Menu

Anyone have a fool-proof way...(yogurt related)

to make THICK yogurt? I'm in the midst of attempting to strain a large amount of yogurt...and getting mixed results. I've tried adding 2 c. of powdered milk for a gallon (makes it a little thicker, but not thick), tried adding some unflavored gelatin (I don't dare add more, it changes the texture a bit too much), I tried using my clear-jel (don't have to cook it, won't turn food cloudy like cornstarch).

I'm using a cheese cloth (it will do about 1.5 qts. at a time...takes forever), and a yogurt strainer (doing about 2 cups at a time). I have roughly 2 gallons to strain.

I want it thick to make parfaits with. It needs to be on the thick side before I add sweeteners, so the berries don't get "lost" in the yogurt, and so that it looks like you can eat it with a spoon vs. drink it...:tongue_smilie:

Thoughts?

If you can keep cooking your milk at 180 degrees for around 30 minutes, it will be much thicker. Even if you can't do it the whole 30, the longer you keep it at that temp the thicker it will be.

I just use regular milk and then add 1-2 tablespoons of starter depending on how much I am making.

I just make mine from regular milk. When straining I line my big colander with cheese cloth, pour it all in (I do a gallon at a time) and just let it sit on my counter. I probably leave it sit for at least 30 minutes if not more. I have noticed that I need to remember that it does thicken up a bit as it chills in the fridge also. My recipe says that for Greek style to let it strain until it decreases in volume

By half.

to make THICK yogurt? I'm in the midst of attempting to strain a large amount of yogurt...and getting mixed results. I've tried adding 2 c. of powdered milk for a gallon (makes it a little thicker, but not thick), tried adding some unflavored gelatin (I don't dare add more, it changes the texture a bit too much), I tried using my clear-jel (don't have to cook it, won't turn food cloudy like cornstarch).

I'm using a cheese cloth (it will do about 1.5 qts. at a time...takes forever), and a yogurt strainer (doing about 2 cups at a time). I have roughly 2 gallons to strain.

I want it thick to make parfaits with. It needs to be on the thick side before I add sweeteners, so the berries don't get "lost" in the yogurt, and so that it looks like you can eat it with a spoon vs. drink it...:tongue_smilie:

Thoughts?

I make mine with 1/2 half-and-half and 1/2 milk. There's generally some water left over with it, but it's still pretty thick. A couple of days ago, I accidentally left it in the incubator for 17 hours (!) and it was thick and delicious with absolutely no water. I think I'm going to do this from now on.

My yogurt has always been thick enough that it reminded me of jello. It depends on the temperature consistency and how high your temperature during setting it. The cool down period is also pretty vital. I've always just made mine from whole milk straight from the cow. Pasteurized milk doesn't thicken as well.

What you need is a large jelly strainer bag. I made a couple out of muslin with a draw string top. Pour it in, and set over a bowl. I usually let it drip at room temp for the first hour, and then put it in the fridge. I have an extra fridge in the garage with the wire shelves. I take a wooden spoon and lay it across the top of the shelf, and then tie the bag from underneath the shelf with a huge bowl underneath. You can just leave it overnight and forget about it. If you leave it that long, you'll have something thick as cream cheese!

And don't ditch the whey! Add it to drinks for the kids or just take a big swig. It's a good source of B vitamins

I add 1/2 cup of powdered milk per quart, also add sugar and vanilla before incubating. Refrigerate at least 8 hours immediately after incubation. It's always thick (easy to eat with a sppon) with a very smooth texture.

I've upped the powdered milk a bit (maybe to 3/4 cup?) a few times to get a thicker, higher protein yogurt.

I agree with what others have said re: holding at 180 for as long as you can before lowering temp is the best way to get thick yogurt (though a pain because you have to babysit the pot for a long time to keep it from boiling over). Best advice is bring up to temp in the thickest pot that you own. Once you get to 180, hold it there until you get bored (for me 5 minutes). Then turn off the heat, cover the pot, and walk away for 30 min. Keeping the yogurt at 180 rearranges the protein molecules and makes it thicken (you'll have to Google for a better explanation) better.

More fat will help; raw milk yogurt tends to be thicker. Put in fridge overnight after incubation. The yogurt will thicken and settle. Whey (watery stuff) will rise to the top. You can either stir it back in (which will thin the yogurt a little) or pour it off. But don't throw it away!! That's good protein. If you ferment vegetables, you can use it for that. If not, just add it to something (a few tablespoons in a pot will be tasteless) like soup or smoothie or even your cereal milk. People pay good money at GNC for whey protein. Don't toss it under any circumstances! Eat it!