Piano or Suzuki?

kristinannie

Violin or piano  

1. 1. Violin or piano

• Violin
    • Piano
    • Both
    • Neither

I was wanting to start teaching my 1st grader an instrument. I can play the piano (above average) and the violin (really well). Which instrument would you suggest? The piano is easier, but it also has two clefs to learn. I would use Suzuki for violin. Is there something similar for piano? I found a cheap piano that is in OK condition (one key doesn't work...is that easy to fix???). I would have to rent a violin since the sizing will change so often. One year of violin rental is the same cost as the piano. I would love to hear your thoughts!!!

I have been told by a few people better qualified than me, that piano is one of the best instruments to start on. The kids in my family growing up were required to get their conservatory grade 3 before moving on to another instrument and at least their grade 2 theory. It made the next instrument soooo much easier.

My kids started on violin but quickly disliked it. We didn't do Suzuki, however, so I can't compare the two. We moved on to piano and have stuck with that for three years now. My vote is piano. We use the Faber and Faber series, which I love- the explanations are clear and easy, and the kids enjoy playing the songs. There are four books for each level, but they are only $6 or $7 each. Typically, kids move through a level a year.

Piano. I wish I had learned piano early in life, instead of a string (haha) of single-note instruments. I think it would be much easier to go from piano as a foundation, with all of the theory and music-reading that comes with it, to any other instrument, than vice-versa. I'm trying (again) to learn piano as an adult and it's HARD.

Why not let your child decide? My daughter plays violin and my son plays piano. Both love their respective instruments.

ETA: A friend who's an accomplished pianist and organist reccomended violin first. His reasoning was that it was asbetter for developing an ear. I think there are avantages to both option which is why I let my children's interests lead.

Edited by WishboneDawn

Why not let your child decide? My daughter plays violin and my son plays piano. Both love their respective instruments.

ETA: A friend who's an accomplished pianist and organist reccomended violin first. His reasoning was that it was asbetter for developing an ear. I think there are avantages to both option which is why I let my children's interests lead.

This was my plan, but my son just doesn't know what he wants! :confused1:

I chose to start my DC on Violin then add piano after about 2-3 years (when they have finished book 1). Both through suzuki method. Violin Suzuki with a teacher, piano at home with me (I play too) using this book http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Studying-Suzuki-Piano-Carole-Bigler/9780874875867

:)

I love this book. It is less expensive at amazon, here is the link.

In considering which instrument your son should pursue, I would suggest that you evaluate his ability to concentrate and his coordination level. Can he sit through the piano lesson or will he wiggle the whole way through?

My son began piano and as much as he loved to play he was easily frustrated with his lack of coordination, so he switched to Suzuki violin. And now he loves the violin too.

As you are proficient in both instruments I would suggest starting on the violin to train his ears, followed by the piano in a couple of years. Your decision isn't set in stone, you can always evaluate and perhaps you may end up teaching both instruments.

As to the cost of a violin, there are many music store that have a rent to own policy. And once you own it you can trade up to about 65% of the original cost of the violin to the next size purchase.

A piano can be bought on Craigslist or the local thrift store for a relatively low cost. Buy one without broken keys, and call around for piano repair pricing before you decide to buy a broken one.

Good luck.