Menu

Older infant food ideas please...

Dgs is 10.5 months, and still nursing VERY often. However, dd is now 15+ weeks pg and has definitely noticed a decreased milk supply.

Because he has dairy allergies (well, mainly milk - he can tolerate dairy yogurt, but dd can't drink milk at all or he gets horrible tummy aches), she isn't interested in introducing any other type of milk/formula at this point. What she wants to do is make sure he gets the right foods to make up for any lack of nutrients in the reduced supply of breast milk.

This baby will eat just about anything (well, he is NOT interested in baby food anymore except the grains mixed with fruits). He eats scrambled egg, meats, tuna, breads, grains, fruits, veggies (he loves V-8 juice), etc. I honestly can't believe how much he loves some of those strong tasting foods!

Anyway, what are the best things she can feed him that will be the most nutritious for him with a lowered milk supply?

Also, things that are healthy, but still fast and easy, because this guy is NOT a patient little camper while his mom prepares his meals.

Congratulations!

It sounds like she is doing a great job finding healthy foods for him. I would tell her not to worry too much. If she offers a mix of proteins, grains, fruits, and veggies every day, and lets him decide when he's done, he'll get plenty of nutrition.

He may actually be nursing so often because her supply is decreasing. Since he doesn't get as much milk at the first feeding, he goes back for more, kwim?

She might ask his doctor if she could do weight checks every couple of weeks just to make sure her decreased supply isn't affecting his growth.

And send her over to kellymom.com. She'll find everything she ever wanted to know about breastfeeding, plus a forum where she can get more advice.

It sounds like she is doing a great job finding healthy foods for him. I would tell her not to worry too much. If she offers a mix of proteins, grains, fruits, and veggies every day, and lets him decide when he's done, he'll get plenty of nutrition.

:iagree:

what about coconut milk? my walmart just got the cartons of Silk brand. Supposedly it has more calcium in it than cow's milk. if she really doesn't want to introduce any other kind of milk, i would make sure she gives him plenty of water so he doesn't get dehydrated, especially during the summer. once my babies are that good of eaters, i usually just feed them off my plate.

you mentioned that he'll eat scrambled eggs, meat, grains, fruits, veggies. What else is there? :001_smile:

Steamed sweet potato bits, tiny ripe avocado chucks, slivers of very ripe banana, good yogurt, steamed chopped veggies (carrots, peas, summer squashes), small bits of soft hard-boiled or frind egg, tiny shredded plain chicken or tuna, steamed bits of pears, small bites of shredded cheese, apple sauce, small, well-steamed bits of red bliss or turnip, tiny chunks of steamed organic tofu, cooked, soft beans (pinto, black, garbanzo etc).

My kids also loved oatmeal at that age. Is was a big gross mess as they picked up the mush and licked it off their fingers. (They no longer do that, thankfully. lol)

Edited by LibraryLover

I do realize he eats quite a variety. Dd just isn't really sure of the things that will be best, but still very easy for her to prepare.

Did I mention dgs is quite a grinch, and pretty crotchety and demanding most of his waking hours (except those where he is extremely happy and smiling/laughing hysterically for th camera)? Hence the need for fast and easy, but still healthy. :tongue_smilie:

Other milk isn't recommended until closer to a year old anyway.

The most important thing for an older nursing baby is IRON. THings that are high in iron include: meat, beans, lentils, whole wheats, baked potatoes, enriched pastas/rices/cereals, tomatoes, peaches, pears, dried apricots, figs, raisins, prunes, winter squash... (okay, I pulled out the list. LOL)

Calcium prevents the absorption of iron, so they should not be consumed at the same time. Avoid milk, cheese, yogurt when the iron foods are consumed.

Vitamin C enhances the absorption of iron. Foods that are rich in vitamin c include: oranges and juice, grapefruits and juice, cantaloupe, mango, papaya, strawberries, guava, cabbage, green chilies, red chilies, green peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, brussel sprouts, and cauliflower.

Tomatoes have BOTH: iron AND vitamin C. ;)

Other than the iron thing, just providing him with a wide variety of food should be enough to make sure he's getting what he needs.

If you or she have any questions, I agree that Kellymom is a great resource, or feel free to PM me - I'm a WIC breastfeeding counselor, training to be a lactation consultant. :)

I've never cooked special food for the baby. Once a baby is old enough they just get bits of what we are eating. Sounds like to me she just needs to continue what she is doing but not stressing about making separate meals (assuming of course they are eating whole food themselves).

Edited by soror

I'll third avocado and sweet potatoes. Some of those first foods are low in calories and it's hard to get enough in a little one to keep them satisfied for long. Avocado and sweet potatoes are pretty calorie dense compared to things like squash or green beans.

I'll third avocado and sweet potatoes. Some of those first foods are low in calories and it's hard to get enough in a little one to keep them satisfied for long. Avocado and sweet potatoes are pretty calorie dense compared to things like squash or green beans.

That is a good point, if you don't cook in fat it is good to remember that the baby (and us but that is a different subject) need fat. I think coconut oil and butter (or ghee) are especially good fats. Coconut oil has some of the same properties, which escape my brain at the moment, as breastmilk. It is good for the brain.