Menu

Dosing medicines for infants

Why don't they put the proper dosage for infants on the bottle? I had to buy infant Tylenol yesterday and I had no idea how much to give. We always got the concentrated stuff, but now they sell the same liquid for infants and children, but the infants bottle comes with a syringe. All it says is "children 2 and up, 24-35 pounds, 5ml, children under 24 pounds or 2 years, ask a doctor".

My doctor told me how much concentrated Tylenol to give him last time we were in (which was a month and a half, and probably 2 pounds, ago).

I tried asking the pharmacist, but she said they couldn't go against manufacturers information because of liability issues. The stuff is labeled "infants" and "for children 0-24 months". But there is no dosing for that age group!

Eventually, I called urgent care and talked to a nurse. They didn't have a chart for the new dosing, but her chart told her he needed 120 mg and my bottle said 160 mg per 5 ml, so between us we figured out to give him 3.75 ml (which was one of the lines on the syringe). But most parents won't go to the effort and will give the wrong dosage. I'm annoyed.

I was wondering about this too but then I heard the appalling statistic that the majority of parents do not have enough math skills to handle measurement for medications. I think the figure was something like only 35% of American parents can correctly understand measurements of the type with medications and that this was considered upper elementary math (basically fifth or sixth grade level). That really shocked me though I knew that innumeracy was a larger problem in our country than illiteracy.