Menu

Higher Altitudes

Ds and Dh leave early tomorrow morning (5 am) for a camp in the Rocky mountains. Any tips for them to handle the altitude? I'm a bit concerned about ds and nosebleeds (he gets them due to allergies). Do you think he'd be more prone to nosebleeds at a higher altitude?

Probably. I had more frequent nosebleeds when I moved from Oregon to Utah for college. They weren't bad nosebleeds, but I never really had nosebleeds in Oregon.

Maybe. My son got several big ones on our visit to Yellowstone a couple weeks ago, the biggest of which was after a big hike up to 10,000 feet and back down again. It was also hot and dry so I'm not 100% sure it was altitude, but it could have been part of it. We live at sea level so any altitude is a bit of an adjustment for us, on day 2 we had to stop in town and buy a box of kleenex that we took with us everywhere. My only tip would be to try to take it slow the first few days if it is a multi-day trip and bring lots of tissues and water...

Edited by jar7709

Could be. Saline spray is a must to keep the nostril moist and drinking LOTS of water too. We live at 8500 feet and I find that when I go to sea level and then return, I still get headaches and a stuffy nose plus an less energetic. Youth surely are less likely to feel the weight but the dryness and hydration are issues for all.

Could be. Saline spray is a must to keep the nostril moist and drinking LOTS of water too. We live at 8500 feet and I find that when I go to sea level and then return, I still get headaches and a stuffy nose plus an less energetic. Youth surely are less likely to feel the weight but the dryness and hydration are issues for all.

This.

Drink lots of water and use a saline nosespray to keep the nostrils moist. WHen I say lots of water, I'm thinking a gallon a day or more. Especially of you're from a lower and moister area.

Two tips:

(1) if anyone is anemic/having low iron, I'd be sure to supplement ahead of the trip.

(2) for that weird dizzy feeling, water may not be enough. Gatorade has magical properties at altitude. I'm not kidding - it makes a *huge* difference for me when I feel like that (we live at 6500 ft but very frequently go to 9900 ft). If the dh has glucose issues, there is a gatorade that is sugar-free or low sugar or something. Gatorade - don't leave home without it.

(3) if anyone has asthma issues of any kind, do not forget the inhalers, both short-acting and any steroid.

(4) expect a few nights of bad sleep.

Two tips:

(1) if anyone is anemic/having low iron, I'd be sure to supplement ahead of the trip.

(2) for that weird dizzy feeling, water may not be enough. Gatorade has magical properties at altitude. I'm not kidding - it makes a *huge* difference for me when I feel like that (we live at 6500 ft but very frequently go to 9900 ft). If the dh has glucose issues, there is a gatorade that is sugar-free or low sugar or something. Gatorade - don't leave home without it.

(3) if anyone has asthma issues of any kind, do not forget the inhalers, both short-acting and any steroid.

(4) expect a few nights of bad sleep.

:iagree:

I live at 7,000 feet and would recommend drinking lots and lots of water, and Gatorade if necessary. I've had several visitors who were very tired the first few days of their visit.

yes to the liquids! And tell them if they feel ill, dizzy, weak, etc, to take it seriously and slow down, rest or whatever. And to take the other person seriously if one feels ill and the other doesn't. We found out I don't deal well with high altitude. Everyone else in the family seems unaffected. But, wow, did it throw me for a loop. Fortunately we were visiting friends in Denver and they spotted the signs and took good care of me.

Drink much more water than you think you need....really. And then drink some more. :) (In case you haven't picked up the theme- LOL, its all about fluids) Make sure you arrive @ altitude fully hydrated, don't just start when you get here.

When we first moved here to CO, I would get nasty headaches, lethargy & loss of appetite when we went up to 10,000ft. Then I learned about drinking a ton of water BEFORE going up higher, and wow what a difference. :) I attended a weekend retreat in Breckenridge and didn't have a single issue.