Menu

Must read books for HS Parent?

Some books that I've read that have inspired and educated me: WTM (of course!), Liping Ma's book, First Grade Diary, and The Read-aloud Handbook. I have Deconstructing Penguins on hold at the library, but am looking for some more must-reads. Your thoughts? :bigear:

Homeschooling for Excellence by David and Micki Colfax

All of John Holt's books, but at least the last one, Teach Your Own

Homegrown Kids, Homespun Schools, Homeschool Burn-Out, by Dr. Moore

Mary Prides' Big Books of Home Learning and Schoolproof

Some books that I've read that have inspired and educated me: WTM (of course!), Liping Ma's book, First Grade Diary, and The Read-aloud Handbook. I have Deconstructing Penguins on hold at the library, but am looking for some more must-reads. Your thoughts? :bigear:

All of those are good. I include:

The War Against Grammar

Unlocking the Logic of English

Rex Barks

Arithmetic for Parents by Ahroni.

The Elements of Style

Science Matters

The Art of Argument

and

Njal's Saga

Why N's S? It is a terrific book, and more people should read it. :D

The one that had the most influence on me is For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay.

:iagree: That was the first book put into my hands by a sweet HS momma.

I read a lot of Montessori materials when mine were very young.

Charlotte Mason's 6 books are worthy reads. A Charlotte Mason Education by Catherine Levison makes a good outline for sifting through CM's own writings. I like getting the big picture first, so I'd recommend the Levison book 1st. (It's nice and short.) But, don't leave it at that b/c reading CM's own works gives the full picture.

I found a plethera of free/cheap used curricula (especially teacher's guides) and read read read. I'd either give them away or sell them again when I finished, but that was quite educational for me.

I read For the Children's Sake a few years back and it didn't strike a cord with me. I am currently reading When Children Love to Learn , which is a follow-up to For the Children's Sake and I am loving it! I am planning to re-read For the Children's Sake, since my homeschooling purpose and perspective have changed a lot since first reading it.

Also, my favorite to recommend is always Clay & Sally Clarkson's Educating the Wholehearted Child.

Esp. for when they want to count by 5s to 1000. Again.

I would add a book that has not one mention of homeschooling in it (that I can recall). It's called Smart Moves: Why Learning is not All in Your Head. I've found the techniques in it useful both for the students and the teachers...