Menu

Gifted Education Week Blog-tour, 2012

It's not too late! Welcome aboard.

I was thinking about posting the blog-tour announcement later today, but maybe I should wait until Friday the 6th to give us more time to gather more bloggers. Now that Icounou has left the boards, I'm not sure if he/she is still good for the guest post about Grade Acceleration, which is too bad.

Little Izzumi, I think posting on an older blog is fine. What is your blog address, and what would you like your title to be?

http://dancing-with-dragons.blogspot.com/

Hrm. If you're delaying the announcement I'd appreciate the extra time to come up with a snazzy name, lol.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm assuming we're holding off on the announcement? Just let me know me either way :)

Sounds like the concensus would appreciate any extra time.

Aly in Va.

Yes. Let's hold off until Friday, July 6th. That gives me more time too. :tongue_smilie:

What's the full address of childhoodinspired.com?

http://www.childhoodinspired.com

Although, I'm wondering if I can be a complete spaz and change my topic? There is just so little science on the food allergy/giftedness relationship that I'm afraid it would be a lot of fluff and speculation, which I'm not feeling too great about. :confused:

Eeek! My 3 year old seems to have scab that is infected so we are headed off to the doctor. Please cut, paste, edit away and hopefully we can all post the official message later tonight. Note, you don't need to post your actual article until your assigned day.

ParentingtheGiftedBlogTour2012_200px.jpg

______________________is very excited to be participating in the Parenting the Gifted Blog Tour 2012 from July 15-21st. This blog tour is organized by parents who met on The Well Trained Mind Message boards and who would like to help celebrate SENG's National Parenting Gifted Children Week 2012.

This blog tour is not officially associated with The Well Trained Mind or SENG, but we are parents with experience and insights to share. We come from different parts of the country, different school choices, and different social and economic backgrounds, but we all have one thing in common. We know that parenting a gifted child can sometimes be as challenging as it is rewarding. If you have ever woken up at 3 AM in the morning wondering "What am I going to do with this child?" then this blog tour is for you!

From July 15-21 the Parenting the Gifted Blog Tour will discuss some of the most pertinent issues facing gifted education today:

On July 15th Childhood Inspired will write about "____________________" and Our Roxaboxen Adventures will discuss "Identifying Gifted Minority Students".

On July 16th Sceleratus Classical Academy will share "Don't Panic! Musings about realizing that your child's learning pattern is ahead of schedule."

On July 17th Teaching My Baby to Read will feature “When School Isn't Enough; Fanning the Flames of Learning Afterschool”.

On July 18th Homeschooling: or Who’s Ever Home will write about "A Broader Definition of Success for Gifted Children".

On July 19th A Tree House Education will feature "2E Issues". Homeschool in Florida will share "Get Out of Your Own Way: How to Listen to the Needs of Your Gifted Child".

On July 20th Making Music With Kids will discuss "Finding a Good Fit for a Preschooler You Suspect is Gifted". Barely Educational will offer "Worrying Too Much and Overanalyzing Parenting"

On July 21st Teaching My Baby to Read will feature two guest posts. Dancing with Dragons will write about "Teaching the Visual Spatial Learner: When Your Child Thinks in Pictures".

Come back to this blog on _________ for my post about _______________.

Edited by jenbrdsly
Updated

______________________is very excited to be participating in the Parenting the Gifted Blog Tour 2012 from July 15-21st. This blog tour is organized by parents who met on The Well Trained Mind Message boards and who would like to help celebrate SENG's National Parenting Gifted Children Week 2012.

This blog tour is not officially associated with The Well Trained Mind or SENG, but we are parents with experience and insights to share. We come from different parts of the country, different school choices, and different social and economic backgrounds, but we all have one thing in common. We know that parenting a gifted child can sometimes be as challenging as it is rewarding. If you have ever woken up at 3 AM in the morning wondering "What am I going to do with this child?" then this blog tour is for you!

From July 15-21 the Parenting the Gifted Blog Tour will discuss some of the most pertinent issues facing gifted education today:

On July 15th Childhood Inspired will write about "____________________" and Our Roxaboxen Adventures will discuss "Identifying Gifted Minority Students".

On July 16th Sceleratus Classical Academy will share "Don't Panic! Musings about realizing that your child's learning pattern is unusually different."

On July 17th Teaching My Baby to Read will feature “When School Isn't Enough; Fanning the Flames of Learning Afterschoolâ€.

On July 18th Homeschooling: or Who’s Ever Home will write about "A Broader Definition of Success for Gifted Children".

On July 19th A Tree House Education will feature "2E Issues".

On July 20th Making Music With Kids will discuss "The Suspected Gifted Preschooler and How to Approach His or Her Teacher".

and Barely Educational Worrying too much and over analysing parenting.

On July 21st Teaching My Baby to Read will feature two guest posts. Dancing with Dragrons will write about ____________________.

I can't seem to match the color. www.barelyeducational.webs.com

July 20th Worrying too much and over analysing parenting.

It's not a fancy post and it's not a fancy blog but I am participating and I'm not on the list so please paste mine in. ty

Mine is more on finding a good fit in a program for a gifted/suspected gifted preschooler. Talking to the teacher is part of it, but better to do so up front than to end up in a situation where the teacher is convinced that something is seriously wrong with your child and you're trying to point out that this is NORMAL for a gifted child (been there, done that, ended up with a formal DX of "too gifted to test on our instruments" and a recommendation that we find a new child care provider because DD was literally being bored to tears on a daily basis :) ).

Sorry for leaving you off La Texican! I ran off to the doctors in such a rush I knew I forgot something. We've got antibiotic cream now and a lot of princess bandages.

Terrilth, are you sure you don't want to join us? All you would need would be a title/topic for today, and you wouldn't have to actually publish anything until July 19th.

Eeek! My 3 year old seems to have scab that is infected so we are headed off to the doctor. Please cut, paste, edit away and hopefully we can all post the official message later tonight. Note, you don't need to post your actual article until your assigned day.

On July 16th Sceleratus Classical Academy will share "Don't Panic! Musings about realizing that your child's learning pattern is ahead of schedule."

On July 17th Teaching My Baby to Read will feature “When School Isn't Enough; Fanning the Flames of Learning Afterschoolâ€.

On July 19th A Tree House Education will feature "2E Issues".[/url]

On July 20th Making Music With Kids will discuss "Finding a Good Fit for a Preschooler You Suspect is Gifted". Barely Educational will offer "Worrying Too Much and Overanalyzing Parenting"

On July 21st Teaching My Baby to Read will feature two guest posts. Dancing with Dragons will write about "Teaching the Visual Spatial Learner: When Your Child Thinks in Pictures".

:001_smile:

Terrilth, are you sure you don't want to join us? All you would need would be a title/topic for today, and you wouldn't have to actually publish anything until July 19th.

Looks great! Okay, I will see if I can get this together. I thought I had to post it today which was not going to happen! :tongue_smilie:

My title will be "Listen Up, and Let Your Child Lead!" or something to that effect. :)

Okay, which one sounds best? It's about how to let the child lead and stop getting in your own way.

Get Out of the Way and Let Your Child Lead

Get Out of Your Own Way: How to Listen to the Needs of Your Gifted Child

Listen Up! Your Child Knows Best

????

any other ideas?

Looks great! Okay, I will see if I can get this together. I thought I had to post it today which was not going to happen! :tongue_smilie:

My title will be "Listen Up, and Let Your Child Lead!" or something to that effect. :)

Okay, which one sounds best? It's about how to let the child lead and stop getting in your own way.

Get Out of the Way and Let Your Child Lead

Get Out of Your Own Way: How to Listen to the Needs of Your Gifted Child

Listen Up! Your Child Knows Best

????

any other ideas?

I really like this one!

On July 15th Childhood Inspired will write about "Loneliness as a Gifted Parent". Our Roxaboxen Adventures will discuss "Identifying Gifted Minority Students".

On July 17th Teaching My Baby to Read will feature “When School Isn't Enough; Fanning the Flames of Learning Afterschool”.

On July 19th A Tree House Education will feature "2E Issues". Homeschool in Florida will share "Get Out of Your Own Way: How to Listen to the Needs of Your Gifted Child".

On July 21st Teaching My Baby to Read will feature guest posts. Dancing with Dragons will write about "Teaching the Visual Spatial Learner: When Your Child Thinks in Pictures".

Teaching my Baby to Read still has room for more guest posts, so if you have something on your heart that you would like to share, please email Jenny via Teachingmybabytoread at gmail dot com.

Come back to my blog on ___________________ for my post about___________________

Looks great! Runningmom80, do you have a title? Then we will be all ready to post.

Edited by jenbrdsly

Hi! Sorry I've been MIA, my twins turned 2 today.

I'd like to write about loneliness as a gifted parent.

Happy double birthday! I LOVE your topic.

I think we are ready to roll... I've looked at the announcement post about 100 times and I can't find any more typos. Here's the link on my blog.

La Texican, are you by any chance still active on the Davidson Gifted Board? That could be a good place to share this. I think I might send off a message to the WA state coalition of Gifted Education.

Yeah! We are really doing this! Thank you again to the board moderators for allowing us to organize this. Hopefully we send traffic your way.

On July 15th Childhood Inspired will write about "Loneliness as a Gifted Parent". Our Roxaboxen Adventures will discuss "Identifying Gifted Minority Students".

On July 21st Teaching My Baby to Read will feature guest posts. Dancing with Dragons will write about "Teaching the Visual Spatial Learner: When Your Child Thinks in Pictures".

Teaching my Baby to Read still has room for more guest posts, so if you have something on your heart that you would like to share, please email Jenny via Teachingmybabytoread at gmail dot com.

Come back to my blog on ___________________ for my post about___________________.

Edited by jenbrdsly

While adding the urls to make the announcement I noticed a few things. *The first blog shows an 8 yr old who's reading Moby Dick in one post and posing as a Sesame Street charachter in another. *Classic! *

Also every time I've seen the Sceleratus Academy I just assumed it was a Latin word and mumbled over it, now i've had to remember the spelling to copy it I realize it's a Hogwarts spell for accelerate us.

To make the links work when I posted the announcement in the other forum I used the announcement from teaching my baby to read. *I found that my link "barely educational" was faulty in the announcement. *I guess if any of y'all want my link to work you're going to have to correct it manually other wise it just leads back to this thread and not to my blog. *-cheers

While adding the urls to make the announcement I noticed a few things. *The first blog shows an 8 yr old who's reading Moby Dick in one post and posing as a Sesame Street charachter in another. *Classic! *

Also every time I've seen the Sceleratus Academy I just assumed it was a Latin word and mumbled over it, now i've had to remember the spelling to copy it I realize it's a Hogwarts spell for accelerate us.

To make the links work when I posted the announcement in the other forum I used the announcement from teaching my baby to read. *I found that my link "barely educational" was faulty in the announcement. *I guess if any of y'all want my link to work you're going to have to correct it manually other wise it just leads back to this thread and not to my blog. *-cheers

Shoot! I just fixed it on my blog as well as on my posts on this thread. Here's the correct link for Barely Educational:

http://www.barelyeducational.webs.com/

Sorry about that La Texican! Are there anyother mistakes?

I didn't know about sceleratus being a Harry Potter spell. It's suppose to be the Latin word for "ruffian. " I got the idea from the movie Tangled and I thought it fit the boys. I'm sure I'm pronouncing it wrong in my head (we haven't started Latin yet.)

You were extra witty and you didn't know it. :tongue_smilie:

http://www.sengifted.org/npgc-week-2012/2012-npgcw-week-blog-tour

So I guess they're doing one after all. (La Texican posted this on the Davidson forum.)

I'm still glad we're doing ours, though.

I'm still glad we are doing ours too! Our blog-tour has a bit of a different focus though, since all of the contributors are familiar with the WTM, Classical Education, etc. It will be fun to read both tours. The more people out there having a conversation about gifted issues, the better.

I had really scoured the internet before I started organizing ours, and I had also contacted SENG and the person who organized the 2011 Blog tour last year. I never heard back from anyone. That's why it seemed to me that they weren't going to do it after all. I guess I was wrong!

Btw, when we announced our blog tour, I posted it on the SENG Facebook page. That was just a few days ago.

I thought ours was the one it was when I saw it on the hoagies facebook page. I made another blog post from their list of topics and volunteered for the same day I volunteered on this one. I don't know if they want mine though because it was about advocacy and working with the school and about the laws, but mine was just about the failed advocacy when I tried to enroll my son into pre-k using early entry last year, which is not available in my state for pre-k. (if you've seen any of my pics you know he was quite ready for pre-k last year- the best they'll offer is let him skip kindergarten- next year. This upcoming year he can (and will) go to pre-k. I don't know if they want that post in that other blog tour or not because it only discusses a problem and doesn't discuss a solution.

Either way, I have my post written for this one and I have a post written for the other one, if they want it. I'm hoping "the squeaky wheel gets oiled" and by putting these stories out there people start showing a little love for the advanced learners.

I thought ours was the one it was when I saw it on the hoagies facebook page. I made another blog post from their list of topics and volunteered for the same day I volunteered on this one. I don't know if they want mine though because it was about advocacy and working with the school and about the laws, but mine was just about the failed advocacy when I tried to enroll my son into pre-k using early entry last year, which is not available in my state for pre-k. (if you've seen any of my pics you know he was quite ready for pre-k last year- the best they'll offer is let him skip kindergarten- next year. This upcoming year he can (and will) go to pre-k. I don't know if they want that post in that other blog tour or not because it only discusses a problem and doesn't discuss a solution.

Either way, I have my post written for this one and I have a post written for the other one, if they want it. I'm hoping "the squeaky wheel gets oiled" and by putting these stories out there people start showing a little love for the advanced learners.

I think that's fine to submit two separate posts to both blog tours.

What's funny to me as a random mom in WA sitting at my computer is that if you Google "gifted blog tour 2012" our own blog tour comes out on top. Yeah for grass-roots organization!

J think I'm posting in the other one too. They sent back an email saying they like my post (I wrote a second one- it's not the same one I wrote for this tour). I'm just waiting on the next email telling me what to do next. I've never done anything like this and now I'm doing two at once. It feels a silly amount of exciting.

I think it will be a good idea to post every day starting on the fifteenth reminding about the daily blog post that day.

J think I'm posting in the other one too. They sent back an email saying they like my post (I wrote a second one- it's not the same one I wrote for this tour). I'm just waiting on the next email telling me what to do next. I've never done anything like this and now I'm doing two at once. It feels a silly amount of exciting.

I think it will be a good idea to post every day starting on the fifteenth reminding about the daily blog post that day.

:iagree: I was planning on doing this.

:iagree:

I'm also posting a blog-tour announcement on my "I Brake for Moms" community blog on the Everett Herald. That will come out Monday.

Thank you SO MUCH to all of our bloggers and other people who have offered their help and support. It's really exciting that we are doing this.

Uh, oh. I just read the two blogs for today and I can't believe I have to come after those! Mine is no where near as informed and official sounding! :tongue_smilie:

You'll do great! As for Runningmom and Aly in Virgina. WOW!!! I had chills...for real.

Uh, oh. I just read the two blogs for today and I can't believe I have to come after those! Mine is no where near as informed and official sounding! :tongue_smilie:

Thank you for your kind words, I've been obsessing about that post, and if I came across as knowledgable about the topic, or just a mom venting. At least if I do come across as venting, at least I also seem informed. :lol:

Just a thought for posters: You might want to consider posting your blog post the night before your day. That way it is up and available for viewers in the morning and for those in earlier time zones. I almost did it last night, but I put off doing it until this morning in case I had a last-minute revelation in the night ( I didn't.) My kids miraculously let me sleep in until 9am today and when I went on my blog to post the Blog Tour submission I already had a lot of views who didn't have anything to read.

Just a thought for posters: You might want to consider posting your blog post the night before your day. That way it is up and available for viewers in the morning and for those in earlier time zones. I almost did it last night, but I put off doing it until this morning in case I had a last-minute revelation in the night ( I didn't.) My kids miraculously let me sleep in until 9am today and when I went on my blog to post the Blog Tour submission I already had a lot of views who didn't have anything to read.

Yes please! I wondered two days ago why nobody had posted, then I realised it wasn't quite the 15th there yet :lol:

I've actually got mine up already, but I'm not publicizing it until Thursday. That way, I don't have to deal with it before running to teach music camp Thursday AM and time zones won't be an issue, and I have a day or two to re-read and change before anyone is likely to look at it.

I have enjoyed reading all of these thus far. Also, I do like the different voices of the writers. It is refreshing to have a mix of formal, informal and even a bit of poetry. Thank you to all the participants!

Just added my post to my blog. Almost forgot...we are away at music camp. I had typed it up ahead of time knowing I would be away and then just posted it and there appears to be a bit of a technical problem with the font on the right running into the stuff in the sidebar. Sorry about that. Tried to fix it because it's annoying me but can't figure it out.

I thought that was a glitch in my phone browser. It did make it where I could only skim read the article.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix that, I'd be happy to try again. I tried adding in spaces to cut each line shorter and changing font type and size but nothing has worked. It hasn't ever done that on any of my other posts?