Menu

Books on the Great Depression for little kids?

melissel

We went to see Kit Kittredge the other day, and my DD (almost 6) and I talked a bit about the Depression afterward. I want to read more about it with her, but I have no idea where to start looking for books for this age group.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'd love to read some nonfiction, but this is a pretty heavy topic. I'm not sure how much is out there for first graders :lol:

TIA!

Children of the Great Depression by Russel Freedman is a book of photographs of kids during the depression. I love his books. My 8 & 10 year olds looked at it. I don't remeber anything in their that would upset a 6 year old but just preview it first.

CoffeBean

From Publishers Weekly:

At age 79, Uncle Jed, after a lifetime of obstacles (including segregation and the Great Depression), finally realizes his dream of owning a barbershop. "Convivial descriptions of family life are enhanced by Ransome's spirited oil paintings," said PW. Ages 4-7.

This might be a good time to forgo the books and head to a grandparent's home or a nursing home. That opportunity won't always be available! ;)

Michele B

This is such excellent advice! Two years ago when my dd read the Kit books she wanted to know more about the Great Depression. We got on the phone and started calling older relatives (those in the 75 to 100 years old) and the stories were amazing! Not to mention that the relatives were thrilled to share their experiences and wisdom with a younger generation. I would recommend that anyone studying the depression take the time to seek out those who lived through it, it will enrichen your lives.

For younger children, I love The Babe and I. It sounds like a book for boys, but my girls love it too.

This is the description from Amazon:

So begins David Adler's inspired tale of the challenges and magic--yes, magic--of a depression-era childhood spent in the Bronx, New York. Disappointed, but not surprised by his present, the young narrator in The Babe & I spends his birthday afternoon wandering neighborhood streets with his best friend Jacob, discussing--as always--the New York Yankees and the world's greatest baseball player, Babe Ruth. The boys may have little in the way of monetary goods, but they do live within walking distance of Yankee stadium. They get a special lift from their proximity to this golden team of graced athletes, even if they can never go inside the gate. On this day, however, the stakes are raised significantly when the narrator discovers a difficult, saddening secret about his father. In response, he decides to join Jacob and become a newspaper boy--a decision that helps his family through these tough years and leads the narrator into the best, most unbelievable encounter of his life--better than any bike or birthday or anything.

I might be a bit ahead of your daughter's age, but "Out of the Dust" by Karen Hesse is a profoundly moving short novel about a girl growing in in the "dust bowl" during the Great Depression.

This is a work of truly great literature! IMS it won a Newberry Award. My wife and I did this as a read-aloud for ourselves, and neither of us escaped with dry eyes.

Bill

I was going to say Out of the Dust, but Spy Car beat me to it.:auto:

There are some pretty intense subjects in the book, though. Preview it first for such a young listener.

It is a beautifully written, special book. I even enjoy it as an adult reader.

If you don't read it this year, but it on your "save" list.

I think there is also a book called Dear Mrs. Roosevelt.

I'd take a look at books of photographs of the time period with a youngster, too. So many powerful images of that era. The photos speak of the Depression's suffering, hope and strength that words cannot.

I might be a bit ahead of your daughter's age, but "Out of the Dust" by Karen Hesse is a profoundly moving short novel about a girl growing in in the "dust bowl" during the Great Depression.

This is a work of truly great literature! IMS it won a Newberry Award. My wife and I did this as a read-aloud for ourselves, and neither of us escaped with dry eyes.

Bill

read this book, and it was excellent!

I'm not certain, but isn't "Bud, Not Buddy" take place during the Depression? It's been a while since we read it, but I thought it took place during the Depression.