Menu

oops - singapore math us edition

mamamindy

Yes. I'm wondering if I should return/exchange these for the standards edition before we use them. I guess I was reading (somewhere?) that the US edition was fine (and it's cheaper) so that is what I purchased. Now I see that it's not preferred. Hmmm... what to do?

Yes. I'm wondering if I should return/exchange these for the standards edition before we use them. I guess I was reading (somewhere?) that the US edition was fine (and it's cheaper) so that is what I purchased. Now I see that it's not preferred. Hmmm... what to do?

We've used the US edition since the beginning and aren't switching. The extra cost just isn't worth it to me. They've worked great for years.

Ask yourself... Preferred by whom? The only people who have to be happy with it are in your family, not a group of strangers on a message board. If it works for you, keep it and run with it-- I is pretty hard to mess up first grade math :)

For what (little) it is worth, we are a professional math & science family-- math, physics, biology, and linguistics degrees between the two of us, going up to a PhD in math, among other things (and some early childhood Ed experience tossed in for good measure) and we're perfectly happy with the US edition of Singapore math-- DS8 is nearly through 4A now (atypical progress).

I would not rush to return it. Try it out first, see if you like it.

We just got our Singapore Primary Math US edition textbooks, workbooks and HIGs in the mail for 1a & 1b. I had singapore math recommended to me. Did you get the wrong edition??

The "Standards Edition" was specifically written to meet California state standards. IIRC, the introduction of some topics was pushed down into lower grade levels, but the US edition is already pretty advanced compared to many other math programs, so I wouldn't worry about it. Many people still use (and prefer) the regular US Edition.

Jackie

Ask yourself... Preferred by whom? The only people who have to be happy with it are in your family, not a group of strangers on a message board. If it works for you, keep it and run with it-- I is pretty hard to mess up first grade math :)

For what (little) it is worth, we are a professional math & science family-- math, physics, biology, and linguistics degrees between the two of us, going up to a PhD in math, among other things (and some early childhood Ed experience tossed in for good measure) and we're perfectly happy with the US edition of Singapore math-- DS8 is nearly through 4A now (atypical progress).

I would not rush to return it. Try it out first, see if you like it.

Do you use anything with the US Edition? Home Instructor's Guide?

I have been using US edition for 1st and 2nd grade (1A - 2B) with just the textbook and student text. Do you add anything to them?

I have been using US edition for 1st and 2nd grade (1A - 2B) with just the textbook and student text. Do you add anything to them?

I don't use the HIGs, but I do own this book (very slim college textbook on how education majors should teach the SM material). We also add in IP and CWP.

I have the HIG. What is the CWP and IP again? :001_huh: I do plan on adding in some c-rods and maybe miquon...? We'll see.

THANK YOU all for the encouragement!!

CWP= Challenging Word Problems

IP= Intensive Practice

I really don't think SM is complete without CWP. I didn't use IP until this year. Ds8 didn't really need it and still doesn't. He masters the concepts easily. It does work well for ds6, however. He is very bright (likely gifted), but not a natural math guy. He has no problem mastering the concepts, but I feel the need to slow him down and give him more practice. The IPs have been perfect for that. They offer him some challenge along with the practice.

I also use Miquon (among other things since we are a heavy STEM family) and C Rods. C-Rods are the most used manipulative at my house and often used with SM. My boys call Miquon "fun math."

I got the HIG and found it was full of games boring to us, and the ideas are not something I needed. If you are terrified and can't think of number games on your own, HIG would be useful.

Nor did I like the Elementary Teachers text someone else linked. Really dry. I found reading Liping Ma's book very stimulating (there is a social group on the book where I have posted many comments about it, chapter by chapter) and I read, re-read, and re-re-read Ahroni's Arithmetic for Parents. He uses SM and quotes Ma, and has done a lot of hands on teaching in Israel.

One thing I did do was go through the SM books myself and pretended I was a child. I did the manipulatives and assumed I just knew nothing about math. I learned a lot. :) I now love math after decades of math-aversion.

I used the extra practise (EP), the IP and then the CWP a year behind. I color tabbed the EP and IP and CWP for topic (addition, subtraction, and later fractions etc). I did get the EP standards just to see what few bits they covered that wasn't in the US edition. I keep the unused parts of those extra books to swing back around for refresh, reminding, reinforcement.

In our house dice and card games the favorite manipulative (and the clock). At the 1A and 1B stage, we played a lot of games. Let your imagination go wild. There is also Sum Swamp, Dino Race, and Money Bags. Most of all we did simple addition and subtraction bingo.

HTH.

Don't be afraid to come back and ask more specific questions. :)

I use the textbook, workbook, and IP book. I got some HIG's, but so far they have been unnecessary. Just remember that if you wish to teach the Singapore method, don't skip the concrete step first. If that part puzzles you, use the HIG's.

I do not feel this amounts to any significant book flipping (I think I am more chilled out than a lot of people that way). We just do a section of the text (after the concrete lesson is understood) together, put that away, and when he is ready, he does the associated workbook exercises. At the end of a chapter, he works through the chapter of the IP book. We don't do every exercise. See, no flipping.

• 2 weeks later...
In theory I prefer the US Edition, I don't personally care about the state standards. BUT I do live in California and am homeschooling through a charter school which requires yearly testing. So I wonder if it would be better to go with the Standards edition. Looking over the scope and sequence on Singapore's website, I don't see that it's really much different. Not sure if that means I should go for the standards edition, or not bother.

If you will be using the charter school stipend to purchase Singapore materials, they may only pay for the Standards edition. The charter my kids are enrolled in has that policy.