how do to it better or go deeper or get up on your toes higher.

I have been loving the Ballet Body dvds. I don't usually buy that many a year. I got the BB and then Amazon had both the Ballet Beautiful DVDs on super discount and I bought those too. :blushing: I can honestly say I have NEVER bought so many exercise dvds in one year in my life. So, I think I have to be done for a while. But, the Daily Method looks good. ;)

Yesterday was a no run day but I took the kids swimming.

Lisa, I love swimming.

I am happy to report in that I managed a workout this afternoon. I did the Bob Harper's Ultimate Cardio.

Good for you!

Today I did 30 hard minutes on the elliptical.

I need to go on the elliptical again. Haven't done so in ages. So much easier on my joints than running, which I simply cannot do anymore.

I've never posted on one of these threads before, but hopefully it'll keep me motivated.

Taira, welcome!

Sounds like you have a good plan going for the half marathon.

Years ago, my sweet hubby converted our FROG (Finished Room Over Garage) into a gym for me.

Teresa, I'm jealous!

Was the Essentrics workout this one? I have several of these and Classical Stretch.

I never learn.

Me neither. :grouphug:

I got to 1 hr yoga in the PM (with dd15)

Stephanie, sounds lovely.

I walked 3 miles with df, and went to spin class with dd.

Yesterday was yoga and a barbell class....

Faithe, great job. Lots of variety.

Does the teeter-totter/see-saw count as squats???

If so, I'm game. :D

One thing I like about barre is the longer you do it, the harder it gets. You are always learning how do to it better or go deeper or get up on your toes higher.

Yes, very true.

then Amazon had both the Ballet Beautiful DVDs on super discount and I bought those too. I can honestly say I have NEVER bought so many exercise dvds in one year in my life. So, I think I have to be done for a while. But, the Daily Method looks good. ;)

I keep looking at the Ballet Beautiful ones and can never seem to make up my mind. I wish I'd known about their super discount. Or maybe it's a good thing that I didn't. ;) Like you, in the past year, I have accumulated a huge amount of DVDs - more than ever before. Many I have yet to actually open and try. :tongue_smilie: I really don't need any more for quite a while. Needs and wants - two separate things all together. :lol:

Am about to do Ellen Barrett: Grace & Gusto

Something I read:

Cortisol is a stress hormone that contributes to stress fat, and activates us to eat when we're under stress. It induces your appetite. Women who produce more cortisol tend to have bigger bellies.

Exercise helps to lower cortisol levels. It makes your blood circulate more quickly, transporting cortisol to your kidneys and flushing it out of your system.

Even taking a stroll is beneficial. 18 minutes of walking 3 times a week can quickly lower cortisol levels by 15%.

4fb1e7eb5b700.jpg

I am unexpectedly sitting out today. I smashed my thumb and it hurts. It throbs every time I walk around. So, I have been sitting all day. My butt actually hurts from sitting so much. :lol:

What a waste of a day. And, boo hoo for my poor hand. I hope it feels better tomorrow.

I hope your thumb feels better soon! OUCH!

Am about to do Ellen Barrett: Skinny Sculpt

Something I read in the book Meal by Meal:

The true purpose of exercise is to invigorate and strengthen us in body, mind, and spirit. ~ Deepak Chopra, Overcoming Addictions

If you drive to a restaurant, do you always try to find the closest parking spot? Believe it or not, parking farther away and walking could lead to changing how and what you eat.

I know of a woman who could not stop smoking. She tried everything from nicotine patch to hypnosis. Nothing worked until she started exercising. As soon as she realized smoking was incompatible with her new lifestyle, she easily "let go" of the habit with no struggle! This story offers hope for anyone struggling with food and dieting.

To change any habit takes skill and practice. It is easier to drop a habit if you replace it with a more skillful, enjoyable, and beneficial one. Start where you are. Even a twenty-second stroll is a good place to start.