Menu

Favorite place to shop for your own clothes?

I'm needing to shop for clothes (approx. size 4 or 6) and am not sure where to go. I could try Kohls again -- I usually end up trying on so many and walking out with a couple. Last time I went to Ross and bought a few tops, but I can tell they are cheaply made -- one didn't survive one washing (sigh).

I don't care to dress super trendy, but I don't want to look old-ladyish or out-of-style either. I need to find some shorts and capris that aren't grandma style, but that also hold in my mushroom -- is that possible? I'm thinking of stopping by Walmart first to look at the Lee "instantly slims you" style -- ??

Any ideas? Where do you like to shop?

We are about the same size, good luck. I went to an outlet mall yesterday, tried on tons of stuff, got 4 items. Try Loft, Banana Republic, Gap, Eddie Bauer. Most department stores don't have any 4s left by the time I get there, I think the sales people buy them...

For capris, can you find the brand NYDJ (Not Your Daughter's Jeans)? I just found some really cute olive green and jean NYDJ capris at Nordstrom Rack. They weren't cheap, but I'd rather have a few things I really like to wear than lots of random stuff in my closet.

Let me know if you find shorts you like! I'm not having much luck with them myself. I think I look better in skorts--I had a khaki skort from Patagonia that I loved, but it finally fell apart last year and I really need to replace it.

Amy

I like Land's End, but figuring out your size (I am in the same size range as you) is a pain. Luckily I can return to the local Sears. It took me 3 tries this year on a couple of items. Sometimes I need the petite sizes and sometimes regular--esp in tops. When the local Sears has what I am looking for I do much better figuring out the size correctly. I also like Loft and J Jill, but look for sales and clearance.

I use Kohls for picking up some cheap jeans or capris and occasionally a somewhat more trendy outfit.

The sizing at J. Jill is strange, meaning that you as a size 4 would be an xx small. If you don't want to look like everyone else, try shopping at small boutiques that sell well made items rather than department stores. I'd rather spend the $$ and buy one well made outfit with alternate looks than to have a wardrobe stuffed full of ill-fitting cheap stuff.

Walmart isn't going to be any better than Ross. Personally, the older I get the more important it is for me to look the best I can. Dressing well and looking good gives me the confidence I need to do business when I am surrounded by beautiful young people that look good dressed in a sheet.

I love J C Penny. I am a 6/8 -- small -- tops are great when they are petite as my torso is short.

I can always find whatever I need there. This summer, I bought some sundresses, a pair of shorts (I like them because they aren't too short), several tops, and a pair of capri pants. They also have fun jewelry.

I've also had success at Macy's.

When I was a size 4, I loved Talbots.

I like Loft because when I go in there I always find something that fits well and looks good. And because I buy most of my clothes there I know how they fit and I don't even have to try stuff on most of the time. They are expensive, and their clothes, especially shirts, aren't super durable, but they usually have good sales which makes it more reasonable. If I have time (rare) I can usually find something at Marshall's as well. But you have to sift through lots of junk and try everything on.