Menu

DH & I have made a HUGE decision; pls don't read if putting kids in school upsets u

Have to say, I think that if you're doing Highschool... it's easier to give them a year or so to ramp up to Public School... for 9th.... (not in terms of how hard it is... rather just get going as far as independence :))

Also, Public School is where my daughter is... it's not what I wanted, but our relationship is much better.

Good Luck!! :)

:grouphug:I'll just support you, as I never want to be one of those negative people who question and second guess a parent, that is doing what they feel is best for their child. I’m glad you have peace in your heart too. It’s never easy making these big decisions for our growing children. Eight grade seems to be a pivotal year for many of us, when some big decisions (often changes) need to be made; and they’re never easy on a mommy-heart.:grouphug:

My kids have all done well in their transitions to school settings. (One goes to public, two to private)

I would still homeschool if that was an option for me; but I'd still outsource math and science after 8th grade.

I understand your decision and support it.

Since you have already raised two successful women, I cannot imagine that you don't know what you are doing. I hope it all goes fabulously. And, if not, I am sure you have plans B and C.

I know what you mean. Dh and I agonized for months about what to do with ds1. We finally sent him off to private school for 9th. It really was a good thing; not just for him but for our whole family. Ds2 went part-time the next year then full-time last year. It's been good for him as well. I still have dd at home and that's plenty enough challenge for me.

I hope you all have a smooth transition.

Awesome Mariann!!!! It must be a relief to have the decision part done.

Absolutely NO issues from me! You are an awesome momma!

:iagree:

I can understand. Sometimes it really is just better for kids to go to a brick and mortar school. It rankles me when people have the authoritarian outlook of "well you have to do what I say because you're <insert age> and we know what is best for you." No, like it or not, we don't always know what is best. That is why it takes a lot of thought, prayer (if you are religious), consulting, balancing pros and cons. Sometimes what is best is something we don't like personally but may not cause any harm in the long run.

A friend of mine pulled her daughter out of brick and mortar school and enrolled her in K12 ("free" charter here) for 4th grade. Talk about misery for both. Daughter HATED not being with friends, HATED her mom as her teacher. My friend tried so hard to make it work but in the end, for 5th grade up to now, she was sent back to brick and mortar. Things are a lot more peaceful in the home now. It happens, and I'm sure you didn't come about this decision lightly.

I don't know if homeschooling is best for my son, but I am doing it. I re-evaluated if I was going to do it again this year, and it looks like it is still a good fit for my son. Again though, I will do this every year. It isn't necessarily the end of the world if a child has to go to brick and mortar school.

Finally, now I have more time with you Mom!

I'm sure you didn't make that decision lightly.

Isn't it great that we're empowered to recognize that? It makes the whole school experience different, understanding that we have a choice.

I hope she settles down quickly and happily.

That's great that you made a decision for your family and situation, no one else has a right to be upset over that!

We did the same thing with dd and it worked out beautifully. She's now at a private high school and thriving.

We are taking the plunge this school year as well. Of course, I am a bit nervous but we felt we could not pass up the opportunity for this particular school. I am already making plans to do afterschool or weekend school lite:D I am also prepping ds extensively on bullying, etc. so that he knows what to do. I figure we won't know till we try I will keep close tabs on him and keep the lines of communication open.

That, and telling your homeschooling friends.

The above is all that matters. I hope you both have a great year.

I am glad for you that you have peace over this decision and that your daughter is happy about it because that is all that really matters.

Mariann,

In the relatively short time I've been on this forum you have impressed me as a very caring person. You've shown much grace to others and I'm certain that gracious and caring attitude will be extended to you as well. You and your family have made a very difficult decision and now that the decision has been made and you have found peace with it, take a deep breath and go relax at the pool and ask that cabana boy for cold, creamy beverage:)

No, they're not. They're very personal aren't they? Almost like the decision to have a baby. No one has the right to tell you to do it, and no one has the right to tell you not to do it. And really, once the decision has been made, all you really need is a :grouphug:, and for someone to say, "I'm so happy for you guys."

I'm so glad you guys have a plan for next year that makes everyone involved happy. That's so rare in families, and it sounds like a huge load off your shoulders!

Blessings!

Dorinda

Remember the 'discreet' cartoon eye rolls. lol

You've got to do what works for you and your family. Well done for making a decision it can't have been easy.

No flames here, Mariann -- I'm confident that you made the best possible decision for your family.

Have to say, I think that if you're doing Highschool... it's easier to give them a year or so to ramp up to Public School... for 9th.... (not in terms of how hard it is... rather just get going as far as independence :))

Also, Public School is where my daughter is... it's not what I wanted, but our relationship is much better.

Good Luck!! :)

:iagree:

Whatever you choose to do is the right thing!

I'll just support you, as I never want to be one of those negative people who question and second guess a parent, that is doing what they feel is best for their child. I’m glad you have peace in your heart too. It’s never easy making these big decisions for our growing children. Eight grade seems to be a pivotal year for many of us, when some big decisions (often changes) need to be made; and they’re never easy on a mommy-heart.

My kids have all done well in their transitions to school settings. (One goes to public, two to private)

I would still homeschool if that was an option for me; but I'd still outsource math and science after 8th grade.

I understand your decision and support it.

Thank you all so very much! I would love to write individual comments to everyone but we have doctor's appointments - dd11 appears to have an ear infection,and dd13 is still running that darn fever so as long as i am making the trip with one, i will make the trip with two. You all have been a huge help with your support - it's funny, but a few of my local homeschooling friends are not going to be supportive at all -- so i am thankful for your wise words and edification. I can't use any smileys b/c i am sure there are already 8 of them up there. i know that the twins are nowhere ready for a brick and mortar school but they are the two i would love to farm out, iykwim. dd13 is my dream student - she is an absolute pleasure to have at home and to spend time with -- the twins are a challenge. She has been to private school and she is looking forward to going to school -- and my ears and eyes open. if she is unhappy and doesn't adjust, well, then we will explore other options. Thank you all again --(((hugs)))

Edited by MariannNOVA

After living next door to you this week and seeing DC traffic first hand.... I can definitely see why you would not want to do the drive!

Your dd is intelligent and mature she will do GREAT!! :grouphug:

Thank you -- She folds towels really well, too, doesn't she?:lol::lol::lol:

My kids are going to be crestfallen tomorrow when you guys leave -- i am going to be crestfallen. :crying:

Your family is beautiful and delightful and i wish you could be here for so much longer!

And, yes, some folks don't understand the traffic here (my sister thinks they have traffic in the sleepy little town she lives in in south jersey :glare:).

I don't have four hours a day to spend on the road if i am homeschooling the twins--and around here, the drive time always has to be factored in.

must run -- both girls have doctor's s appointments (E's ear hurts and M's feveris still going up and down) -- must allow an hour to drive 14 miles b/c there is no way of knowing what the traffic will be --:glare:

((((hugs))) Pizza tonight -- we can all go over there together, ok?:grouphug:

I don't know why YOU deciding to put YOUR CHILD in school should upset anyone, but go figure.

Glad that you've found a solution to suit your family's dynamics.

Like you said, if it doesn't work, you can always bring her home.

:iagree: Not a single soul on here has the right to flame you or shred you because you are making a decision that works best for you, your child and your family. I am glad you found peace about it.