Menu

Singapore kids who want to do it ALL in their head

Cindyz

We are now finishing up with Singapore 2b, and my son is very resistant to writing out any problems to figure them out. He wants to do them all in his head. He's very good at it, but not perfect. There are times when it just seems like it would be easier to write it out and add it up in a column. I see his eyes squinting all up as he's trying to hold all of the numbers in his head while he figures it out.

Is it just my old fashioned math thinking that is wanting him to write out the more difficult problems? Singapore does teach adding and subtracting in columns as well and says to allow them to write it out if they need to.

What I have been doing is letting him do it in his head and if it's incorrect, then have him write it in a column to do the correction. I don't know what's coming up in the future with this program to know if this is going to be a problem or if it's a good thing.

Thanks all for reading!

My mathy DS7 does it all in his head. His tutor walks him through his thinking if it is incorrect but so far he hasn't had the need to write it all out. I think I'll let him to it in his head as long as he is able to with reasonable accuracy. I do know from working with my older DD that there will come a point when he will need to write things out, but that day isn't here yet and he has certainly built a great mental math ability. There are times even with AoPS that my DD will do things in her head that I cannot comprehend, I just shrug my shoulders when it's right. I think it's a mathy thing to some extent. :) I do make my DS dictate the process during word problems at times, while I write them for him to see, just so he realizes how it would look.

Both of my older daughters (5 & 7) would do everything in their head if they could. While I love that, it's awesome, I also make them learn the algorithm (I'm actually glad that LoF teaches this way). I think both approaches have their uses, and IMO the algorithm is faster for large number computations.

My 5 yo also does some mental math that's just plain weird. E.g., if she's adding 85+6, sometimes she'll add 5 then 1, but other times she'll add 3 then 3 (so not making multiples of 10). Who knows...

I wouldn't force him to write it out unless he makes mistakes consistently. My son also does a lot of mental math. I sometimes have him explain to me how he got to the answer and a lot of times I am surprised. I really think that we had to write out all the steps in school so that the teacher could see we weren't cheating and see where the problems are. Honestly, with one-on-one instruction, you can just ask the child. Those who love mental math could have their love of math killed by having to write out every.single.step. I know because that happened to me! :glare:

They need to learn the habit of working in writing. Maybe not always, but they should be doing it when you ask for it. When you get to algebra/complex problems, you need the proper form for working in writing. It is far simpler to learn the habit now.

My son was a mental math guy, and he is now struggling simply because he has to think about writing out problems, whereas if I had required a bit more form perfection in the beginning it would be second nature now. When you get further there is enough new information without having to learn the new discipline of form.

Some kids might not need this, but it wont hurt them to learn it early.

I don't know what's coming up in the future with this program to know if this is going to be a problem or if it's a good thing.

Thanks all for reading!

My daughter used Singapore for several years and is now using AoPS Pre-Algebra. I have struggled for quite some time to get her to show her work for at least some of the problems--even if she knows how to do it in her head. Now that she has to be able to prove why answers are correct, it is finally sinking in that showing the work sometimes matters tremendously.

Thank you AoPS!!!

So yes, I think it is important to sometimes require the student to show the work. Starting young is probably a good idea.

We are now finishing up with Singapore 2b, and my son is very resistant to writing out any problems to figure them out. He wants to do them all in his head. He's very good at it, but not perfect. There are times when it just seems like it would be easier to write it out and add it up in a column. I see his eyes squinting all up as he's trying to hold all of the numbers in his head while he figures it out.

Is it just my old fashioned math thinking that is wanting him to write out the more difficult problems? Singapore does teach adding and subtracting in columns as well and says to allow them to write it out if they need to.

What I have been doing is letting him do it in his head and if it's incorrect, then have him write it in a column to do the correction. I don't know what's coming up in the future with this program to know if this is going to be a problem or if it's a good thing.

Thanks all for reading!

I did the same thing with my sin last year. He did it in his head and we wrote it out if he missed it. He felt like he failed if he had to write it out. It took a lot to convince him it was okay!

At the moment, DS does pretty much all of it in his head. If he gets it incorrect, or if he NEEDS to, he will write it out. I really would like for him to write things out every time, but it's incredibly frustrating for him if I 'make' him...so for now, I just have him do it when it's necessary. There will come a time, he will find, that he NEEDS to write everything out and he will be fine doing so.

My ds8 is also resistant to writing out his work but I still require it. He can easily do it in his head correctly, but I'm training him for higher math. I tutor PreAlgebra-Calculus and have a lot of difficulty with students who either won't write down their work or don't know how to write it down neatly and logically. I spend a lot of time remediating those skills before we can even get to the math. After 2 years of working on it, it is becoming automatic for him and he doesn't complain nearly as much.

ETA: He doesn't need to write it out in columns if he can do it mentally. I just need to be able to follow his thought process through the problem.

Edited by Dinsfamily

My DS7 too is in SM 2B and prefers to do it all mentally. I think that it is because he is a visual learner, and so he can visualize mental math well, and he doesn't like the writing procedures. Sometimes I write and he dictates me his mental process.

I think in 2B it's fine. When ds started 3A, I made him write it out everytime unless it was a mental math problem. Once he hit 4, there are more multi-step problems. I explained to ds that I can't see inside his head so he needs to show me his thought process. Requiring writing it out has also helped me note where there are conceptual misunderstandings. I want him to get in the habit because in pre-algebra and algebra, he'll need to show all his work.

I agree its important to learn to write out problems, but for me, there's no point in fighting over it until it becomes crucial. My older son i started homeschooling in 8th grade, and i made a HUGE deal about writing everything. My younger is very advanced in math, and while i did make him write out long division, i dont make him write down things if he can get them correct. as things get more complex, he will have to write more things down in order to get them correct. being strong in mental math is a much harder thing to learn later than being able to write things down, imo

DS is the same way. He likes to do everything in his head. Somewhere around starting SM 6A, I start to put my foot down because going higher level math, u really really need to write it down the process. It helps u think not have to try to remember what u did 10 steps ago. It certainly pay off. Now working on AOPS algebra, he is a lot more willing to write it down once he sees the benifit. I will working on encouraging him write it down right now, but I won't enforce it until he is working on 5th, 6th grade math

I started requiring more showing work in 4th grade math, but something like you're talking about, I don't require using the standard algorithm unless the instructions say to use it.

For word problems, I expect him to show how he got there, now that the problems aren't obvious (like simple adding).

I've also explained why showing you're work is so important in the real world, and that how he got the answer is more important to me than whether the answer is correct (though I expect correct answers, of course - and it's easy to correct a silly mistake if you've shown your work!).

We use RightStart, but I have the same issue with my 8yo. He hates to write anything related to math, and he generally doesn't need to write. He started Singapore CWP 3 this year, and he is starting to see the benefit of at least taking notes in multi-step problems. He does the problem his way and comes up with an answer. Then he watches and listens as I do the problem my way, which includes writing every step in logical progression. I expect he will be writing out his steps by the end of the year.

We don't use Singapore, but I have had the same problem with one of my sons. I'm not sure what the right thing to do is but I do think writing down in columns is important for building on concepts. Don't know if it would fly, but maybe you could tell him that he can solve the problem in his head and that's fine, but then he needs to write down his work just so *you* know how he got the answer. I think the trick is to convince them that writing it down doesn't indicate he can't do it in his head (horrors).:lol:

I had this problem with both of my sons. I believe that it is important, as they head into the higher levels of math, that they get into the habit of writing things out. I let them know that once they hit University, the math they are doing is not just solving to get the right answer but doing proofs of mathematical principles. It may be a little different as I know that my kids are re-entering the public school system (high school) and that grades will be important. I let them know that sometimes part marks can be received for the wrong answer if the teachers sees that you were headed in the right direction. It is/was a struggle but hopefully it will help in the end.