Menu

Non-homogenized milk

I found a half-gallon glass bottle of non-homogenized milk (it's pasteurized, not raw) in a local store and bought one. I tried shaking it but the cream just stayed mostly in a clump and the bottle top leaked. It tastes good though.

So, how do I serve this stuff?

It helps to let it sit out for a bit to achieve a slightly warmer temperature. Then the cream mixes in better.

That or, once you've poured off a bit, it's easier to shake together. Hold it with one hand against the lid and one on the bottom, so the lid stays firmly seated.

That or, once you've poured off a bit, it's easier to shake together. Hold it with one hand against the lid and one on the bottom, so the lid stays firmly seated.

I had to use a napkin over the lid because it leaked no matter how tight I tried to hold the lid.

We like our milk cold. The thought of letting is sit out a bit....ew.

I found a half-gallon glass bottle of non-homogenized milk (it's pasteurized, not raw) in a local store and bought one. I tried shaking it but the cream just stayed mostly in a clump and the bottle top leaked. It tastes good though.

The cream is good on desserts or berries. If it's not too thick to dissolve, it's great in coffee! You can just pour it off into a separate container before serving the milk if you want to use it separately.

The cream is good on desserts or berries. If it's not too thick to dissolve, it's great in coffee! You can just pour it off into a separate container before serving the milk if you want to use it separately.

That's what I was thinking. Or pouring it into a different container to mix.

What I really want is raw for less than $10 a gallon.

That's what I was thinking. Or pouring it into a different container to mix.

What I really want is raw for less than $10 a gallon.

But that won't work for you at all. You would still have the separation issues. If you can't deal with letting pasteurized nonhomogenized milk warming enough to mix, what makes you think raw milk will be any different?

But that won't work for you at all. You would still have the separation issues. If you can't deal with letting pasteurized nonhomogenized milk warming enough to mix, what makes you think raw milk will be any different?

I buy both kinds. And the raw milk is different; it's much easier to shake. The cream on the pasteurized milk is thicker/stickier for some reason.

Also, where does Trader Joe's sell non-homogenized milk? Haven't seen that at either of the locations near me. :glare:

I grew up on raw milk and it mixes fine when cold.

I figured we'd get used to it just like we are getting used to eating healthier. I did buy raw once and it wasn't like this. It had cream on top and mixed fine. This cream was so thick and sticky that I had to open the jar and use a knife to dislodge it from the bottle. It wouldn't shake at all because it was a thick blob at the top...about the consistency of whipped butter.

I buy both kinds. And the raw milk is different; it's much easier to shake. The cream on the pasteurized milk is thicker/stickier for some reason.

Also, where does Trader Joe's sell non-homogenized milk? Haven't seen that at either of the locations near me. :glare:

In some areas of California Trader Joes sells non-homogenized milk under the name "Cream Top." It is really good!

"Cream Top" is produced by Strauss Family Dairy. TJs sells in in plastic under the TJ label, some health-food stores have it in glass under the Strauss Family label.

Bill

Homogenizing means that the milk is completely devoid of cream top because by some unnatural (and supposedly not exactly health promoting) method it has been "evened" out so we see no clumps.

Rejoice in the creamy lumps and lick your fingers! :001_smile:

I figured we'd get used to it just like we are getting used to eating healthier. I did buy raw once and it wasn't like this. It had cream on top and mixed fine. This cream was so thick and sticky that I had to open the jar and use a knife to dislodge it from the bottle. It wouldn't shake at all because it was a thick blob at the top...about the consistency of whipped butter.

This sounds just like the milk I get from Kroger.