Menu

Question for dog lovers

I want a dog I can run with (marathon distance), is around the 40 - 60 pound weight, is good with kids and doesn't shed. Any suggestions? I'm thinking standard poodle or poodle cross.

We have a 13 year old Wheaton Terrier now. I'm not opposed to a terrier, though I wouldn't mind something on the calmer side. :001_smile:

Go to the shelter and look at the lab mixes. If you look at the ones who are already grown, you can stay within the 40-60 pound range, and also pick out one that is particularly good with kids. Labs shed, but some of the mixes don't shed as much. I have a lab mix who only really sheds for a couple weeks at the end of the winter when she blows her heavy winter coat.

Plus... labs (and their mixes) are the best dogs ever. :D They are wonderful with children and great for exercising with.

If you are looking for something large enough and agile enough to run the long distances and yet doesn't shed much, you will be limited to these breeds (I might miss some) Irish Water Spaniel, Standard Poodle, Portuguese Water Dog, Bedlington Terrier (not really big, but built to run), and the Whippet or possibly the Greyhound (not techniquely considered non shedding, but very, very low shedding). A lot of the other non shedding breeds are really meant for long distance type running, or the long distance runners tend to wear out to easily. If you are willing to consider a smaller dog, I have found the Jack Russel or Parson Russel to be more than capable of keeping up with me or even me on horseback and they seem to have endless amounts of energy, if I was looking for a running partner I would go with a Jack Russell, I love the Labs and Golden Retrievers, but I find the hair they leave around just too much for in the house.

Really the hound breeds, like whippets, are the ones meant for running, the sporting breeds like Labs aren't really meant to do that sort of thing.

Edited by Dory

No dog is recommended for marathon distance. Having said that, my border collie, German shepherd, Gordon setter mix can do up to sixteen miles w/ me...but that is really her limits, and certainly not in the summer.

I love labs and have had labs, but for distance make sure it has some border collie. ;)

There is a difference.

If it will be an indoor dog I would recommend a Vizsla. They are certainly not calm though. @ least not the first year. My "V" is just shy of 9yo and he has brought so much joy and love to our lives. No odor, minimal sheding and out right gorgous to look at. I drove 500 miles round trip to get him and would do it again in an instant. Best of luck with whatever your choice.

http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/dogs-101/videos/vizsla.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vizsla

Go to the shelter and look at the lab mixes. If you look at the ones who are already grown, you can stay within the 40-60 pound range, and also pick out one that is particularly good with kids. Labs shed, but some of the mixes don't shed as much. I have a lab mix who only really sheds for a couple weeks at the end of the winter when she blows her heavy winter coat.

Plus... labs (and their mixes) are the best dogs ever. :D They are wonderful with children and great for exercising with.

:iagree::iagree:

I have a lab/golden mix. He sheds twice a year but not bad. He is wonderful with everybody. And he loves to run.

I love mixed breeds.

Daisy Doodle (Labradoodle) - doesn't shed, is totally placid, non-aggressive, and is a wonderful friend and playmate for my boys:

ETA She does require regular grooming and trimming, her coat mats very easily.

I really haven't read any of the other replies, but personally I wouldn't recommend ANY dog for marathon distances. Too much wear and tear on joints that they can't complain about. Yes, sled dogs cover distances much greater, but in small chunks, and they train for years with special diets, etc. Plus, they are not inside family dogs and they shed. A lot.

astrid

If it will be an indoor dog I would recommend a Vizsla. They are certainly not calm though. @ least not the first year. My "V" is just shy of 9yo and he has brought so much joy and love to our lives. No odor, minimal sheding and out right gorgous to look at. I drove 500 miles round trip to get him and would do it again in an instant. Best of luck with whatever your choice.

:iagree: This is a breed I would recommend as well. They are definitely not calm but any dog that has the drive and energy to run like you want will not be. Vizslas are beautiful and loving, a great size and shed minimally. They don't do well in cold weather though (at least the ones I have known didn't).

Most hunting dogs will be good runners since they are bred to cover many miles chasing other animals.

Thanks for all the dog recommendations. After writing the marathon distance in the OP, I realized that the really long distances wouldn't be nice on a dog. I'd like a running partner for A LOT of running, though.

My first choice would be a young dog (8 weeks to 6 months) so it would be well socialized with our children. I also lean strongly toward a quality breeder, so that I have a better chance of knowing the health of the dog (though there are always risks). We've had really good luck with our Wheaton Terriers.

Thanks for all the dog recommendations. After writing the marathon distance in the OP, I realized that the really long distances wouldn't be nice on a dog. I'd like a running partner for A LOT of running, though.

My first choice would be a young dog (8 weeks to 6 months) so it would be well socialized with our children. I also lean strongly toward a quality breeder, so that I have a better chance of knowing the health of the dog (though there are always risks). We've had really good luck with our Wheaton Terriers.

A couple of things-- first, no young dog should be running long distances, especially on pavement. Actually, dogs weren't designed to run on pavement, so really any age dog shouldn't be doing a lot of running on pavement, especially young dogs under say a year to 18 months, depending on the breed and the speed at which growth plates close. I'm assuming that with whatever dog you get, you'll work to increase conditioning and stamina as you would with a human training partner, correct? And pay careful, daily attention to his pads, feet and joints-- you wear running shoes, your dog will not.

Secondly, I don't personally know of a breeder who would sell a pup to be a marathon runner. I know I wouldn't, though no one would look at my breed and think they'd make great running partners. For what you're looking for, I"d do a LOT of diligent research into pedigrees and health testing, especially cardiac and ortho histories on both sides of the parents. But again, if someone came to me and said they wanted to buy a puppy to be a marathon training partner, or even to do "A LOT" of running, I wouldn't sell them a pup. I'm not saying this to be snarky or impudent, I"m just giving you a heads' up since you did state you were looking for a responsible breeder, and these are things that would turn off a lot of us breeders.

Good luck in your search.

astrid

Wow! The Vizsla is gorgeous! My dd has fallen in love. I'll have to check for local breeders. Thanks for the links.

A couple of things-- first, no young dog should be running long distances, especially on pavement. Actually, dogs weren't designed to run on pavement, so really any age dog shouldn't be doing a lot of running on pavement, especially young dogs under say a year to 18 months, depending on the breed and the speed at which growth plates close. I'm assuming that with whatever dog you get, you'll work to increase conditioning and stamina as you would with a human training partner, correct? And pay careful, daily attention to his pads, feet and joints-- you wear running shoes, your dog will not.

Secondly, I don't personally know of a breeder who would sell a pup to be a marathon runner. I know I wouldn't, though no one would look at my breed and think they'd make great running partners. For what you're looking for, I"d do a LOT of diligent research into pedigrees and health testing, especially cardiac and ortho histories on both sides of the parents. But again, if someone came to me and said they wanted to buy a puppy to be a marathon training partner, or even to do "A LOT" of running, I wouldn't sell them a pup. I'm not saying this to be snarky or impudent, I"m just giving you a heads' up since you did state you were looking for a responsible breeder, and these are things that would turn off a lot of us breeders.

Good luck in your search.

astrid

Thanks for the tips. No, I'm not planning on running my puppy into the ground. Two, I run mostly on dirt tracks. Three, I don't run marathon distance daily - that would be insane. Training up for a marathon one builds slowly and never actually runs 21 miles except in the actual race. Usually I run 3 - 5 miles about 5 times a week, with a longer run once a week. I'm glad you are looking out for the health of your dogs!

Edited by wintermom

Thanks for the tips. No, I'm not planning on running my puppy into the ground. Two, I run mostly on dirt tracks. Three, I don't run marathon distance daily - that would be insane. Training up for a marathon one builds slowly and never actually runs 21 miles except in the actual race. Usually I run 3 - 5 miles about 5 times a week, with a longer run once a week. I'm glad you are looking out for the health of your dogs!

Okay--- when I read "marathon" I was thinking that you want a dog to go out and run 26.2 miles with you every day at a race pace. I"m not a runner, so that's what I thought you were talking about. There's a big difference between marathon and 3-5 miles five times per week. I'd say a Vizsla could handle that, if it worked up slowly. But they do shed.

astrid

Okay--- when I read "marathon" I was thinking that you want a dog to go out and run 26.2 miles with you every day at a race pace. I"m not a runner, so that's what I thought you were talking about. There's a big difference between marathon and 3-5 miles five times per week. I'd say a Vizsla could handle that, if it worked up slowly. But they do shed.

astrid

We don't have dog allergies to worry about, so shedding of some short hair would be manageable.

I want a dog I can run with (marathon distance), is around the 40 - 60 pound weight, is good with kids and doesn't shed. Any suggestions? I'm thinking standard poodle or poodle cross.

We have a 13 year old Wheaton Terrier now. I'm not opposed to a terrier, though I wouldn't mind something on the calmer side. :001_smile:

Standard poodle.

When I was a teenager I babysat for a family that had two Rhodesian Ridgebacks. They were big, but the ones that they had were so sweet. I remember watching an Animal Planet show about them and they are very athletic.

Janet

Edited by jg_puppy
typo

When I was a teenager I babysat for a family that had two Rhodesian Ridgebacks. They were big, but the ones that they had were so sweet. I remember watching an Animal Planet show about them and they are very athletic.

Janet

Those are really cool looking dogs!

We don't have dog allergies to worry about, so shedding of some short hair would be manageable.

Okay, well--- I seem to have misunderstood what you were asking. You stated that you want a dog you can run with (marathon distance) and that doesn't shed. Those are the two criteria to which I was responding. I didn't equate "marathon distance" to 3-5 miles, "doesn't shed" to "so shedding of some short hair would be manageable."

The one thing I'll say before I shut up is that short, straight hair like a vizsla gets stuck in EVERYTHING. Some people find this type of shedding coat much more annoying to deal with than longer hair that is easily removed from clothing, carpet, etc.

astrid