Menu

Grr. Not getting it all done.

Halcyon

I may have overscheduled, or it may just be that we're getting back into the groove. I can't tell. I plan on starting at 9 and going til 12, then resuming at 12:30 until 2 (two days a week)---so 4.5 hours and until 3:30 3 days a week so 6 hours, but not sure even that is enough time taking into account transitions, goofiness, etc.

I have bolded what we generally DO NOT GET done, and left unbolded the things we have been getting to consistently. Ideas?

Math 45 min-60 min

Latin 30-60 min

Writing -we don't ALWAYS get to this. We're using WWS and it's a challenge. A good challenge, but some days are more time-consuming than others.

Grammar 15-20 min KISS, one exercise a day.

Spelling twice a week 20 minutes--a short and sweet workbook covering areas he needs help in.

Memory Work

Reading Assignment 1 hour

Life Science-45 minutes daily

History 45 minutes daily

Spanish

Edited by Halcyon

What kind of memorywork are you wanting to get done? We say ours throughout the day. R&S schedules out the grammar and math memorywork in their lessons, so that gets done in each lesson. It takes 2 minutes to ask the questions and have them recite.

Latin memorywork is done in latin for the first 5 min. We say our latin prayers at bedtime or meal time.

For history: We say our list twice before we start a history discussion or reading.

For Bible, we say the books of the Bible before we start our Bible class time.

Granted, we have not started any poetry or speech memorization yet this year. That is a little more involved and requires dds to spend a bigger chunk of time a day..

So each bit of memorywork is done in the subject's time slot.

Oh, and adding Spanish has been a challenge for us too. We are going at it half speed. She is doing 1 chp. over 2 weeks, and supposed to be doing latin full speed, 1 chapter a week.

We do latin mon, tues, and fri. Spanish tues and wed mornings.

But it is our 4th week, and we are only on chp. 3 of latin, and not 4 since we didn't get to all of the work last week :) But we are working on both consistantly. It just seems that latin cannot go full steam ahead in only 3 days vs. 4 or 5 days, if I want to get Spanish in too.

Here's what *I* would do:

Go over memory work during breakfast and lunch. Keep your memory work binder/box/whatever in the kitchen to grab during meals.

Start with math, say at 8:00, finish around 8:45 and take a break.

At 9:00 tackle writing and grammar, then take another break if there's time.

At ten do either spelling or spanish (spanish 3 days/week)

At 10:30(ish) send him of to do his reading.

11:30 - lunch and a break

12:30 - history or science. For us it's easier to plow ahead once we've started, so we do 60-90 minutes, twice per week of each.

2:00 - Latin

done by 3!

It's still a long day, but I've never understood how some homeschoolers say they're done in 2-3 hours. That's never happened for us. And it gets everything done. Hope that helps somewhat!

Do you have homework time in the evenings too? We generally stop school around 2:30, but there is always a homework period. Generally for my 5th grader that has meant finishing up math and doing a little of her foreign language work at that point. It takes her less than an hour most days. And if she is goofing off during the day, we go ahead and move on to the next subject and she will finish it for homework that night.

I may have overscheduled, or it may just be that we're getting back into the groove. I can't tell. I plan on starting at 9 and going til 12, then resuming at 12:30 until 2 (two days a week)---so 4.5 hours and until 3:30 3 days a week so 6 hours, but not sure even that is enough time taking into account transitions, goofiness, etc.

I have bolded what we generally DO NOT GET done, and left unbolded the things we have been getting to consistently. Ideas?

Math 45 min-60 min

Latin 30-60 min

Writing -we don't ALWAYS get to this. We're using WWS and it's a challenge. A good challenge, but some days are more time-consuming than others.

Spelling twice a week 20 minutes--a short and sweet workbook covering areas he needs help in.

Memory Work

History 45 minutes daily

Spanish

Our schedule is not unlike yours, except we aren't doing Spanish or Memory Work - so I can't help with how to fit those in!! ;)

Here's where we differ:

Latin - we only do 30 min a day. I know you are happy with the longer time he spends on Latin, so you may not want to pull that back any. I get that! I had wanted to do 45 min a day this year, but it just isn't going to fit. So, we are down to 30.

After Math & Latin, we do LA (grammar or vocab) for half an hour. Then we do WWS. Here is how that works: on the long writing days (Day 4), we split it over multiple days. Like, for week 7 day 4, she spent one session creating an outline, today is doing a rough draft, and tomorrow will do a final polished version. Trying to do it all in 1 day made for a *long* writing session. I think this will work better. It means WWS will take longer than 36 weeks to complete, but so be it - especially now that I've read that WWS will be a 3-year program with an optional 4th year. I'd rather slow down and make sure she is learning from every lesson rather than just trying to get through it.

We're also doing "history week" and "science week", where we do 4 days of the given subject for 60-90 min per day, rather than trying to do both in one day. This has made each day feel more relaxed and less rushed, even though we are covering the same amount of material as we would doing 45 min every day.

Good luck! It definitely takes some tweaking to get it all in.

Thank Goodness!!! I mean, not thank goodness you can't get it all done, but thank goodness I'm not the only one. I keep seeing all these threads where everyone is asking how long it takes for other people to finish up their work with their second grader etc. and I see 2 1/2 hours and I think ???

Our problem is that she won't stay ON TASK and when she is on task she is still so slow (even the teacher at her Montessori school mentioned this to me during her Kindergarten year, so I know it's not just me). I don't feel like I'm asking for a ton of work. Yesterday I allotted 5 hours for

1. Math (to be fair, she wanted to spend extra time on this and we did)

2. Science

3. Spelling

4. Handwriting

5. French

We got it all done, sort of, but French was kind of a joke.

Monday, no handwriting. Today, we got our History done. But again, no handwriting. And we really need handwriting practice. Really. Really. Really. And all the dilly-dallying means my 4 year old gets the short end of the preschool stick. She really wants cool stuff to do.

Just my thoughts....

I would drop everything else, and focus my time on grammar, Latin, math and writing. As you build up a groove with these things, which are the core (in my lowly, but honest opinion), you can then add in the others, slowly building up to speed.----But I would not skip writing to cover history or science. Those can be covered a la 8's way independently.

Slow down just a little bit on math and Latin? Even just doing a few minutes less per day will give you more time to write.

Make history and science part of the reading assignment. Half hour of literature, half hour of history or science book (biography or other non-fiction informational book).

We are doing all subjects on your list except Spanish, plus vocabulary. Spanish is Rosetta Stone in their free time, and maybe later on in the year I'll be able to do more. I do split up history and science into longer sessions of two days each.

On the WWS days that have longer assignments, we usually cut out something else. Typically WWS will be 30 minutes (maybe less for an outline day) including digging out the thesaurus, etc., but a topos day that time is more than doubled, so we make that a lighter day in math , Latin, or something else.

We haven't started up full time yet, but I don't know how you get both Science & History done daily. I still have to do each 2x/week (bigger blocks) with a spot for "overflow" on the fifth day if necessary.

I had quite a time scheduling "everything" in this year.

When I have a tough time getting something done consistently, I usually either start the day with it or start the afternoon with it. So, perhaps start the day with memory work and start the afternoon schedule with writing?

Or, decide you can't do certain things every day & change some to 2x/wk & others to 3x/week and alternate weeks?

No idea where you are going to have enough time for Spanish . . .

Good luck!

Math 45 min-60 min

Latin 30-60 min

Memory Work

History 45 minutes daily

Spanish

Spanish:

Does your Spanish use an audio component? We use Ecoutez, Parlez for French, and my daughter (2nd grader) does it in the kitchen while I'm preparing lunch. That's how we fit that in.

Memory Work:

I made up Memory Work books with a Pro-Click and put in all the poems I want memorized in each grade. So, the 2nd grader has to work in the 2nd grade book, plus review all the poems in the 1st grade, K, and Pre-K books (she knows these cold). The K'er twins have to work on their new K poems, and review their Pre-K poems (very simple ones, really). I hand them a book and a timer. I say, "Go work on these for 10 minutes on my bed [or your bed]," and off they go [separate rooms]. In this way, they're practicing on their own 2-3x/week, then we go over memory work together weekly, with all the formality of doing recitation -- stand up straight, slow down, speak clearly, put a T on the end of that word, stop picking your nose, etc., etc., etc.

Writing:

I'm no help to you on that one. Writing is teacher-intensive, is there any way around it? You know, though, looking at your most excellent line-up, if he's (a) reading in Literature, Life Science, and History, and (b) progressing steadily in Latin, spelling, and grammar, then is it a mortal sin if you move through WWS at a slower pace? Why can't one year's course spill over a bit into the next year?

Memory Work

We're in Part II (or Section II) of WWS and it is really taking us a looooong time. I thought we were doing something wrong. I broke yesterday's assignment into 2 days (so it's not just you). I also have to change how we approach it. Today, I read each paragraph out loud, we brainstormed together on how to word each line of the outline and then my daughter wrote the outline on the dry erase board. Sometimes, I just toss paper and the book at her and she does it on her own. Depends (on her mood, I suspect - LOL).

I'm actually thinking of reducing WWS down to 3 days a week. We school year-round anyway... and we're not in a hurry (I have to remind myself of that). I think WWS would be appropriate even for a much older student.

As far as memory work - I don't know how you have time to fit that in. I would just drop that (not sure if it's really important to you - maybe for your goals it is). But, I would not continue with memory work at this stage.

Back to WWS - boy, that is THE most thorough writing program in the universe. Even I'VE been learning a lot.

As far as Latin...we can't get to that one. That's our weakness.

Assigned reading. Is this something that the kids could do prior to bedtime?

Writing is always a challenge for us as well. I enjoy teaching, and I enjoy reading aloud, and independent work -- well, that requires nothing from me. But, writing is just so different. It requires much more involvement.

We get to Latin fairly regularly, but I really need to incorporate more review time with flashcards and saying the words. Again, I'd rather read a book. ;)

I really like having the boys do anything they can do without me in the morning while I exercise and get ready for the day. This includes: spelling (if there isn't a new concept I need to teach), 3 sentences to diagram, logic, Daily Grams, all Saxon math work that is review (they do new problems after I teach later), and any other random things like geography or poetry handouts.

Math 45 min-60 min

Latin 30-60 min

Memory Work

History 45 minutes daily

Spanish

First off....I think I would die if I had to do all of this daily...especially the science and history. I wouldn't do writing, science, history, or spanish daily. I would decide if you want science to be 2x a week or 3...same with history. Then I would do something like writing and science T & Th and spanish and history M, W, F. We don't do latin or memory work....so I'm not sure if I would do those daily or not. The math, grammar, and reading is good to do daily.

A short and sweet spelling workbook.....do tell.

Math 45 min-60 min

Latin 30-60 min

Memory Work

History 45 minutes daily

Spanish

4.5 hours is not enough to get done even what you put times for though... Just Latin, Math, Reading, Science & History could be 4.5 hours, not including transition times. I do think I'd try to adjust these a bit.

It does sound like a lot for 7-10 yo's. Are you doing more than one math program? At 7, math was 20-30 minutes, and at 10, 30 or at the most 45 min. Two foreign languages is awesome, but I think I'd do more like 30 minutes each, and/or let one be more of an elective.

Reading for an hour is a lot too (this is them reading, right?), we did more like 30 minutes for readers at this age. However, I like the idea of letting the kids do it before bed if that would work out, and that would free up some daytime.

Memory Work--can you attach it to whatever subject it relates to? We do memory work with Bible, and I just do it for the first 5 minutes of our Bible time. If you can incorporate it rather than have it be another subject, maybe it will get done?

I usually don't do both writing and grammar daily, but since you only need to do spelling 2X a week, could you do writing opposite spelling?

Hope you find some good solutions! Merry :-)

I have a feeling I'm going to be in the same boat when we start school up over here. (Um... especially with Spanish. That seems to be the first to go at our house!)

First of all, it sounds like you are getting a lot done! And most of the things you have planned are getting done, so that is great!

This year I am scheduling writing right away in the morning. (After a quick warm up page of something fun). I just really have to prioritize it and catch ds when he is fresh. :D I do wish we could do math in the morning because we all like it, but I know we would never get around to writing if it was later in the day - and it would become painful. Whereas math we can do after lunch and still survive. :tongue_smilie:

Can you attach memory work to something? Maybe do it right before reading time (so if memory work takes 10 minutes, your reading time might be 50 minutes).

Do everything in one hour blocks.

Math - 45 min.

Memory Work - 15 min.

Latin - 30 minutes

Spanish - 30 min. / 4x a wk.

Grammar - 20 min. / 3x a wk. Spelling - 20 min./ 2x a wk

Writing - 40 min. / 4x a wk

Life science - 30 min / 4x a wk ... 60 min / 1x a wk ( don't do Spanish or writing on this day)

History - 30 min/ 4x a wk ... 60 min / 1 x a wk (no Spanish or writing)

Reading - 60 minutes outside of your regular scheduled time ( 30 minutes afternoon/30 before bed)

I would not let writing be the subject that gets pushed off the schedule. I'd give up the grammar ( your getting grammar in your Latin and you can focus on grammar concepts during composition as well) , and the Spanish ( get a couple years of Latin in then Spanish will be that much easier ) before I'd let writing go. But, that's just me from the standpoint of playing composition catch-up with a 7th and 9th grader.

I would drop everything else, and focus my time on grammar, Latin, math and writing.

:iagree:

And, since you're spending so much time on Latin, you can probably put grammar in the backseat too. I'd make writing and math the two highest priority subjects and find ways to work the rest into the schedule.

:iagree:

And, since you're spending so much time on Latin, you can probably put grammar in the backseat too. I'd make writing and math the two highest priority subjects and find ways to work the rest into the schedule.

I would definitely drop the Latin time but keep the content subjects.

I just never know people accomplish history and science when it's only done twice a week. I am one of those that aims to do both daily, though it probably comes down to four days a week. There is just no way we would get through everything otherwise.

Our schedule has history 4x and science 3x. I have high hopes for this year but I am starting to feel a little anxious (as in too much to do and not enough time or energy (me) to get it accomplished). Starting Monday:)

I think it's a bit much to say that you should drop history and science, though alternating them - maybe an hour a day instead of 45 minutes might be good.

The first thing I would try would be to move up writing and do it before Latin, so if something is squished out, it isn't writing. And I agree with the idea that you should just consider dropping something - one of the languages or possibly grammar since you're doing so much Latin.

Thank Goodness!!! I mean, not thank goodness you can't get it all done, but thank goodness I'm not the only one. I keep seeing all these threads where everyone is asking how long it takes for other people to finish up their work with their second grader etc. and I see 2 1/2 hours and I think ???

Our problem is that she won't stay ON TASK and when she is on task she is still so slow (even the teacher at her Montessori school mentioned this to me during her Kindergarten year, so I know it's not just me). I don't feel like I'm asking for a ton of work. Yesterday I allotted 5 hours for

1. Math (to be fair, she wanted to spend extra time on this and we did)

2. Science

3. Spelling

4. Handwriting

5. French

We got it all done, sort of, but French was kind of a joke.

Monday, no handwriting. Today, we got our History done. But again, no handwriting. And we really need handwriting practice. Really. Really. Really. And all the dilly-dallying means my 4 year old gets the short end of the preschool stick. She really wants cool stuff to do.

I have to laugh (with you, not at you;)). 2nd/3rd grade seems to be a general time of putziness (is that a word). It won't always be that way:001_smile:

As far as the OP's comments on schedule, I can so relate! We have new curr. this year so we are still working out our kinks, but we do science only 2 days per week and Latin is about 20-30 minutes... We are using Visual Latin, though, so it is doable. We are also trying to work in discussions, etc for TOG, which eats up more time. I think it will all be worth it. Could you just mosey through a couple of weeks to see if it is the newness of the schedule? Then, you would have a more accurate picture of whether you need to adjust or not... Good luck!

Edited by Professormom

First off....I think I would die if I had to do all of this daily...especially the science and history. I wouldn't do writing, science, history, or spanish daily. I would decide if you want science to be 2x a week or 3...same with history. Then I would do something like writing and science T & Th and spanish and history M, W, F. We don't do latin or memory work....so I'm not sure if I would do those daily or not. The math, grammar, and reading is good to do daily.

Jim Halverson's Spelling Works. It's good for my natural speller to review some of these often-made errors. I really like it (and Jim was my teacher in middle school, so that's fun too....)

I think it's quite a bit to take on two languages at the same time. Personally, if it's adding extra stress, and you just don't have 'time' for it, I'd choose between the two!

As for memory work and writing, just cut Latin down to 30 minutes a day. If you do 60 minutes, could you do it 3 days per week?

We're in Part II (or Section II) of WWS and it is really taking us a looooong time. I thought we were doing something wrong. I broke yesterday's assignment into 2 days (so it's not just you). I also have to change how we approach it. Today, I read each paragraph out loud, we brainstormed together on how to word each line of the outline and then my daughter wrote the outline on the dry erase board. Sometimes, I just toss paper and the book at her and she does it on her own. Depends (on her mood, I suspect - LOL).

I'm actually thinking of reducing WWS down to 3 days a week. We school year-round anyway... and we're not in a hurry (I have to remind myself of that). I think WWS would be appropriate even for a much older student.

As far as memory work - I don't know how you have time to fit that in. I would just drop that (not sure if it's really important to you - maybe for your goals it is). But, I would not continue with memory work at this stage.

Back to WWS - boy, that is THE most thorough writing program in the universe. Even I'VE been learning a lot.

As far as Latin...we can't get to that one. That's our weakness.

Yes, WWS takes a while....LOL. We started it last year, so we're on Week 14. My goal is to finish is sometime in January but if it takes a bit longer, that's okay. I too sometimes will sit with him and help him "think out" what to do. It's quite dense. Today we did Scientific Narration and point of view and it was something I don't recall ever really studying, so it was interesting for me, too.

Assigned reading. Is this something that the kids could do prior to bedtime?

Writing is always a challenge for us as well. I enjoy teaching, and I enjoy reading aloud, and independent work -- well, that requires nothing from me. But, writing is just so different. It requires much more involvement.

We get to Latin fairly regularly, but I really need to incorporate more review time with flashcards and saying the words. Again, I'd rather read a book. ;)

I really like having the boys do anything they can do without me in the morning while I exercise and get ready for the day. This includes: spelling (if there isn't a new concept I need to teach), 3 sentences to diagram, logic, Daily Grams, all Saxon math work that is review (they do new problems after I teach later), and any other random things like geography or poetry handouts.

Assigned reading at night? no, probably not. My boys are wiped out, and they both prefer read alouds at night (we're reading Hero by Mike Lupica right now ;)) I like your idea of the morning being for independent work--I have them read in the am from 8;30 for an hour or so while I clean the kitchen, get lunch ready, feed the dogs, and get myself ready for the day. With Latin, we're doing a lot of review and also trying to forge ahead; using Henle it takes us about an hour a day. We tried to do some as "homewwork" last night but it was very difficult. By that time of day, my older is just DONE. I don't understand how parents monitor kid's homework every.single.night. It was torture.

Writing is actually FUn here, but it is one of our more intensive subjects....hmm...it seems like everything is intense except for Spanish and Spelling.....diagramming is pretty straightforward....

Thanks for your input! With history, a fair amount of the "every day" stuff is him reading--we're using K12 Human Odyssey and Oxford's First Ancient History, both of which he really likes....but he's a slow, diligent reader, so that might be part of our issue. For science, we're using CPO and for the life of me, I haven't figured out how to do this in 3 days. :confused:

I have a feeling I'm going to be in the same boat when we start school up over here. (Um... especially with Spanish. That seems to be the first to go at our house!)

First of all, it sounds like you are getting a lot done! And most of the things you have planned are getting done, so that is great!

This year I am scheduling writing right away in the morning. (After a quick warm up page of something fun). I just really have to prioritize it and catch ds when he is fresh. :D I do wish we could do math in the morning because we all like it, but I know we would never get around to writing if it was later in the day - and it would become painful. Whereas math we can do after lunch and still survive. :tongue_smilie:

Can you attach memory work to something? Maybe do it right before reading time (so if memory work takes 10 minutes, your reading time might be 50 minutes).

That's a good idea. I was thinking of cutting back to 3 days a week for memory work, and doing it in the car.....

I just never know people accomplish history and science when it's only done twice a week. I am one of those that aims to do both daily, though it probably comes down to four days a week. There is just no way we would get through everything otherwise.

:iagree::iagree:This is where I am at right now. Luckily, both History and Science this year incorporate a lot of "skills" work--narration, math, etc. But seriously, I just don't know how to cut them back.

I think it's a bit much to say that you should drop history and science, though alternating them - maybe an hour a day instead of 45 minutes might be good.

The first thing I would try would be to move up writing and do it before Latin, so if something is squished out, it isn't writing. And I agree with the idea that you should just consider dropping something - one of the languages or possibly grammar since you're doing so much Latin.

We love KISS, and DS loves diagramming, so that's his fun subject. I thyink I will slow down with Henle and spend just 30 minutes a day on it. See how that works.

With Latin, we're doing a lot of review and also trying to forge ahead; using Henle it takes us about an hour a day. We tried to do some as "homewwork" last night but it was very difficult. By that time of day, my older is just DONE. I don't understand how parents monitor kid's homework every.single.night. It was torture.

:iagree:I study Latin at night when the girls are in bed (think 9 pm or later) and I am usually like this: :blink: and :svengo:and :sleep:. My husband just shakes his head. Henle is harder to get through, format-wise, than the First Form series. I have it and used it, but thought it was cumbersome to work with several books and write out the exercises (not sure how you handle the format). The FF series seems much more user-friendly, especially for a younger student. Have you considered First Form?

Good luck with your year.

Edited by Sahamamama
typo, of course

:iagree:I study Latin at night when the girls are in bed (think 9 pm or later) and I am usually like this: :blink: and :svengo:and :sleep:. My husband just shakes his head. Henle is harder to get through, format-wise, than the First Form series. I have it and used it, but thought it was cumbersome to work with several books and write out the exercises (not sure how you handle the format). The FF series seems much more user-friendly, especially for a younger student. Have to considered First Form?

Good luck with your year.

Thanks!

We looked at First Form...maybe I will revisit. I really like Henle, as does DS, but it's dense and intense. We write out the sentences, or use the "found on the WTM forums" pdf that someone typed out of all the Latin to English Exercises. If we are on Unit 4, what level of First Form would we start with?

ETA: Oh, wait, does this follow basically the same "schedule" as Cheryl Lowe's Henle calendar? If so, we stopped using that last year as it moved too slowly for DS. Off to investigate.

Thanks!

We looked at First Form...maybe I will revisit. I really like Henle, as does DS, but it's dense and intense. We write out the sentences, or use the "found on the WTM forums" pdf that someone typed out of all the Latin to English Exercises. If we are on Unit 4, what level of First Form would we start with?

Sorry, I don't know. You could call MP and they'll help you place him.

ETA: Oh, wait, does this follow basically the same "schedule" as Cheryl Lowe's Henle calendar? If so, we stopped using that last year as it moved too slowly for DS. Off to investigate.

Here are some links:

Henle Study Guides for Units I-II; Units III-V; Units VI-XIV

First Form

Second Form

Third Form

Fourth Form

HTH.

We love KISS, and DS loves diagramming, so that's his fun subject. I thyink I will slow down with Henle and spend just 30 minutes a day on it. See how that works.

We all like diagramming as well. While I love Rod and Staff, I prefer the boys to have daily diagramming practice, so I type up three sentences for each per morning. Essentially, on the weekend, I look at their most recent lessons and type any diagramming sentences they should have done.

It's a little tedious, but sometimes I make up my own which they absolutely adore. There's nothing better than reading a sentence about yourself. If I can incorporate Nathan's love of cheeseburgers and Ben's love of Marion, the better the sentences are. :lol:

Ben's sentences are all done for the upcoming year because he is just using Nathan's sentences from last year.

Yeah, I know. Nights are pretty stressful with them practicing piano and us trying to coerce them into bed. :lol: They like it when I tell them they can stay up late if they read, so that's my only leverage.

But, I am horrible in general at assigning reading. It's hard because I usually end up making it a read aloud because if it's that great of a book, I want to know what happens, and getting Ben to read assigned books is like pulling teeth.

So, we're not perfect homeschoolers around here.

Assigned reading at night? no, probably not. My boys are wiped out, and they both prefer read alouds at night (we're reading Hero by Mike Lupica right now ;)) I like your idea of the morning being for independent work--I have them read in the am from 8;30 for an hour or so while I clean the kitchen, get lunch ready, feed the dogs, and get myself ready for the day. With Latin, we're doing a lot of review and also trying to forge ahead; using Henle it takes us about an hour a day. We tried to do some as "homewwork" last night but it was very difficult. By that time of day, my older is just DONE. I don't understand how parents monitor kid's homework every.single.night. It was torture.

Writing is actually FUn here, but it is one of our more intensive subjects....hmm...it seems like everything is intense except for Spanish and Spelling.....diagramming is pretty straightforward....