Menu

Easy, fast, make ahead cinnamon rolls?

On occassion my dd asks for cinnamon rolls for breakfast. I have been keeping the canned ones but I hate all the junk that is in them. When I look at make ahead recipes, they all seem to require thawing and letting them rise for an hour or more before baking. I would like to have them finished in 15 minutes or less if possible. If I make and fully cook a batch, they seem to dry out too much in the freezer so I was hoping for one that partially bakes, or that rises before freezing that I can just bake.

Am I asking for too much? Can anyone help me?

I can post a recipe later, but if you start with frozen bread dough rolls, mix up a quick carmel sauce and pour over it, you can bake them when you get up in the am. Just put it all in a bundt pan and let rise on the counter over night and bake upon rising. I usually refrigerate them overnight and then let rise again in the am, but the original recipe says to let sit on the counter overnight.

Fast means using frozen bread dough or biscuit dough. The best cinnamon rolls take time.

You could do a pull-apart bread. It tastes very similar to cinnamon rolls, but is faster. Take some cans of Pillsbury biscuits, cut them into thirds or quarters. Grease a bundt pan well and add a bit of sugar to coat it. Melt butter, then roll each piece of biscuit in melted butter, then in a cinnamon/sugar mixture, and place in the bundt pan. Bake until it is cooked, then turn it upside down onto a plate and eat it. You could do this with one can of biscuits and a pie tin instead of a bundt pan, and it would cook even faster.

I can post a recipe later, but if you start with frozen bread dough rolls, mix up a quick carmel sauce and pour over it, you can bake them when you get up in the am. Just put it all in a bundt pan and let rise on the counter over night and bake upon rising. I usually refrigerate them overnight and then let rise again in the am, but the original recipe says to let sit on the counter overnight.

Pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeee share this recipe!

Please share :)

I make Quiver's cinnamon rolls the night before, let them rise in the fridge overnight, and stick them in a cold oven in the morning to cook. While they bake, I make the yummy icing.

The only thing I do differently is that I don't let the dough rise twice. My Bosch does a good enough job that it isn't necessary, so I mix the dough, roll it out, spread with butter etc., slice it and put the rolls in the pan, cover, and stick the pan in the fridge.

Quiver’s Cinnamon Rolls

Dough:

1 T. Dry Yeast

1 Cup warm milk

1/3 C. white sugar

1/2 C. melted butter

1 tsp. salt

2 eggs

4 C. flour

Dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Knead into a ball. Let rise until double in size. When ready, roll out to about 1/4 inch thick. Spread with filling.

Filling:

1/4 C. butter, softened

1 C. brown sugar

3 T. cinnamon

Spread butter on dough evenly. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over dough evenly. Roll dough up. Slice roll into 1 inch slices. Place on a greased pan. Let rise again until doubled. bake 10 min. at 400 degrees.

Icing:

1/2 C. butter, softened

1 1/2 C. powdered sugar

1 oz. cream cheese

2 T. whipping cream

1 tsp. vanilla extract

pinch of salt

Beat until fluffy. When rolls are hot, spread lots of icing on them.

To make these the night before needed, skip the final rising step. Let rise overnight in the fridge. In the morning, bake!

To make slicing easier, I use dental floss. Just slip it under, criss cross and pull and you have nice, even slices.

Here you are! I promise they are delicious, but not a smack dab of healthy in them so we only make them on special occasions.

Caramel Breakfast Rolls

2 - 1# loaves frozen bread rolls ( if you use rolls, you won't have to thaw them first)

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1 large pkg regular vanilla pudding and pie filling ( Cook and Serve - NOT instant)

1/2 cup butter melted

1/4 cup milk or half and half

1/2 cup chopped nuts ( optional)

raisins (optional)

cut 1 loaf of dough into small pieces (or one pkg of rolls )and place in greased 9x13 pan or bundt pan

Combine brown sugar, pudding mix, butter and milk. Mix well.

Drizzle half of the mixture over dough pieces. Sprinkle with nuts and raisins if using them.

Repeat.

Cover and refrigerate over night. If using frozen bread rolls, you can leave on the counter overnight.

In the morning, remove from fridge and let raise an hour or so.

Bake at 325 for 40 - 45 mins.

Note: I made a half recipe in the bundt pan using only butter, brown sugar and cream and it was equally as good.

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/quickcinnamonrolls.htm

My children love these!

Quick Cinnamon Rolls

• 3-1/4 cups Biscuit Mix (homemade is fine)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup softened margarine
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar or Sucanat
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts, optional

In a large bowl combine the biscuit mix and milk. Mix the milk and biscuit mix together until you have a soft dough. Turn the dough out onto a large sheet of waxed paper. Knead the dough gently for few second. Pat the dough into a rectangular shape. Using a rolling pin or a heavy jar or glass, roll the dough out so that it is about half an inch thick. Try to keep it in a rectangular shape as you roll it out, this is a little challenging at first, but becomes very easy with practice.

Spread the margarine over the dough like spreading peanut butter on bread. Sprinkle on the brown sugar, breaking up any large lumps as you come across them. Scatter the cinnamon over the brown sugar. If you are using nuts, then sprinkle them on now too.

Now comes the part that takes a little skill. Lift up one side of the waxed paper and use it to help you roll up the dough like a jellyroll, with the filling on the inside of the roll. Pull back the waxed paper as you go so it doesn’t get inadvertently wrapped up in the roll. When the roll is nicely formed, use a sharp knife to cut it into about a dozen slices. I cut in the center first and then I cut each half in half again, making even quarters. Each quarter is then divided into 3 or 4 slices depending on how thick I want my cinnamon rolls to be. I prefer the rolls thicker rather than thinner.

Arrange the cinnamon rolls in well-greased muffin cups, or side by side in a well-greased 9 by 13-inch rectangular pan. If desired, squirt a little Pancake Syrup in the center of each cinnamon roll for flavor and stickiness. Bake the rolls at 400° for about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before eating. You may be tempted to eat them sooner, but if you do, you will burn the inside of your mouth. These are also good cold, and make good lunch box desserts.

Here you are! I promise they are delicious, but not a smack dab of healthy in them so we only make them on special occasions.

Caramel Breakfast Rolls

2 - 1# loaves frozen bread rolls ( if you use rolls, you won't have to thaw them first)

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1 large pkg regular vanilla pudding and pie filling ( Cook and Serve - NOT instant)

1/2 cup butter melted

1/4 cup milk or half and half

1/2 cup chopped nuts ( optional)

raisins (optional)

cut 1 loaf of dough into small pieces (or one pkg of rolls )and place in greased 9x13 pan or bundt pan

Combine brown sugar, pudding mix, butter and milk. Mix well.

Drizzle half of the mixture over dough pieces. Sprinkle with nuts and raisins if using them.

Repeat.

Cover and refrigerate over night. If using frozen bread rolls, you can leave on the counter overnight.

In the morning, remove from fridge and let raise an hour or so.

Bake at 325 for 40 - 45 mins.

Note: I made a half recipe in the bundt pan using only butter, brown sugar and cream and it was equally as good.

We love these! We use Rhodes Frozen Rolls. :D

What you need is a recipe for "No-Yeast Cinnamon Rolls"

Here is one online that is pretty close to what I used to use. What I love about these is she makes them in muffin tins - I never thought of that!

http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/03/22/no-yeast-cinnamon-rolls/

And these are really very sweet - you can serve them without any type of frosting or glaze if you want.

ETA: you can also make these up and freeze the rolls before baking if you want to cook just a few at a time....

Here is one online that is pretty close to what I used to use. What I love about these is she makes them in muffin tins - I never thought of that!

And these are really very sweet - you can serve them without any type of frosting or glaze if you want.

ETA: you can also make these up and freeze the rolls before baking if you want to cook just a few at a time....

Thank you! This is what I was asking for! And of course my grandmother used to make these all the time, I had just forgotten. She would also make a chocolate filling from cocoa powder instead of cinnamon. Yum!

I make Quiver's cinnamon rolls the night before, let them rise in the fridge overnight, and stick them in a cold oven in the morning to cook. While they bake, I make the yummy icing.

These are what I make on special occasions. I make night before and they are easy peasy the next morning. My family loves them!

Can the dough be frozen? If so, at what point would you freeze them? I would really like a recipe that can be partially made and frozen, so I could pull some out and make cinnamon rolls when we get a craving for them.

Edited by floridamom
fixed typo

These are so beautiful since they will actually get made at my house, thank you!

Can the dough be frozen? If so, at what point would you freeze them? I would really like a recipe that can be partially made and frozen, so I could pull some out and make cinnamon rolls when we get a craving for them.

Personally, I would bake them all the way and then freeze them.

Options:

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/7837/freezing-bread-dough