Menu

Anyone ever painted laminate counter tops? Was it hard? Did it last?

Painting sounds like a waste of time and money. If you're considering it, I'm assuming the existing counters are either horribly ugly or in horrible shape.

I think for a quick fix I'd be more likely to have new sheets of laminate cut and glue them over the old ones using the appropriate glue for laminates. If you have square edges that would be easy; if you have rounded edges then not so much. If money is super-short, and you have rounded edges, you might be able to just put a the new sheet to the edge and live with the bump, or perhaps you could build out a new edge on top of the rounded one. Laminate is pretty thin.

You can also have the countertops removed and new ones installed, keeping the cabinets.

We have a shop near us that makes custom kitchen tables and dinettes; you can get them done in laminate. I'd talk to someone like this about what you are looking for and get ideas and an estimate.

Yes, my dh did it in our rental house and it came out beautifully. It was a bit of work though. We chose to do it because the counter was in excellent shape, just not the right color scheme for the room once it was done-over. And, unfortunately, none of the new laminates available were exactly what we wanted. (Drat!) It was not in a kitchen and doesn't endure a lot of wear and tear.

The process involved sanding down the laminate, spray painted a couple coats, and then clear-coating it. I wouldn't do this if it was in a kitchen, as I don't think it would be durable enough there.

I haven't done it but I have seen it done several times on HGTV and they say it comes out very nice and is very inexpensive. You might take a look at their website. You can usually find things they have done there and they tell you more about it and may have a video.

I thought of that, but DH says the countertops are in too bad a shape (some buckling and some peeling) to even bother.

We are not sure what to do about our countertops. In our area/neighborhood you really need quartz or granite to sell but we keep going back and forth about selling.

Dawn

No, I have never done it. I manage property and I did a walk through last week at a house where the tenant had recently painted the counters, I believe she said it was a Rustoleum product? It looked fantastic. She had used a light grey and it had a semi smooth finish, much improved from the way it had looked before. Normally, I would advise against it because it is pretty inexpensive to just replace but she spent next to nothing and it looks fantastic. I don't know about how long it will last. If it lasts a year it will be worth it!

I did. It was in a kitchen and has lasted 5-6 years so far.

I used a counter top primer, rolled on a base coat, and speckled (with the end of a cheap brush) two or three other colors. I topped it off with two coats of oil-based, floor polyurethane. It was fun.

If you don't get too close, it looks like granite. :001_smile:

I want pictures!

I did. It was in a kitchen and has lasted 5-6 years so far.

I used a counter top primer, rolled on a base coat, and speckled (with the end of a cheap brush) two or three other colors. I topped it off with two coats of oil-based, floor polyurethane. It was fun.

If you don't get too close, it looks like granite. :001_smile:

I have painted kitchen countertops for a family member. It turned out beautifully, but didn't last. It started to chip. You could probably counteract that by resealing the countertop periodically with polyurethane. This person didn't do that. I just primed and used acrylic paint and polyurethane. You should probably study some different slabs of granite before you start so that you have some idea of the patterns that you could make with the sponges.

I just yesterday did my bathroom countertop with the Rustoleum product. It's still drying, but so far, I'm really pleased. I wouldn't necessarily use it on kitchen counters, but to cover up the nation's ugliest bathroom surface (rusty-orange laminate with a faux-leather texturing), it was inexpensive and worthwhile.

It is very, very fumy (that is so a word!), so if you use it, make sure you have adequate ventilation. I had an open window, an extraction fan, and two air cleaners, and it was still oppressive.