Menu

What activities or events in your area do you consider must-dos?

Things you like to be sure you do and/or you try to attend every year. Examples: Renaissance Faire, Civil War Reenactment, Maple Sugaring Festival, etc. :bigear:

Probably Shakespeare in the Park in the summer.

Growing up in Maryland, the Renaissance Faire in Columbia.

When living in Peachtree City, GA, the 4th of July parade, with all the golf cart floats and really nice non-profit floats.

Probably Shakespeare in the Park in the summer.

Oh, that sounds just lovely!

About the only "must do" when visiting here is the Renaissance Festival in a nearby town. Oh, and seeing Lake Ontario, if you have never seen a Great Lake before. I must confess that after living here for a while, you tend to view the lake as a giant breeding ground for biting bugs and snowstorms!:tongue_smilie:

About the only thing we have to do every year is go to Tanglewood for a couple of concerts (it's the summer home for the Boston Symphony Orchestra, located in western MA). The concerts are outside on a large, beautiful piece of property. We pack a big picnic, get there a few hours early and enjoy the day/evening. It's just magical.

I live in Quill's 'hood. No point in posting stuff she already knows. :D

But that's just it! I swear sometimes I must live under a rock. I keep finding out about XYZ activity that goes on right under my nose and I never knew about it! I hate it when that happens!

Here in SA? The annual Stockshow & Rodeo, and the Battle of the Flowers parade.

Ooooh! What is Battle of Flowers? That sounds awesome!

Things you like to be sure you do and/or you try to attend every year. Examples: Renaissance Faire, Civil War Reenactment, Maple Sugaring Festival, etc. :bigear:

That's because we're spoiled for choice here. It's OK to blow off the circus because something just as cool will happen next weekend. It's easy to ignore what's going on because you can't do everything. Before you know it, you're out of the loop and have no idea what's going on.

Ren Faire is starting up. I don't go every year. I have friends who always get a season pass. I just couldn't do it every weekend for two months!

Renn Fair

Hayride that stops at the pumpkin patch

Homecoming football game for Naval Academy, late lunch in Annapolis first

Family Fall Festival days *something like that* at Mt. Vernon

Tree lighting/fireworks at National Harbor (day after Thanksgiving)

US Army Band Christmas Concert at the DAR, walk across the street to see National Christmas Tree and then across the street for dinner at the Old Ebbitt Grill

(The last 4 we won't get to do this year b/c I'm having a baby on Nov. 12th and he will be too young to take along, or in the case of the football game, I'll be too "with child" to sit on the hill for the whole game and then walk all the way back to Annapolis.)

Cherry Blossom Festival

4th of July on the National Mall

Those are the only ones that we do every year. The rest of the time we try new stuff.

Every year we try and make it to:

• the fireworks show on the 2nd of July at the local park, then the big show on the Hudson River (it used to be on the East River where it was easier for us)
  • the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree and Christmas windows
  • Fleet Week to see the cool boats
  • the Greenwich Village Halloween Parade
  • the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
  • Fright Fest at Six Flags
  • the air show at the beach
  • pumpkin picking at the farm

We have gotten lazy lately, but I plan on getting out to many of these things with the family again.

Renn Fair

Hayride that stops at the pumpkin patch

Homecoming football game for Naval Academy, late lunch in Annapolis first

Family Fall Festival days *something like that* at Mt. Vernon

Tree lighting/fireworks at National Harbor (day after Thanksgiving)

US Army Band Christmas Concert at the DAR, walk across the street to see National Christmas Tree and then across the street for dinner at the Old Ebbitt Grill

(The last 4 we won't get to do this year b/c I'm having a baby on Nov. 12th and he will be too young to take along, or in the case of the football game, I'll be too "with child" to sit on the hill for the whole game and then walk all the way back to Annapolis.)

Cherry Blossom Festival

4th of July on the National Mall

Those are the only ones that we do every year. The rest of the time we try new stuff.

Oh my word. Having spent my teens and early 20s in Annapolis, Homecoming week would be the week I would flee, or at least avoid downtown like the plague! :lol:

We do the Sheep & Wool festival in Howard Co every year, and we go to Maple Lawn Farm, just outside of York for Maize Quest and to pick an embarrassing amount of apples every fall.

Oh my word. Having spent my teens and early 20s in Annapolis, Homecoming week would be the week I would flee, or at least avoid downtown like the plague! :lol:

We do the Sheep & Wool festival in Howard Co every year, and we go to Maple Lawn Farm, just outside of York for Maize Quest and to pick an embarrassing amount of apples every fall.

Really? It's not that bad at all :) We drive in around 11:00 a.m., park in one of the parking lots downtown, eat lunch somewhere, walk around and catch the shuttle to the stadium. We sit on the hill and then after the game, because there is SO much traffic, we walk back down to Main St. and have ice cream at Kilwins... by that time, traffic is gone :)

It's one of my favorite fall activities and I'm sad we'll miss it this year, but hey, there's always next year :)

Lots of nearby folk posting I see. :)

MD Sheep and Wool, almost always

Sugar Mapeling Festival

Roots Music Feetival (can't wait to do full Common Ground on the Hil classes)

Sustainable Living Fair, the years they have it

Hayrides and pumpkin picking

Maize quest type event

Might go more national events but it is an hour plus drive in. But now that the littles are less little, it will be easier and less overwhelming.

@kungfupanda and @quill -- am I to assume we're neighbors since I'm also in Carroll County. Wondering if we actually already know each other irl. :) Though haven't been in homeschooling circles since my teen was in middle school and will join back in next year as my littles are getting older.

I just noticed your off limits list of topics in your signature. :lol:

I've yet to make it out to the sheep and wool festival. ::ducking::

:D It's best to know one's limitations. And - honestly? - I haven't been to Sheep and Wool, either, though dozens of people I know compete there. :tongue_smilie:

@kungfupanda and @quill -- am I to assume we're neighbors since I'm also in Carroll County. Wondering if we actually already know each other irl. :) Though haven't been in homeschooling circles since my teen was in middle school and will join back in next year as my littles are getting older.

You're welcome to PM me if you like. :001_smile:

Art on the Square...and I'm not really even an "art person!"

This is a little outside our immediate area, but we also love going to the Fall Festival at the Saxon Lutheran Memorial.

At Christmastime, Christmas on the Hill and Christmas Traditions are on our list of events we have to attend every year.

Plus, going to a Cardinals game is a must-do!