Menu

hmmmmm... anyone "pack lunches" for they're hsed kids?

I would love to find smething like that in glass.....

Me too. It's been driving me nuts. I'd even settle for stainless. The closest I've seen are Planetboxes, and they're too big for my purposes. I did buy some Lunchbots Duos for co-op lunches this coming year. I think between those, our small Thermoses, and our small round Pyrexes, we might finally have a workable set of tools, but I'd love something with a tad more space/an extra compartment or two.

I really like the square ones. I know Amazon has them, but I may get them at AC Moore with a 50% off coupon.

The mini ones would be good for dips. ;)

Michaels may have them, and they have a 50% off baking item coupon.

I'll check out Michaels. Thanks for the tip, Dawn:)

Me too. It's been driving me nuts. I'd even settle for stainless. The closest I've seen are Planetboxes, and they're too big for my purposes. I did buy some Lunchbots Duos for co-op lunches this coming year. I think between those, our small Thermoses, and our small round Pyrexes, we might finally have a workable set of tools, but I'd love something with a tad more space/an extra compartment or two.

Those planetboxes are nice but they are too big for my purposes....I like the duos!

I'll check out Michaels. Thanks for the tip, Dawn:)

I bought these at Michaels with the 50% off one bakeware coupon. They were $5.24 (with VA sales tax).

Amazon has them for $7.98 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Heart-Silicone-Baking-Count/dp/B000NBNHKQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345149506&sr=8-1&keywords=heart+silicone+baking+cups

231192857.jpg

Edited by nestof3

I bought these at Michaels with the 50% off one bakeware coupon. They were $5.24 (with VA sales tax).

Amazon has them for $7.98 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Heart-Silicone-Baking-Count/dp/B000NBNHKQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345149506&sr=8-1&keywords=heart+silicone+baking+cups

231192857.jpg

Those are adorable.have you seen these? http://www.amazon.com/Kotobuki-Plastic-Mold-Rabbit-Bear/dp/B002TZ04J6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1345157059&sr=8-6&keywords=Bento or these?

Okay, ao i saw the rubbermaid LunchBlox today and i think i am going to splurge on them. Theyre so cute!

I saw those too and had to stop myself from purchasing them;). We have the three sectioned containers from Ziplock ( I think) that I use for packing lunches for day camp, co-op etc. I guess we'll just stick with those but I think I might get those little cupcake liners that Dawn posted to use with them.

:D I have followed all the links and visualized all the cute lunches I could make. I've done all kinds of search for fun lunch ideas and fun containers.

Then...reality sets in. :sad: First, most of these containers wouldn't hold enough food for my boys. Second, most of them look like they are not conducive for heating leftovers - our typical lunches.

I am going to continue being envious from afar...Everyone has great ideas!!

:D I have followed all the links and visualized all the cute lunches I could make. I've done all kinds of search for fun lunch ideas and fun containers.

Then...reality sets in. :sad: First, most of these containers wouldn't hold enough food for my boys. Second, most of them look like they are not conducive for heating leftovers - our typical lunches.

I am going to continue being envious from afar...Everyone has great ideas!!

:iagree: My kids are big eaters and want a full on meal for lunch. I love the looks of everything but it's not practical for here.

Packing lunches......:D!!!!!

What a simple, easy time saver!!!;););)

Why have I never thought of such a simple idea....????:tongue_smilie:

Probably because my brain is tackling AP courses, SAT, Herodutus, phonics & diapers!!

I am always so blessed by this great group of fellow homeschoolers!!

THANK YOU ALL for sharing!!!!:grouphug:

I saw those too and had to stop myself from purchasing them;). We have the three sectioned containers from Ziplock ( I think) that I use for packing lunches for day camp, co-op etc. I guess we'll just stick with those but I think I might get those little cupcake liners that Dawn posted to use with them.

I just bought tHose cupcake liners!

My boys are picky eaters and dont eat much at all, so i think youre right tha this might be suitable for picky eaters. However, amazon sells larger bemto boxes for adults and i bet you could create something wonderful!

Packing lunches......:D!!!!!

What a simple, easy time saver!!!;););)

Why have I never thought of such a simple idea....????:tongue_smilie:

Probably because my brain is tackling AP courses, SAT, Herodutus, phonics & diapers!!

I am always so blessed by this great group of fellow homeschoolers!!

THANK YOU ALL for sharing!!!!:grouphug:

:001_smile: i cant wait for my EasyLnchoxes to arrive from amazon. N the meantime i might buy LunchBlox......if i end up doing something cute for monday i will post it!

Lunch is tough for us. I have picky kids and we don't like to take a long time off_for lunch either.i never have good ideas for lunch during the week, and am to"school focused" during school hours to get creative. Over the summer during camp i packed my boys lunch...fruit, juice our water, sandwich or soup, a cookie..did it the night before usually and put the lunch by the door..ah relief! I was thinking if doing this even though we are obviously still at Home..has anyone done this, and does it make your day run smoother?

Eta: sorry about typo in the subject line! Autocorrect on iPad isn't that helpful lol

When I had my last fibro flare, dh packed lunches for our kids on Sunday for the school week. He made a ton of sandwiches, split up fruit, healthy cookies, etc. into serving bags.

And yes, this made my day run SO.MUCH.SMOOTHER!!!!!!

I have plans to recreate this for our school year. I have the lunch boxes out and cleaned, my little re-usable lunch containers....

Oh, one thing....my kids tended to eat their " lunch" throughout the day....mor snacking than dining....:D. They tended to enjoy grazing.....

:iagree: My kids are big eaters and want a full on meal for lunch. I love the looks of everything but it's not practical for here.

I was inspired to put together my lunch this morning, though. We don't have enough leftovers today so now I have a spaghetti pie waiting for the oven. Now, that feels good!

I will make my dinner at lunchtime and my day will be splendid.

For me, it forces me to provide more variety and balance. I see each compartment as a food I might not normally serve. It's easy for me to get caught in the sandwich rut. I don't normally have leftovers, and if I do, I plan to have the same dinner two nights in a row. I also don't like to cook during the school hours.

I am also a cold lunch, grazing type. So, I think of things like hard-boiled eggs made up ahead of time, fruit, cheese, veggies and dip, half sandwich, etc.

Thanks for all these ideas. I got excited to make cuter plates of food last night and today as a result. My younger son loves "cute food" so I think he will be more helpful to me in meal preparation with this approach. Do any of you get your kids to pack the bento?

We've done this on busy days and it is awesome! It saves us soooooo much time. I don't do it all the time, because the kids clear through the leftovers during lunchtime on those days... but when I know we need every minute we can squeeze out of a day... packed lunches save us a ton of time- both in the prep time and in the time it takes for them to eat.

I've tried this before but my kids hate sandwiches that have been sitting in the fridge all morning. :glare: They say it is just one more reason they're glad we homeschool. :lol: BUT, I am going to try getting all the little fruit/veggie extras made up ahead of time. Anything to save a few minutes is a good thing!!

I've tried this before but my kids hate sandwiches that have been sitting in the fridge all morning. :glare: They say it is just one more reason they're glad we homeschool. :lol: BUT, I am going to try getting all the little fruit/veggie extras made up ahead of time. Anything to save a few minutes is a good thing!!

You could just put little packets of mayo, bread and fillings inside the box and they could make their own, that might be fun. My kids like an assortment of weird items..olives, nuts, carrots, cheese, fruit, salami rollips, eggs, so i am going to try and mix it up alot. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow. I have my first coop class that i am teaching at 130 so this should be a nice timesaver!

another tip I don't think I've seen on sandwiches - if you're putting something moist on the bread, first butter the bread on the side that will be touching it. Keeps it from getting damp or icky. I've used it on dh's lunches the few times of year our counter butter is actually spreadable.

I was ready to do a whole prep of lunches for the week but the store was out of the 3-section containers I really like. So now I'm scratching my head but need to do something otherwise all the great lunch items I bought will get consumed in a mad fit of boredom versus being awesome lunch sets.

I made a simple box for each of my older dds and they liked it alot. DD2 said, "This is the best lunch ever!" That heartened me to keep on trying since I had to tell them that I had tried to make a sandwich boat with a cheese mast and carrot ocean as it wasn't recognizable. :tongue_smilie: I have heart shaped cheese for tomorrow though.

You could just put little packets of mayo, bread and fillings inside the box and they could make their own, that might be fun. My kids like an assortment of weird items..olives, nuts, carrots, cheese, fruit, salami rollips, eggs, so i am going to try and mix it up alot. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow. I have my first coop class that i am teaching at 130 so this should be a nice timesaver!

Oooh! Good idea!

We've tried this the last couple of mornings and it worked GREAT! They love it, and I loved having everything ready for snacktime and lunch. Thanks for the great idea!

We have two of the "Fit and Fresh, 7 piece lunch on the go" sets. (Bought at Target, but Amazon also carries. Hm... Amazon shows several different versions, we have the seven piece set/size.)

I love them because I can arrange the inside in different ways, depending on what we are packing, plus it has an ice block that fits inside the lid.

We have two of the "Fit and Fresh, 7 piece lunch on the go" sets. (Bought at Target, but Amazon also carries. Hm... Amazon shows several different versions, we have the seven piece set/size.)

I love them because I can arrange the inside in different ways, depending on what we are packing, plus it has an ice block that fits inside the lid.

Those are nice too!

Okay, so we packed lunches four out of five days this weeks and WOW! They were such a hit! They saved soooooo much time during the day, clean up was no -existent, and kids had a lot more variety.plus, there was way less interruption to our school day...they could just grab their lunch and i could do a hisptry read aloud while they ate, with barely a misstep! I bought some cute japanese toothpicks, and cut their sandwiches into different shapes (hey we're doing geometry! :lol:) they love the mini samples. Different foods. We are definitely going to contnue doing this.

Okay, so we packed lunches four out of five days this weeks and WOW! They were such a hit! They saved soooooo much time during the day, clean up was no -existent, and kids had a lot more variety.plus, there was way less interruption to our school day...they could just grab their lunch and i could do a hisptry read aloud while they ate, with barely a misstep! I bought some cute japanese toothpicks, and cut their sandwiches into different shapes (hey we're doing geometry! :lol:) they love the mini samples. Different foods. We are definitely going to contnue doing this.
Awesome! When did you eat?

Could you post what your lunches included? Where did you get the toothpicks?