Menu

Fashion Help - comfy shoes for pleated uniform skirt for tall 11yo

My dd is 5'4" and is going to a classical charter school in a couple of weeks :001_unsure:. She has to wear this skirt (because she isn't a tuck-and-belt kinda girl). She also has bad knees and needs shoes with support. We're going shoe shopping this weekend which is down below root canals on my list of fun things to do. What kind of shoe should I be looking for? She can wear either quarter crew, crew or knee socks with the skirt. Right now, she wears very supportive tennis shoes all the time to help her knees feel better. Here is the shoe rule:

Entirely black, brown or cordovan (soles and laces), ties, flats or slip-ons, leather or leather-like. Closed-toe, closed-heel. No heels over 1â€. No logos should appear on the shoes. NO athletic shoes, sandals, including Birkenstocks, cloth shoes or sport boots of any kind, or shoes that look like slippers.

It has a lot of "no's" but not a lot of real guidance that helps me. I always think mary janes or boots with uniforms, but mary janes have no support and boots aren't allowed. Help me. Please.

At my daughter's school last year, all the girls wore Sperry Topsiders in the fall, Ugg boots in the winter, and Tom's slip-ons in the spring. Those were the cool brands.

Can your daughter wear orthotic inserts? Wearing them in regular shoes would be a lot cheaper than buying special shoes, and you'd have a much better choice that way.

I would also check with the school. If there is a medical reason she needs the support of tennis shoes, it is possible she would be permitted to wear them. I've taught several kids over the years who needed specific support from their shoes that was difficult to come by within uniform requirements.

At my daughter's school last year, all the girls wore Sperry Topsiders in the fall, Ugg boots in the winter, and Tom's slip-ons in the spring. Those were the cool brands.

I was going to suggest Sperrys too but all of the above shoes have labels on them, so I'm guessing they're all out. :tongue_smilie:

Other brands: Clarks or Merrell. A large department store should have at least a few pair of these, and major malls will have specialty shoe stores--like the Walking Store or even Easy Spirit. Expect to pay in the neighborhood of $100, give or take. Also I have owned several pairs of Eastlands and they are great, and match your criteria. I used to be able to get them at Kohl's but had to order the last pair from Zappos.

Crossing my fingers that you find something suitable!