Menu

AAS ...is it worth it?

Dustybug

I've been using the spelling included with HOD because that is our core curriculum, but I have to say that I'm not overly impressed and I see some retention issues with my DD using it as is. So, I'm considering buying AAS because I've heard so many great things about it, but the cost is making me hesitate.

Is it really worth it?

Are there any other great spelling programs out there that are more than a list of words to memorize?

I was not impressed with AAS but... I think it may be because of my particular situation. IMO, AAS would be a better spelling program for a student who is concurrently developing phoneme awareness in reading at roughly same rate as the spelling program. Like a 1st grader.

I tried it with a dyslexic, struggling speller who was reading several grade levels ahead. So there I was with a 3rd grader who read 5th grade books but was at a 1st or 2nd grade spelling level. It just did not resonate for us. It just seemed infantile to her because she was already such a capable reader, and it was telling her things she already *knew* but just couldn't consistently apply in spelling for whatever reason.

We did use the magnetic tiles, however, as a visual manipulative for her use while writing. I used extra writing for spelling last year and had her use the tiles to determine a correct spelling before putting pen to paper.

We are trying Phonetic Zoo this year. It is not just a list of words (we've tried the "spelling list" programs too and like you, no retention. There could be 100% on tests but a week later the same word could come up and it would be spelled incorrectly. Frustrating!) Phonetic Zoo uses audio heavily, and also emphasizes learning spelling rules. I am so intrigued and cannot wait to try it, but my experience isn't there so I can't necessarily recommend it (though many people do.) Downside of PZ is that you need to have found *some* way to push past the lower-elementary spelling difficulties as I think it requires around a 3rd grade level proficiency in spelling. For us getting there was ALL about writing copywork and dictation. Painfully and carefully plowing through it.

Good luck.

Are there any other great spelling programs out there that are more than a list of words to memorize?

Yes. I've used the Modern Speller, and plan to move on to Wheeler's Elementary Speller when we're done: you can get both for free. I'm also pulling AAS in sometimes, and will say that the rules help enormously -- there are threads on other sources for the rules, though. I like the style of the other programs better, but using AAS really does help Button internalize the rules so he can spell words he's never written before.

I do the Modern Speller as copywork in the AM, with StartWrite software (but you can often find free programs to for making manuscript worksheets -- Zaner-Bloser has a free one, though you can't save things on it and you have limited compositional/stylistic choices). Then dictate the words and sentences in the PM. Note any misspellings and add them to each day's work until they are mastered, &c. Modern Speller includes a natural review of previous words, and uses real sentences of interest to a child.

I would say maybe give a free or less-expensive program a whirl for a month or two, and then reassess?

I seem to be almost the only person who would say this, but ... I'm disappointed by my experience with AAS.

I started using it with my very poor speller at the end of her second grade year. I think we used it through the very beginning of fifth grade. She enjoyed it. I thought it was brilliant. We did plenty or review.

I think she had very little retention. It just did not transfer over to her real-life writing, no matter how much we reviewed. Plus it hit me as crazy that she was ten and still working on words that seemed like they were at a first or second grade level. Is it my fault for not going faster? Maybe, but why whiz ahead when she still regularly spelling the words wrong that we've worked on??

We switched to Spelling Power, and after a few months she told me, "AAS was fun, but I feel like I'm learning more with SP." She is still a "bad" speller, but is no longer an "absolutely atrocious" one.

But everyone else raves about AAS.

I found it to be useful for a time - we learned syllabication and what the phonograms were. DS1 had not had a strong phonics foundation since he taught himself to read. AAS helped him get past those 4th grade multisyllable words too. It was also good teacher training for me.

That said, we bailed about halfway through level 3 and are using R&S Spelling now. I recently realized that it teaches basically the same things AAS was teaching, yet it's independent, so it gets done more consistently. This child tends to remember how to spell once he's written the word a few times, so he didn't need all the tiles and such with AAS.

Now did AAS work for DS? Yes. I was seeing improvement in what little writing he did (which wasn't much :lol:). Is R&S working now? Yes. I see even more improvement now that he's actually writing. :D I don't expect it to all come together quite yet (that usually happens closer to age 9 or so), but spelling is going well.

I don't know what I'll use for the younger kids. DS2 will be going through WRTR at least for a while. I doubt we'll do that long term, as I hate spending a lot of time on spelling (of course, if he NEEDS it, I'll do it). DS3 seems to teach himself everything, so maybe he'll be a natural speller. One can always wish, right? ;)

Late to the conversation, but absolutely worth it here. Different perspective since ds is dyslexic, but AAS is the perfect pace for him and is pretty much the only thing that has helped him learn to spell (and his spelling is amazing for a dyslexic - above grade level).

AAS has not been enough syllabication work for a dyslexic in our experience, and ds has yet to get over the 4th grade multisyllabic reading hump, but it has been great for spelling.

Dustybug,

I think it will be great because of the age of your children. And then if it stops working when they get older, you can move on to something else.

I agree with what most of the posters have said about older children using it. It's great for some but it was a bust for my then 9yo. We are now using Spelling Plus and it is a good fit. But AAS did help him review the phonograms and some of the basic spelling rules! So I decided to go ahead and use it for my 7yo this year.

It's not worth it with a good speller. It took me 2 years to figure out why we dropped spelling despite having several levels. Spelling was the last subject I thought I would be buying multiple curricula to figure it all out. I'm now using HTTS and then a root-based spelling program.

However, what I should have done when Dd was really young was to use this right after Alpha-phonics. By the time I got level 2 and 4, she knew how to spell the words, not from knowing the rules, which meant we really needed a program that is rules-based and root-based with advanced words.

It's a tough question with lots of answers! I think a lot depends on teacher and student.

We started with spelling lists early on. My two older ones were constantly in tears (what is it about hs kids and crying??? ;)) So, we moved to AAS. The older two LOVED it. I tried it with #3. I think he was actually too young... didn't work. He read fluently, but wasn't ready for spelling.

Last year I decided to give up AAS (much to my older two's dismay) to put everyone in Spelling Workout. The younger two had started in SWO and I needed something the kids could do on their own. Most of the curriculum I use is so teacher intensive.

Well, believe it or not, after selling all my levels of AAS, I'm now re-buying them. My older two HATED the last year of spelling and after doing AAS, it just makes so much sense. Memorizing lists of words just didn't hold the power I thought it did! :D

So, this year all of the children will be doing AAS. Yes, it takes more time, but I've realized it's worth it. I have good spellers and average spellers. It works well for both. We just work faster through the things they already know.

As far as transferring to their writing... I'm finally seeing progress in my older two. I think it just takes time. I don't think you're going to see perfect spelling every time you complete a rule. It's going to take several years before spelling becomes 2nd nature. That's my experience anyway. I think the only kids who instantaneously have good spelling are the ones with good visual memory. My kids read a lot and that doesn't even make them excellent spellers.

I think the bottom line is, do you believe in the method AAS uses and are you willing to take the time to implement it? If yes, then I think it would go well for you, it's an excellent program and well worth the expense... if not then I'd give something else a try. ;)

I think it's worth the price, spelling is important to me and the approach AAS uses ties in the phonics base we used for reading and makes sense! We're 1/2 way through Level 1 with my 6 1/2 year old who reads at a 4th grade level. It's simple for him and I plan to finish it within a month and move to Level 2, but I wanted to start with Level 1 (since I have 2 just turned 5 year olds who will be using it anyway, why not for just an extra $15?).

I plan to use it through Level 3 which we should be at end of this year, and then re-eval. It is time intensive for the teacher and I don't love that, but the multi sensory approach I think is great so it's worth the time to me. I might switch to Phonics Zoo, if my son likes it, after Level 3 of AAS. Phonics Zoo isn't cheap either but it is more hands off.

There's my two cents!

I think it was worthwhile for me. It empowers me, gives me the confidence that I can teach phonics without going through the learning curve. There was so much going on in my life that I could not just sit for hours planning, reading, researching and practicing in private. I really like SWR, but I never have the time to glue everything together. In that sense, AAS gave me that hand-holding I badly needed. But when I get the hang of it, especially for a natural speller like my DD, I think we might not need the higher levels any more. We've whisked through Level1 till Level3, and 4,5,6 are still sitting in the shelves still in shrink wraps. But we don't have a serious problem with spelling these days, so it does not seem an absolute necessity to continue with it. AAS is expensive, so I'm taking mental notes that I should get back to it to finish it up....Ann

It has been for us. We had tried numerous programs and had some pretty significant issues here, and AAS has really turned a lot of that around for my kids. After two weeks, my then 5th grader said it was the most effective thing we had ever used and not to change again. We'll finish up the last level this year. Not everyone needs it, but if you have a child who struggles with spelling, a beginner that you want to prevent spelling struggles in, or a child who is really interested in learning the rules that are dependable, it can be a great fit. Here's my review. Merry :-)

With my oldest, AAS wouldn't have been a good "fit" even had it been available and in my budget when I started HS her. She is a "natural" speller and didn't do any formal spelling until 3rd grade when she asked to do it. She placed into level G of Spelling Power and zoomed through that program, eventually moving on to Hexco's spelling bee prep materials.

My 2nd child is bright but needs the explicit teaching of the rules. He loves AAS and will be starting level 4 soon. For him it has been worth the money.

AAS has turned out to be an incredibly powerful tool for my kids.

Although it does require one on one work (and I have 3 kids doing the program right now at 3 different levels), I make it work because the AAS dictation sentences fit into my writing and grammar programs (which use dictation/copywork/narration) and also I can use this time to practice handwriting skills.

Yes, I felt the pain of the sticker shock and I was really nervous to buy it. SO, I first found a used copy of the level one book. I then made a few letter tiles out of cardstock and colored the vowels red and the consonants blue.

It didn't take me long to figure out that this was exactly what my struggling speller needed and I ordered everything we needed to do the program.

My kids really like it. :001_smile: