Menu

I see that igoogle is being discontinued soon

I"m disengaging from all but the most basic google stuff. They keep dropping stuff from the line up. The only things I"m keeping will be gmail and the blog. They are too much of a hassle to change.

I've been searching for a good start page this morning. Any suggestions for something simple that I can get weather and news and keep a to do list?

I saw that this morning too. :( I use it as my start page, and have a few news sites, weather, and some other things I like to check regularly. I don't know what I'm going to use because I like having one page access to so many things.

I did read recently that people don't use homepages like they once did. So what do they use as a start page? I know dh has his browser set to open up to the google search page, but that's not what I want.

I saw that this morning too. :( I use it as my start page, and have a few news sites, weather, and some other things I like to check regularly. I don't know what I'm going to use because I like having one page access to so many things.

I did read recently that people don't use homepages like they once did. So what do they use as a start page? I know dh has his browser set to open up to the google search page, but that's not what I want.

I know. I've seen the same thing looking for a start page. Seems Google and FB have taken over everything.

I use Netvibes as a start page. You can have weather, feeds from news sites, Facebook or Twitter, blogs, etc. You can make separate "pages" for different topics. I have pages for genealogy, books, video games, homeschooling, etc, where I can see the RSS feeds for various blogs/websites. On the main page I have weather, to do list, my Facebook feed, my email feed, and various post-it notes of things I need to remember.

I may be wrong, but I think my brother told me that you can customize the home page with Google Chrome. Not sure if you can do gadgets, etc. like iGoogle though.

I already have a theme applied to my Google Chrome and have added apps, but it's kind of lame and not equivalent to iGoogle IMHO. The biggest benefit of iGoogle is that you don't have to open separate applications but have them all on the screen in front of you at the same time.

I like what I've seen on the Netvibes site so far.

Edited by WordGirl

I may be wrong, but I think my brother told me that you can customize the home page with Google Chrome. Not sure if you can do gadgets, etc. like iGoogle though.

I like Firefox enough that I don't want to use Chrome just to have the homepage.

I did decide to go with Netvibes. I made it look almost exactly like my igoogle page was. I'll be helping dd change over tomorrow. Dh is setting his Netvibes page up momentarily.

I can't stand chrome. It won't let me edit my blog for some weird reason. Guess when Igoogle goes away will go back to using at&t yahoo until find something better. Will hang on til the last minute. We do have until mid 2013. I hate change!

I don't know if it was on my recommendation, but I'm glad some of you have tried Netvibes and are liking it. I've been using it for about 6 years, and they keep adding functionality, so I think it's still on the upswing and not dying. I hope it lasts a long time!

I already have a theme applied to my Google Chrome and have added apps, but it's kind of lame and not equivalent to iGoogle IMHO. The biggest benefit of iGoogle is that you don't have to open separate applications but have them all on the screen in front of you at the same time.

I like what I've seen on the Netvibes site so far.

This, exactly.

Well, I've been playing around with netvibes since reading about it in this thread yesterday. However, today I found this. It's a blog post with a long list of igoogle alternatives. There is a short review for each one, along with the links.

We igoogle users do have time, but I'd rather start looking now, so that the deadline doesn't sneak up on me.