Menu

"It's, like, a city of tattooed people!"

So, I took my 5yo to lunch in a hipster neighborhood today. It was super hot, so lots of folks were in tank tops and sundresses. My daughter was very impressed with how crowded the restaurant was, and chattered for quite some time about it. But, as you know from the title of the thread, the money quote was when she enthused,

"It's, like, a city of tattooed people here!"

Got a belly laugh from me. I, for one, have always had a soft spot for counter-culture, and when I moved to Chicago in 1992, tattoos were kind of cool and intriguing to me. Twenty years later, when--as observed by my daughter--it's not uncommon to find yourself in spots where easily one in three people are inked up, they just tend to blend into a sea of mainstream "meh." I feel kind of silly saying this, but I miss the old days!

Hey! I was in Chicago yesterday!!! And, we saw a lot of very tattoed people. I wasn't sure if it was a lot more people getting tattoos or if it was just that people were more exposed. It was HOT!!!!!

We had such a nice day!!! Church downtown. Chicago style pizza for lunch. american Girl store for dd. A walk down the Magnificent Mile. Dinner at Weber Grill. MAD dash to the train back to my parents' house!!!! I'm exhausted!!!

Did you come in for the Taste? Which church? (And I hope you had Lou Malnatti's for lunch!)

Would you believe we didn't??? We go to Chicago a few times a year. It's a quick train trip from my parents' house. I want to take the entire family for a week or so next year. I'll need suggestions!!!

We went to the Church of the Ascension.

I'm not sure about lunch. We were in Water Tower Place (we needed the AC!!!) and got Chicago style pizza. My dd was very disappointed. She really likes thin crust. Silly girl! At least she tried it!!!

I got my one, and only, tattoo in Chicago in 1995 :001_smile:. Our tattoo artist friend was living there, at the time. We went to the Green Mill for celebratory cocktails afterwards.

I was in Chicago for an American Girl Place whirlwind trip last Thursday!

I got my one, and only, tattoo in Chicago in 1995 :001_smile:. Our tattoo artist friend was living there, at the time. We went to the Green Mill for celebratory cocktails afterwards.

I was in Chicago for an American Girl Place whirlwind trip last Thursday!

The Green Mill is in my 'hood. :001_smile: Did you get your tattoo in Uptown on Broadway (can't remember the name of the place)

My son was about the same age when he saw a heavily tatooed, giant of a man. I was slightly intimidated, but my son looked straight in his eyes and enthused "wow, you're really colorful!" This gentleman sweetly replied that it was one of the kindest compliements he had ever received. I learned a lesson that day.

My son was about the same age when he saw a heavily tatooed, giant of a man. I was slightly intimidated, but my son looked straight in his eyes and enthused "wow, you're really colorful!" This gentleman sweetly replied that it was one of the kindest compliements he had ever received. I learned a lesson that day.

When my son was 9 he saw someone who was heavily pierced. He just stared for a while....and I thought we were good to go...when he mumbled to himself, "maybe he fell into a bucket of nails.". OY!!!

My boys are obsessed with tattoos. When we go to NYC, it's absolutely impossible to keep them from pointing out, talking and asking about tattoos they see. I have to confiscate the cameras. :tongue_smilie:

Gotta love it! And most everyone's tattoos have a story connected.

When my son was 9 he saw someone who was heavily pierced. He just stared for a while....and I thought we were good to go...when he mumbled to himself, "maybe he fell into a bucket of nails.". OY!!!

:lol: Now that is probably the funniest kid comment I've heard about body modifications.

I was in the Bucktown and Wicker Park neighborhoods this weekend (ate at Bento Box) and noticed the same thing -- tatoos everywhere! I love those areas, though.

Jennifer, you might want to visit those two neighborhoods as well as parts of Lincoln Park. Very creative and fun. You would want to know where to go, though.

I think that for the younger crowd (maybe 30 and under?) that tattoos are just no big deal anymore. Every other person has them. I have decided that the pendulum has just swung the other way and 'different' is the new normal. I'm not sure WHAT legitimately 'different' folks are doing these days, but with tattoos and piercings going mainstream it's got to be something else.