Menu

PVC Pipe for kids who love building

Can you tell me what sizes you use, where you get them, and how you keep them connected?

I first heard about giving your building loving kids pvc pipes cut at different lengths to build with on here. But no one said if they glue the pipes together with the joints or if you re-use them. If you reuse them, how do you get them to stay together? I asked my Papa and he suggested drilling a hole in the joints and pipes and ds could screw them together and then take them apart as needed. We're thinking of doing this for ds's 6th birthday. Any BTDT advice? TIA!

We've used 1/2 inch diameter PVC pipes. I think a bundle of 10 pipes, each 10 feet long, was $18 at Home Depot. You can use a handsaw to cut them to a bunch of different lengths. We also picked up a bunch of different joints (T-joints, angled joints, etc.) for about 10 cents a piece (I think).

The pipes and joints fit together pretty snugly, so everything usually stays together, especially if the structure is well-engineered. :D If you want a structure to be permanent or to be sturdy enough to climb on, you'll need to glue the pipes together. We've used PVC pipe cement, but it's nasty stuff, so I wouldn't let a kid use it.

If you can find it, Steve Caney's Ultimate Building Book is excellent. Lots of building projects using all different kinds of materials, including PVC pipes. We used the book to build a PVC pipe greenhouse :)

We've used 1/2 inch diameter PVC pipes. I think a bundle of 10 pipes, each 10 feet long, was $18 at Home Depot. You can use a handsaw to cut them to a bunch of different lengths. We also picked up a bunch of different joints (T-joints, angled joints, etc.) for about 10 cents a piece (I think).

The pipes and joints fit together pretty snugly, so everything usually stays together, especially if the structure is well-engineered. :D If you want a structure to be permanent or to be sturdy enough to climb on, you'll need to glue the pipes together. We've used PVC pipe cement, but it's nasty stuff, so I wouldn't let a kid use it.

If you can find it, Steve Caney's Ultimate Building Book is excellent. Lots of building projects using all different kinds of materials, including PVC pipes. We used the book to build a PVC pipe greenhouse :)

That's good to know. My Papa didn't think they would.

I agree with all of this, although I bought 1" PVC. As it gets wider in diameter, it gets more rigid and much more stable for kids' constructions. I wouldn't try to make anything permanent. Part of the beauty of the PVC as a toy is the ability to constantly come up with new creations. My kids made a puppet theater, a regular theater big enough for them, playhouses, a car wash, showers (I used a Dremel tool to drill holes in some pieces and you can get hose fittings for the PVC...totally worth the extra $).

When we moved, we accidentally left our PVC stash behind our fence (where it was hidden because of house showings) but we still have our giant assortment of fittings (this is the pricey part, but you can save money by buying builders bags in quantities of 10). I think when the weather cools off, I'll go buy more PVC. Thanks for the reminder. :D

That's good to know. My Papa didn't think they would.

Well, on this... They do fit together snugly. In fact, some of our fittings were nearly impossible to remove from the pipes after a bit of time in the weather (DH had to use all his might to get some off and I knocked a few fittings off only by chucking them into the side of the sandbox, but I digress :lol:). However, I wouldn't think of the PVC as something for building climbing structures or anything like that. You're not looking for stability so much as playability, if that makes sense.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Oh, and I was going to agree that you can use a handsaw but a PVC cutter is reasonably inexpensive (less than $10, I think?) and for the amount of cutting you are likely to be doing, totally worth it. The cuts are smoother than what you will get with a saw and since these are for little kids, you want them to be very smooth.

ETA: And sorry. I got all the stuff at Home Depot and Lowe's. There are PVC places online that sell some very interesting fittings though. I'll probably buy some down the road.

Can you tell me what sizes you use, where you get them, and how you keep them connected?

I first heard about giving your building loving kids pvc pipes cut at different lengths to build with on here. But no one said if they glue the pipes together with the joints or if you re-use them. If you reuse them, how do you get them to stay together? I asked my Papa and he suggested drilling a hole in the joints and pipes and ds could screw them together and then take them apart as needed. We're thinking of doing this for ds's 6th birthday. Any BTDT advice? TIA!

Get the 1/2 inch pipes, the little joiny and elbowy pieces, and a PVC pipe cutter tool. The tool is cheap and makes it sooooooo easy to cut the pipe. It looks kind of like a wrench, but you put the pipe in and squeeze a few times. I once used it to make about 20 marshmallow shooters and it was easy.

Make this!

f97c691b.jpg

And this!

05c4d9e0.jpg

Edited by KungFuPanda

Well, on this... They do fit together snugly. In fact, some of our fittings were nearly impossible to remove from the pipes after a bit of time in the weather (DH had to use all his might to get some off and I knocked a few fittings off only by chucking them into the side of the sandbox, but I digress :lol:). However, I wouldn't think of the PVC as something for building climbing structures or anything like that. You're not looking for stability so much as playability, if that makes sense.

I wasn't looking for a play structure, just something for ds to make his "contraptions" life-size. I thought it could also be a good way to teach geometry in time. He's a very hands-on learner.

Oh, and I was going to agree that you can use a handsaw but a PVC cutter is reasonably inexpensive (less than $10, I think?) and for the amount of cutting you are likely to be doing, totally worth it. The cuts are smoother than what you will get with a saw and since these are for little kids, you want them to be very smooth.

That is a good idea, thank you. I was thinking about having them cut at Home Depot, or do they only cut wood for you?

Oh, a PVC cutter would be great!

I was thinking about having them cut at Home Depot, or do they only cut wood for you?

The guy at my Lowe's would not cut them. He said something about the policy being not to cut PVC because people want to return it if it's the wrong size. :confused: I was annoyed, to say the least. In the end though, it worked out because I bought a ton of PVC and made so many cuts it would have been impractical to expect him to do it. I cut a range of sizes, from 1' lengths to retaining a few of the 10' pieces. The PVC cutter makes it a breeze though.

The guy at my Lowe's would not cut them. He said something about the policy being not to cut PVC because people want to return it if it's the wrong size. :confused: I was annoyed, to say the least. In the end though, it worked out because I bought a ton of PVC and made so many cuts it would have been impractical to expect him to do it. I cut a range of sizes, from 1' lengths to retaining a few of the 10' pieces. The PVC cutter makes it a breeze though.

Good to know, thank you!

And the pictures are great! My dollar store has those foam noodles, I'll get some!

I love this idea!

Get the 1/2 inch pipes, the little joiny and elbowy pieces, and a PVC pipe cutter tool. The tool is cheap and makes it sooooooo easy to cut the pipe. It looks kind of like a wrench, but you put the pipe in and squeeze a few times. I once used it to make about 20 marshmallow shooters and it was easy.

Make this!

f97c691b.jpg

And this!

05c4d9e0.jpg

That is WAY cool!!!! Did you guys make that?! What are the yellow things and the flippy car-wash looking things and how did you attach them?

That is WAY cool!!!! Did you guys make that?! What are the yellow things and the flippy car-wash looking things and how did you attach them?

No, but a friend did for a birthday party. This photo is from the plans on FamilyFun.com. Just search PVC kid wash.

Ok, hate to be Debby Downer...just started wondering if PVC piping is safe for kids to play with? I know there is concern with PVC in toys (phthalates, but those are softeners that I wouldn't think would be in the piping?). And it's damaging to the environment (so I don't like being a part of that). But I can't find much that convinces me either way that piping is ok or not for my kids to build with. Here is one short video, but it seems to have confused me more!

http://www.monkeysee.com/play/11339-is-pvc-piping-dangerous

Anyone have other links or information?

I was super-excited about this until I started wondering about the safety of it. Hoping it's safe!

Make this!

f97c691b.jpg

And this!

05c4d9e0.jpg

How COOL!!!!!! My girls would LOVE to do this! I hope I remember to get this as a Christmas gift. This year I am focusing on things the girls and I can do together like crocheting, sewing, knitting, clay beads, jewelry making supplies, etc.. They will LOVE getting busy with PVC!!! And dd9 especially loves to run through sprinklers. We can make our own little water park!

I want to get some larger pipes to construct a crawl through p,ay yard for our ferrets!

Ok, hate to be Debby Downer...just started wondering if PVC piping is safe for kids to play with? I know there is concern with PVC in toys (phthalates, but those are softeners that I wouldn't think would be in the piping?). And it's damaging to the environment (so I don't like being a part of that). But I can't find much that convinces me either way that piping is ok or not for my kids to build with. Here is one short video, but it seems to have confused me more!

http://www.monkeysee.com/play/11339-is-pvc-piping-dangerous

Anyone have other links or information?

I was super-excited about this until I started wondering about the safety of it. Hoping it's safe!

It is concerning. I will say that once the kids build a structure (and drape it with sheets or silk, start running through it with their scooters, whatever...), the handling of it is minimal compared to the time they spend using the structure after it's built. I do not let them drink out of the carwash or shower...or the hose for that matter. :tongue_smilie:

Another wonderful building idea for the creative child is Builder Boards. This is a significantly larger investment, however, in both time and money. The options are not quite as plentiful but it has the benefit of being a natural material.

Another wonderful building idea for the creative child is Builder Boards. This is a significantly larger investment, however, in both time and money. The options are not quite as plentiful but it has the benefit of being a natural material.

I think I'm in love. That is totally amazing!

Btw Rainbow Resource sells two of the Makedo kits that allow a kid to safely cut, pierce, and attach cardboard boxes. Their prices are good. The Makedo website has a bunch of project specific kits, and RR only has the generic one, but I think it's an idea.