Menu

Really Good Dairy Free Ice Cream?

Is there such as thing? I've gone mostly dairy free for myself and, especially this time of year, ice cream is really the only thing I miss. Can anyone recommend a really good tasting DF ice cream? It's so expensive that I would hate to spend $4 for a teeny tiny container just to find out that it tastes horrid:glare:

I also miss cheese and crackers;)

I honestly haven't found a DF ice cream that I HAVEN'T liked. :) But I know some people say they aren't as creamy as the DF kinds. There are lots of ways to make your own, too, so you can experiment and not really spend a small fortune.

Daiya makes "cheese" wedges. Personally, I don't care for them, but my DH LOVES them.

We like the So Delicious Dairy Free Ice Cream. It's coconut milk ice cream and it's really good. My dd cannot have dairy but everyone else in our house eats it too. Their ice cream sandwiches are a favorite in our house!!

Soy-, coconut-, or almond-based?

I have bought two types of almond milk ice cream for my lactose-intolerant dd12. It is so freaking expensive! She liked the vanilla So Delicious almond that I found at a regular grocery store ($4 sale, $7.99 regular!!!!!!). Yesterday I went to Whole Foods for the first time (it's 40 min away) and found two other brands of almond milk ice cream. Almond Dream was on sale for $3 so I bought chocolate, cappuccino swirl, and a box of vanilla ice cream sandwiches. Dd licked the bowl of chocolate clean :)

I haven't purchases soy or coconut ice creams as other dd is allergic.

I prefer almond milk ice creams to the rest. I don't mind coconut if it's just plain coconut, but if I want mint-chocolate chip, I don't want coconut flavor in it, too. I haven't tried making it in my ice cream freezer, but I would love to know if almond milk will work in it or not.

I've just recently been trying goat's milk to see if I tolerate it, and so far so good. I'm tutoring a student of a friend who has goats. She's partially paying me in goat's milk and cheese. I haven't thought to ask her if it makes good ice cream.

I prefer almond milk ice creams to the rest. I don't mind coconut if it's just plain coconut, but if I want mint-chocolate chip, I don't want coconut flavor in it, too. I haven't tried making it in my ice cream freezer, but I would love to know if almond milk will work in it or not.

I've just recently been trying goat's milk to see if I tolerate it, and so far so good. I'm tutoring a student of a friend who has goats. She's partially paying me in goat's milk and cheese. I haven't thought to ask her if it makes good ice cream.

I would love to make almond milk ice cream in my freezer too! I haven't found any recipes online yet.

I would love to make almond milk ice cream in my freezer too! I haven't found any recipes online yet.

Rice Dream ice cream is *NASTY* stuff, do not get it!

Almond Dream is pretty good, though expensive.

The So Delicious coconut ice cream really depends on the flavor. We really like the Cherry Amaretto one but haven't cared so much for the others we've tried. Again, it's very pricey.

Sorbet is what I usually get for my child who is on a dairy-free diet because it's a lot less expensive than the almond or coconut ice creams.