Menu

Multi-vitamin

Dr. wants me to start taking a multi-vitamin. I've bought Centrum complete in the past, but that big pill is hard on my tummy. Twice I actually passed the pill and well that can't be useful.

So, I'm open to suggestions from the Hive. What multi-vitamin do you take? I'm fine with ordering something online, if necessary.

How would you do about taking more than one a day for a full dose? I'm not sure if that was why, but I had one that I took a.m. and p.m. and it didn't bother me. I found I just had to eat a little with them.

Right now, I take one with a full dose of 6 tabs spaced throughout the day, but I usually only get in three. (And for me, that's been fine.)

My doctor recommends Integrative Therapeutics Daily Energy Enfusion. He says the berry flavor is most popular, but I like the citrus. I order it from Amazon.

I also liked the Rainbow Light Women's Organic (herbal formula), but I was having a weirdly high hematocrit (which my former doctor didn't seem to notice), so I stopped taking it because of the iron content.

I have to take my supplements with food or a protein drink or something. There's no way I can handle them on an empty stomach.

As far as multivitamins go, here's some info. Hope that it helps. I do believe that most of us are lacking in minerals (particularly magnesium) and that we need to focus on that also.

WHAT I LIKE TO AVOID

Many “one-a-day†formulas - Theragram-M, Geritol, Centrum usually:

• Have such long ingredient lists (a red flag for me!) with synthetic coloring, waxes, and other undesirable ingredients – this is my main reason for avoiding them

• Are too low in potency – most one-a-day formulas cannot possibly give you high enough potencies of nutrients. There simply isn’t enough room to pack a lot of nutrients into a single capsule. Do be aware that a good multivitamin and mineral formula requires that you take it in larger quantities – from 3-6 capsules daily. This may seem like a lot, but it’s not. When it comes to herbs, and often minerals and vitamins, most of the time, the quantity and potency is so very, very low, that it really isn’t going to do anything much at all. I prefer to research all the brands and see which has the highest dosage, or I have found that I may need to double or triple the dose. I have to admit that due to financial constraints, I seldom do this these days, unless I'm focusing on a specific health concern. I do believe that nutrition (healthy diet) is first and foremost.

• Are often poorly absorbed

Anything that is multi-marketed. Supplements from multi-marketed companies are obviously going to cost much more. The supplements may be good, but remember that you’re paying for a wealth system that may play on people’s greed.

Any supplement (usually they are minerals) that has the word “oxideâ€. The oxide form of any is the cheapest source of that mineral. Most of the cheaper brands include oxide to cut down on costs, but these brands do our bodies no good, since they’re barely absorbed.

Any supplement that has vitamin E as dl-alpha – dl-alpha is synthetic and junk.

Any supplement that has calcium carbonate – ditto, as above

Most brands at Walmart, Costco, etc. But this doesn’t always apply. Some brands at these larger stores are fine. You'll have to do your own research to know. Just because the supplement is sold at Walmart or Costco does not that it’s necessarily bad. You need to look at the ingredients.

are the same.

WHAT I PREFER

Bio-available when possible – these are best absorbed. Many bio-available forms are patented and identified on the label.

Anything with a short ingredient list – no soybean oil, no sugar, starches, colorings, soy, etc. – the less things in it, the better! With vitacost, you can click on side bar buttons to say that you're looking for something without soy, etc.

MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE – IF I COULD

If I lived in the U.S., I would try my utmost to get as much as I could from Standard Process - which you have to buy from an alternatiave health care practitioner. Standard Process is wonderful. But they don't have every single supplement. They're very specialized.

ALKALIZING MULTI VITAMINS AND MINERAL SUPPLEMENTS

Most of us have systems that are overly acidic. Working towards a system that is balanced or more alkaline is the key to overall health. These supplements are said to be very good for alkalizing the body.

• http://www.auntiegs.com/index.php

12 Systems Synergistic Multiple – one tablet per meal

• Vita Lea (Shaklee) – one tablet with each meal

• Bio Strath – One teaspoon with each meal or tablet as indicated – I saw it on vitacost

AFTER THAT

I prefer searching for good brands on vitacost or amazon – reading reviews, and looking at brands. The following are brands that I like and trust:

Carlson’s

Nature’s Way

Twin Labs

KAL

Enzymatic Therapy

Green Magma – for green, alkalizing drink

Solgar

Source Naturals

Rainbow Light

Solaray

NOW

Swanson

UniKey (do a google search)

New Chapter Organics

Brands I've heard good things about, but have not yet tried, and don’t yet know enough about:

Aerobic Life Products

Blue-Green Algae

Country Life

Darwin’s

Gaia Herbs

Health from the Sun

Jarrow

Kyo-Green

Member’s Mark

Metagenics

Nature’s Plus

Nature’s Sunshine