Menu

Upper Level Phonics with Webster's, with spelling rules, now easier!!

ElizabethB

I've made a checklist/progress chart that makes it very simple to work through upper level phonics skills and progress through Webster to the 12th grade level.

If you have a child who has completed a standard phonics program, you can just read and spell a few words from each unit in the Blend Phonics Reader and learn the associated spelling rules and syllable division rules and exercises and quickly move through the first portions. You should be able to skip a lot of things in the Blend Phonics guide, just teaching the spelling rules and things about syllables.

(Eventually, I hope to make this its own page with its own streamlined guide, but this is what I have for now.)

You will substitute #12, the Webster's Speller Excerpts, for #10, the full Webster's Speller. The Webster's Speller Excerpts has the syllabary then a set of words and a reading selection progressing from 4th to 12th grade level.

The sample schedule is for a remedial student with guessing habits, you should be able to work through this in a few hours with a well trained phonics student. (Although I would not do it all at once, especially after a summer break, unless your child really likes words and spelling!)

You will need the links at the end of my how to tutor page, but you can skip the MWIA if you want and only use the NRRF grade level test. Also, the phonics concentration game is optional for a non-remedial student.

So, you will be reading and spelling just a few words from each Blend Phonics unit. You should do the associated spelling rules and syllable division exercises. (The order is laid out in the checklist/progress chart, #11.)

If your child is reading at or above the 4th grade level on the NRRF, you can also do just a few lines of words and a few sentences from some of the earlier Webster's Speller grade levels. Make sure you have them read at least a few of the archaic words like li-my and tricky words like ce-dar and ci-der and gi-ant.

(If your child is reading above 6th grade level, you can take the test at the end of my testing page to determine grade level.)

You can also do a before and after spelling grade level test.

Edited by ElizabethB

Perhaps I am missing something, but I only see 10 numbered links on that page. :confused: The last link is #10, Webster's Speller.

You must have an old page cached. Try refreshing the page. The old page did have 10, I just added the links yesterday. They didn't appear for me until I refreshed the page.

Elizabeth,

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for all of the work you are doing! I'm teaching my 4 1/2 year old twins and am using your lessons. Your website along with Don Potter's opened my eyes when I started trying to figure out how to teach my kids to read.

People are amazed at their progress!

Brenda

Elizabeth,

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for all of the work you are doing! I'm teaching my 4 1/2 year old twins and am using your lessons. Your website along with Don Potter's opened my eyes when I started trying to figure out how to teach my kids to read.

People are amazed at their progress!

Brenda

You're welcome! That's great!!

My daughter progressed like that...my son is still working on it, but he is progressing. He doesn't need as much repetition as some of my students, but he needs a lot. However, his math needs little repetition and his sister's math needs a lot. In fact, we just started our summer review a few weeks ago, my son does phonics 2X a week and my daughter does math 2X a week.

Edited by ElizabethB

Elizabeth, I'm using your phonics lessons with my DS10/rising 5th grader. His reading has improved in just the short time we've been watching your lessons. This mama is so appreciative of your generosity! Thank you!

You're welcome! I'm glad it's working!!

Looks good! I've been wondering how to get through the upper levels with the boys.

If you wait a few days (or weeks, it always takes longer than I think...) it should have its own page and be even more streamlined for a well taught phonics student. I'm working on streamlining the guide right now.

Edited by ElizabethB

Before finding your program I was at a loss as to help my now 6yr old how to read due to an impairment and was told not to expect much in reading for a while. Then I found your program on this board and have had so much success that I now plan to use your older student program with my oldest just to make sure there are no holes in her reading.

Thank you so much! I have a question - I'd like to take my 8yo through your new program. He is not a struggling reader, but he does need the work on higher level words.

My 9yo needs to work on speed / fluency. (He also reads below grade level.) We've been working on the 1908 speller Don Potter revised, would switching to your new program still give him enough practice? I assume we can do the new program and then go back and fill in any weak areas later with the full book. Also, we are currently doing SWR - how much should he spell from Websters? How do I encourage him to see the patterns in Websters? (He's not really a visual speller, though we've tried working on visualization techniques.)

Thanks again for the good work you do.

:hurray:Great stuff:)

Thanks!

Before finding your program I was at a loss as to help my now 6yr old how to read due to an impairment and was told not to expect much in reading for a while. Then I found your program on this board and have had so much success that I now plan to use your older student program with my oldest just to make sure there are no holes in her reading.

That's awesome!! :hurray::hurray:

Thank you!!!

You're welcome!

Thank you so much! I have a question - I'd like to take my 8yo through your new program. He is not a struggling reader, but he does need the work on higher level words.

My 9yo needs to work on speed / fluency. (He also reads below grade level.) We've been working on the 1908 speller Don Potter revised, would switching to your new program still give him enough practice? I assume we can do the new program and then go back and fill in any weak areas later with the full book. Also, we are currently doing SWR - how much should he spell from Websters? How do I encourage him to see the patterns in Websters? (He's not really a visual speller, though we've tried working on visualization techniques.)

Thanks again for the good work you do.

You're welcome!

This basically adds in spelling rules and syllable division exercises to Blend Phonics and introduces syllables, then goes through 8 pages, 1 page per grade level 4 - 12, of Webster's Speller.

So, with your 9 yo, all you would need to do is go back and do the spelling rules and syllable division exercises and then continue with what you're doing with Webster. Or, you could try the excerpted grade level passages and then move to the regular 1908 when you start to get to a section that is challenging.

I would also have your 9yo spell a few words from each section in Webster's Speller, but if the SWR is working well for spelling and Webster's isn't I would use SWR primarily for spelling.

Thank you! Today is the first day of school and I'm determined to run my 6yo through this. She reads fairly well, but often struggles with larger words (as I would expect). She wants to read other books, but wants it to be easy and I want it to be easy for her. I tested her with the NRRF today and she stopped at the 4th block. Would this be good for her even at 6?

Thank you! Today is the first day of school and I'm determined to run my 6yo through this. She reads fairly well, but often struggles with larger words (as I would expect). She wants to read other books, but wants it to be easy and I want it to be easy for her. I tested her with the NRRF today and she stopped at the 4th block. Would this be good for her even at 6?

Yes. My daughter worked through the 2 and 3 syllable words at 5 and the 3+ syllable words at 6. The schwa/accent pattern grouping of Webster is especially helpful for a young child or an ELL student, it helps them grasp how to pronounce multi-syllable words they have not heard.

Some of the spelling rules may go over her head, but you can just mention them briefly. She should be able to do the syllable division exercises, although more help may be needed at first.

Yes. My daughter worked through the 2 and 3 syllable words at 5 and the 3+ syllable words at 6. The schwa/accent pattern grouping of Webster is especially helpful for a young child or an ELL student, it helps them grasp how to pronounce multi-syllable words they have not heard.

Some of the spelling rules may go over her head, but you can just mention them briefly. She should be able to do the syllable division exercises, although more help may be needed at first.

Awesome! Im not worried about spelling rules as much because we are going to do AAS too. I just want to make those bigger words more accessible to her.

Thanks so much!