Menu

Your tried and true remedies for morning sickness

By the fourth child, I had figured out that I had to stay away from gingerale and drink a tea with ginger instead. The sugar in the gingerale made me feel yucky. In fact, protein in the morning was my life saver. I would eat peanut butter and banana on whole wheat sandwiches, or a homemade egg mcmuffin type thing- just the ham and cheese if I couldn't face an egg. Cereal in the morning was a no-no. In fact I felt much better eating more fat and protein and less carbs when I was pregnant.

The only totally effective one for me was:

Be not pregnant :tongue_smilie:

The one that helped me the most was keeping some crackers in the bedside drawer and nibbling one before I got up in the morning. Not even raising my head, but just carefully reaching for the crackers and nibbling lying down.

The only totally effective one for me was:

Be not pregnant :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

This and a couple days on IV fluids. :lol:

Besides the zofran and compazine, the only thing that ever helped was lots of sleep and eating what is appealing. With my youngest, the only thing I could keep down was cheeseburgers and plain cheese pizza from Pizza Hut. Totally counter intuitive but that is the way it was.

Ditto to the Unisom/B6 combo....this has been life changing. This is pregnancy #4 and this is the only thing that has ever helped keep things to a manageable level. (I do still take zofran, but that wasn't working on its own.)

Otherwise, I avoid sugar, avoid anything carbonated, eat protein, eat frequently, have DH do all the shopping and cooking, and avoid walking into the kitchen whenever possible.

Wake up, don't eat anything, get in the shower, dry heave, get out, eat whatever I want :D I know it's awful, but it's the only thing that saved me through three pregnancies

Pretty much the same. I would just give in and hurl. That would get me over the worst part. Trying to keep from vomiting was far worse than just doing it :tongue_smilie:

And if I had trouble getting it to come up, all I had to do was look at the grotesque wall paper in the dining room, the pumpkin orange countertops and fake brick floor in the kitchen. For some reason, things I found visually obnoxious would work wonders to put me over the top.

Edited by CynthiaOK

So, did the B6 and Unisom really work for anyone?? I've never tried it.

I had Zofran with my last 2 pregnancies and it was enough to take the edge off. I don't have any this time though....and since I can't get in to my dr, I can't get any, so I'm desperate and willing to try anything. I'm at a non-functioning level right now. Not puking, but I sure feel like I could any second...all.day.long! My poor kids probably think I will never leave the couch.

So, did the B6 and Unisom really work for anyone?? I've never tried it.

I had Zofran with my last 2 pregnancies and it was enough to take the edge off. I don't have any this time though....and since I can't get in to my dr, I can't get any, so I'm desperate and willing to try anything. I'm at a non-functioning level right now. Not puking, but I sure feel like I could any second...all.day.long! My poor kids probably think I will never leave the couch.

B6 was HUGE here. For both me and DW. Didn't try unisom

Unisom and a B6 before bed! It's a game changer.

You should call your OB and ask about it- for me it was the difference between being hospitalized with an IV, and being able to manage at home with zofran and compazine.

Yup-for 4 of the 6 this was all I needed!