Menu

What is a good read aloud for a K and 2nd grader?

dixiebuckeye

Type in the name of most kids books here and it will tell reading grade level & interest grade level. Some early elementary series include Amelia Bedelia, type it into book alike and browse the list of books at that level. It's also neat to type in a book your kid has read if it was a bit of a streach for them and see what level it was at.

http://www.scholastic.com/tbw/homePage.do?workId=396

We use Sonlight as a booklist. So far my kids have loved everything we've read. Their particular favourite is "The Boxcar Children". We are on book 3 of the series now.

We also use their reader list - DD is using their second grade readers and loves them.

Winnie the Pooh, Beatrix Potter, The Snow Queen, Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, Potter's The Fairy Caravan, the real Pinocchio, the real Little Mermaid, (all of HC Anderson), The King of the Golden River, The Golden Key, get a good edition of Grimm's tales and read them (not the edited out ones or the 'retellings').

We use Sonlight as a booklist. So far my kids have loved everything we've read. Their particular favourite is "The Boxcar Children". We are on book 3 of the series now.

We also use their reader list - DD is using their second grade readers and loves them.

:iagree: There are a lot of read alouds from cores P4/5-B that are great for both of your girls. You might lose your K'er if you go much higher than that.

I highly recommend getting a copy of Jim Trelease's Read-Aloud Handbook. Our library has an older edition (which is still just as useful, IMO) of it and you can often find copies of it at used bookstores. The book recommendations have suggested grade ranges. It's introduced our family to wonderful books I'd never read myself, plus reminded me of ones I enjoyed during my own childhood.

Erica in OR

Anything Roald Dahl.

I had to LOL at this, because a couple of years ago when I had a 5 and 7 year old I tried to read "The Witches" and they were TERRIFIED!!! LOL I would beg them to come back and listen, but they would run screaming from the room. :lol: I'm terrible.....

Some of our favorites over the past few years (preK up to 2nd graders able to listen in and enjoy)

Five Children and It (might be our all time favorite)

The Railway Children

Charlotte's Web

The Tale of Despereaux

Winnie-the-Pooh

Ginger Pye

Matilda (a Roald Dahl that did go over well)

The Indian in the Cupboard

Paddington books

Little House in the Big Woods and Little House on the Prairie

Readers for your 2nd grader (going off ones my 2nd grader enjoyed last year)

The Magic Treehouse Series

Magic Schoolbus Chapter books

Henry Huggins and Ribsy books

Charlotte's Web

How to Train Your Dragon Series (more advanced, but definitely his favorite this year)