Menu

"Not possible for our children to attend college"

I would just like to point out that until a very recent career change, my DH was a truck driver. Granted, he owned the truck. Even still, he made *ahem* enough money to support us comfortably, allowing me to be a SAHM and homeschool our three kids. So, it really wouldn't be the end of the world if your kids became truck drivers. ;)

My view on college education is this (as someone who is still paying off student loans for a bachelor's degree that I'm not really using as a SAHM): It really isn't the end all to be all. Our kids are being raised to value education highly. However, if they choose a career path that doesn't require college, we will be okay with that too. One thing about skilled trade jobs: They cannot be outsourced.

We are saving what we can for college, but we aren't going to stress out about it. We will help as we can.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: Wow! I guess it just goes to show how different things can be based on region, etc. :)

This isn't solely based on region. I live at least 24 hours drive from Jane (to my dissatisfaction as I would love to meet her!) and we share the same thinking on parents saving for college.

This isn't solely based on region. I live at least 24 hours drive from Jane (to my dissatisfaction as I would love to meet her!) and we share the same thinking on parents saving for college.

Yes, but it can vary even from town to town, often based on most of the populace of each. I'm not talking big regions here. :)

This is perhaps an unusual suggestion, but as my sister went to a Historically Black university (we're Black), she met several white students who took some sort of minority scholarship. Just a thought!

http://www.collegescholarships.org/scholarships/white-scholarship-guide.htm

Interesting!! The term "minority" is in the eye of the beholder. ;) Thanks for the link!

Another angle to consider... look at the gender ratio at some small liberal arts colleges. Many really need, and are trying to recruit, more male students particularly those who can play sports. I've seen male students with pretty average academic records getting some sizable merit scholarships at mid-tier private colleges. Not to say that you can bank on that, but it is an option worth looking at.

Another angle to consider... look at the gender ratio at some small liberal arts colleges. Many really need, and are trying to recruit, more male students particularly those who can play sports. I've seen male students with pretty average academic records getting some sizable merit scholarships at mid-tier private colleges. Not to say that you can bank on that, but it is an option worth looking at.

And on the other side of that coin - women have a distinct advantage at engineering schools. Last I looked my alma matter was working from a 3-to-1 ratio, which was much improved from the 5-to-1 ratio when I attended.

And on the other side of that coin - women have a distinct advantage at engineering schools. Last I looked my alma matter was working from a 3-to-1 ratio, which was much improved from the 5-to-1 ratio when I attended.

Dd and I were just looking this. Her dream school has *twice* the acceptance rate for females. :001_smile:

I would just like to point out that until a very recent career change, my DH was a truck driver. Granted, he owned the truck. Even still, he made *ahem* enough money to support us comfortably, allowing me to be a SAHM and homeschool our three kids. So, it really wouldn't be the end of the world if your kids became truck drivers. ;)

My view on college education is this (as someone who is still paying off student loans for a bachelor's degree that I'm not really using as a SAHM): It really isn't the end all to be all. Our kids are being raised to value education highly. However, if they choose a career path that doesn't require college, we will be okay with that too. One thing about skilled trade jobs: They cannot be outsourced.

We are saving what we can for college, but we aren't going to stress out about it. We will help as we can.

I:iagree:

I am short on time and don't have time to read all the way through but you might check out College Plus or a similar program for getting basics out of the way at a much lower cost before sending the kids to college. There were several examples mentioned at the recent Texas conference of students cutting costs by using CLEP credits.