Menu

Will someone just tell me what to do! ugh Math!

mama27

Out of curiosity I had my almost 13 yo dd take the CLE math placement test She placed in grade 5! Sh'e on lesson 31 of TT pre-algebra but forgot some of the things because she hasn't done it in awhile.

:glare:

So, now I'm going insane trying to decide if i should put her in CLE 5 and push her to catch up or use Lial's BCM.

I HAVE Lial's and she said that would make her feel better since it's a college text but I would have to be more involved because of the size and amount of problems. The problem with that is my other 5 kids and my parents just moved in with us in May.

I kepp leaning toward CLE because I "assume" it would be more independant which is why I chose TT in the first place! But I don't want to switc h around anymore and CLE doesn't have algebra.

I would use Lial's BCM. The number of problems can be overwhelming, so I only assign some not all. Usually I assign the straight math problems one day (or 2), then the word problems the next. I had the soft cover and we just worked in the book when possible. Some days I would just do part of the section and just do the problems from that.

Linda

Sorry, but the issue is not the TT pre-algebra. My dd is doing it, and she got 99% percentile across the board for math on her standardized testing this spring. Your dd hasn't done enough of it to get past the early review material. As far as going to Lial's, that's nuts. I have it. It has small print, lots of problems, and requires a teacher. If your kid isn't even getting done TT, which is as independent as it gets (15-20 minutes of butt in the seat and charming computerized companions to cheer her on), then how is she going to get done something aimed at a much older student that requires a teacher??

Get religion about math. This is the age to get religion and buckle down. Did you give her the TT placement test before you bought the pre-algebra? I would make sure she was placed correctly in the first place. If she wasn't and she was overwhelmed, that might be why she's not getting it done. I would sit her down, make a plan, affirm it, and enforce it. I sit MY butt in the chair directly beside her for every lesson, and now the TT math gets done. It's not independent. It still has to be enforced.

PS. Your dc is 12, turning 13 soon? That's a rising 7th grader. Doing pre-algebra in 7th is still a very rigorous path. I'd make sure she placed correctly into TT in the first place. I know there's so much banter about TT being wimpy, bump up, blah blah, but this is an age where hormones are surging and you have development to wait for. My kid forgot 3+4 a lot of days last year. Seriously. :) That's why gr 7 math in almost every curriculum is such a repeat of all the previous math, with just a dab of extension into pre-algebra topics later in the year. Many kids seem to forget everything they previously knew. :D

Edited by OhElizabeth

I did give her the placement test and she placed in pre-algebra. She was coming from Saxon 76 which was taking soooooo long. I didn't think math needed to keep taking 2 hours a day.

She is getting the lessons done and is passing, mostly 90's and above. But I'm thinking she needs more review because of the fact that she forgets things.

Sorry, but the issue is not the TT pre-algebra. My dd is doing it, and she got 99% percentile across the board for math on her standardized testing this spring. Your dd hasn't done enough of it to get past the early review material. As far as going to Lial's, that's nuts. I have it. It has small print, lots of problems, and requires a teacher. If your kid isn't even getting done TT, which is as independent as it gets (15-20 minutes of butt in the seat and charming computerized companions to cheer her on), then how is she going to get done something aimed at a much older student that requires a teacher??

Get religion about math. This is the age to get religion and buckle down. Did you give her the TT placement test before you bought the pre-algebra? I would make sure she was placed correctly in the first place. If she wasn't and she was overwhelmed, that might be why she's not getting it done. I would sit her down, make a plan, affirm it, and enforce it. I sit MY butt in the chair directly beside her for every lesson, and now the TT math gets done. It's not independent. It still has to be enforced.

PS. Your dc is 12, turning 13 soon? That's a rising 7th grader. Doing pre-algebra in 7th is still a very rigorous path. I'd make sure she placed correctly into TT in the first place. I know there's so much banter about TT being wimpy, bump up, blah blah, but this is an age where hormones are surging and you have development to wait for. My kid forgot 3+4 a lot of days last year. Seriously. :) That's why gr 7 math in almost every curriculum is such a repeat of all the previous math, with just a dab of extension into pre-algebra topics later in the year. Many kids seem to forget everything they previously knew. :D

If she is doing well with TT and just making forgetful errors I wouldn't switch her. Instead supplement with what she is forgetting. If it is formulas make them memory work, if it is multiplication tables make them memory work. If she is forgetting HOW to do something find some free worksheets on that topic and have her do them as additional practice.

Different math programs hit different skills at different times. Frequent switching can cause issues, sticking with one math and seeing it through will ensure that all topics will be covered. At least that's what i've gathered from searching WTM for long periods of time. ;)

That said, different programs also have different levels of rigor. It depends on the student and what they are looking to accomplish long-term.

If she's doing well in TT pre-algebra, I wouldn't assume that she needs to be placed in 5th grade in a different curriculum.

If you're concerned about loss of basic arithmetic skills, I'd supplement with mixed review worksheets. I'd make them short, like, 5 problems. If all are worked perfectly, done. If not, another, similar worksheet. This provides motivation to do them well and not just hurry through to get them done, which, frankly, is one of the things that tends to happen with teenagers and review of material they think they know.

I did give her the placement test and she placed in pre-algebra. She was coming from Saxon 76 which was taking soooooo long. I didn't think math needed to keep taking 2 hours a day.

She is getting the lessons done and is passing, mostly 90's and above. But I'm thinking she needs more review because of the fact that she forgets things.

I don't think 2 hours a day for math to be too long. :)

The people we know doing Robinson spend 2 hours on math (that is, one Saxon lesson), 1 hr. writing, 2 hrs. reading. IMHO, I think that's pretty reasonable.

Actually, the people we know in public school and homeschooling spend 2 hours on math, too. (Often an hour in school, an hour of homework. )

Hey! We usually spend two hours on math, too! :)

All this to say, don't worry how long it takes, regardless of which program you decide to use. :)

First and foremost, :grouphug:

When asking about math, you can get such conflicting advice because people have such different worldviews, access to resources, person experiences, etc.

Unless someone asks a VERY specific question, I can't give math advice unless I know more about a person's homeschooling mission statement, goals, resources, personality, ect. I don't know enough to offer much help, but just wanted mostly to offer you some support.

I've graduated two very different boys, one very accelerated in math, the other...well...he walked his own untraditional and shortcut path...that somehow worked out for him. I've recently remediated some brain damage that resulted in me no longer knowing how to divide, and have been learning lots of math I never learned while doing that. And I tutor LD and ESL adult students. So, I've seen and used a lot of curricula over the years and don't believe in a one size fits all way of approaching math education. Different strokes for different folks.

It's okay if you choose not to spend 2 hours a day on math. There are certain consequences and doors closed if you choose to do that, but it also opens other doors by freeing up time for other things.

If she is doing well with TT and just making forgetful errors I wouldn't switch her. Instead supplement with what she is forgetting. If it is formulas make them memory work, if it is multiplication tables make them memory work. If she is forgetting HOW to do something find some free worksheets on that topic and have her do them as additional practice.

:iagree:

supplement.

I feel your pain, Math was a big struggle here too.:grouphug:

We are a couple of years behind you, but we are finding TT with LOF to be a good mix. They seem to compliment each other well. We are still in the elementary series, but the thing I like about Fred is that it ties into other subjects, gives the answer to the "why do I need to learn this?" question. I remember being a kid struggling with Math. One thing was I just did not see any point to it.

Best of luck

Best of luck.

Thanks for all the replies.

Supplementing...hmmm...maybe I should just do that. But not LOF, this child hates to read and reads sooooooooo sloooooowly.

I know there've been lots of different opinions on here about math, that's why I asked I hoped someone would come up with something that my Mommy brain can't think of.