Menu

What if you had $900 to spend on curriculum for your Kindergartener and 1st grader?

phathui5

We have a chance of being able to use a flexible charter school for next year that would let us pick out up to $900 of non-religious curriculum per child.

I've always done the early grades as cheaply as I can and I'm excited about the possibility of being able to get them new things.

What should I look into? What would you recommend for Kindergarten and 1st grade?

I would buy a lot of books since our library is OK but not fantastic. I would also buy hands-on learning things like puzzles, games, science experiments, etc. Look at Timberdoodle- they have some fun educational things there. What fun- spending $900 on curriculum for kids that young would be like Christmas for me:)

Will the charter require you to return non-consumables? Are you allowed to use the money towards classes & things like music lessons or just curriculum?

If the charter has a lending library of materials that other families have turned in, I would check out their selection before ordering any materials.

we did that for several years- lots of consumable art supplies!!! workbooks and consumable stuff, after you get consumables out of the way then order other stuff since you'll likely have to send it back. also SCIENCE kits!!! they are usually consumable if they have consumable products. What state are you in?

I'm in a similar situation, only I get $360-ish dollars for three semesters. Soooo excited :D. I'm hazy on the details yet, but I'm hoping I'll be able to use it for stuff like trips to the aquarium, swimming lessons, messy art classes and the like as well as books and supplies. I've loosely mapped out what I'm *hoping* to accomplish this year (Kindergarten) and made a rough, prioritized list. I'm sure it will evolve as we go along . . .

We get a similar deal, but we get more than twice that amount ($2000). :) Here are some of the things I am getting:

5th grader

Mr. Q physical science and all of the supplies (including a list of stuff from Radio Shack)

Science kits: Snap Circuits Green, Optical Science & Art, Engino

IEW's SWI-A

Growing with Grammar

Writing journals

Dick Blick art supplies

Homeschool in th Woods's composers and artists activity-paks

Spelling Plus

Math supplements like grocery cart math and hands on equations verbal problems (we are using CLE math)

Swimming lessons

Field trips

For my 4 year old (he only gets $200)

IEW's PAL reading and writing

Elemental Science exploring science

Right Start math games cards

(I already have RS A and horizons k math, and Evan-Moor early childhood themes)

At those ages, I would buy kumon workbooks, a ton of art supplies, educational board games, books books and more books for my home library.

that I'd need in the future. If you had to spend the money now, definitely purchase quality art supplies that will last and yes books or ebook reader or iPad. We still have bees wax crayons from K and DS is in 8th grade.

Another question- does your charter require you to spend the full stipend on each child or are you allowed to transfer a certain amount from the younger students to the older students?

Our charter allows me to transfer funding from DS to DD so long as I can prove to the teacher that I have sufficient materials to cover the basic subjects with him. I usually wind up transferring between $100 & $200 from him to her per semester.

Will the charter require you to return non-consumables? I don't know yet.

Are you allowed to use the money towards classes & things like music lessons or just curriculum? Yes, though between working and having five children, our time for that is extremely limited.

does your charter require you to spend the full stipend on each child or are you allowed to transfer a certain amount from the younger students to the older students? I hadn't thought to ask them that. That would be good though.

Well, aren't you going to have fun shopping!!

I am working on my order too through the school program we are using. This year I am getting tons of cool stuff (including a huge amount from Remedia). I thought for sure I'd be over our amount....but I still have $1000 to go!

In our program, we have to return nonconsumables when we are either done with them (which could be years) or when we leave the program (which I am not planning on doing). My dd has a specific amount and my son has $500 more than her....but it's just combined as a family (they don't divvy out who gets what), so that's really nice.

My kids are older than K/1st....but just some of the stuff we are getting:

HO Middle Ages (with all kinds of knights/castles/medieval things to go with it)

History Portfolio Jr Medieval

LOF Elementary

LLATL

tons of art supplies (plus sketching/painting items for older son)

lots of logic type books/anti-coloring books/perplexors.....

Key To....

Teaching Textbooks

Math U See

a bunch of science kits

RSO

lots of stuff from Remedia (real life math stuff, a bunch of life skill type things for son, story folders/books.......my dd went crazy over all the stuff in that catalog)

Zoom

Making Spelling Sense

Possibly: Power Glide Elementary French, Home Science Adventure kits, Atelier Art

I could go on....but this is the main stuff, it might give you some ideas.

Have fun!

Guest cpresz

I completely agree with the Usborne books ... my kids have learned so much through those amazing books. The lift the flap series is one of my favorites. Also, my daughter probably knows more than her public school counterparts about the human body because of the Lift The Flap Human Body and Flip Flop Body books.

Books by Brian Cleary are great too, for language arts. I'm thankful that my library has an abundance of them, as we'll be checking them out all next year.

I'd probably purchase Math manipulatives, as many as I could get my hands on (though, I have a very visual/kinesthetic learner).

Also, I'd probably purchase items from Insect Lore for science experiments and observation. Our next purchase from them will be the frog tank.

I *might* purchase an Amazon Prime membership (though I don't know if that's included in what's acceptable for you) because you can borrow so many different titles AND get free shipping. And I buy a lot of my things from Amazon (though, I know that's a little controversial).

Anyway - have fun spending the Benjamins! I have curriculum hoarding/addiction issues, so if I had $900 to spend, I'd probably start foaming at the mouth :drool:

• 2 weeks later...

For K/1st I like the Sonlight reading lists. Pattern Blocks, Unifix Cubes, Tangrams are awesome things to have on hand. I also like File Folder games and Kumon workbooks. Anything that can be used for counting, sorting and patterning will give you a lot of mileage. Magnet kits can be loads of fun- check out Lakeshore Learning for some ideas of what's out there.

Funtastic Frogs Math is another good product.

Rainbow Resource has a ton of stuff you can look through- science kits (although I haven't always had great success with their plant kits- think maybe the seeds were too old), art supplies, literature.... For art, think about things like PrismaColor, Sculpey Clay, Pipe Cleaners, collage materials, acrylic and/or tempura paints...since you have funds offer a variety of materials for exploration and really let them try a bunch of different types of things. Art books I would recommend: Kids Create!, Scribble Cookies, Mudworks, and Evan-Moore's How to Teach Art to Children.

Story of the World audio (or other audio books such as those from GreatHall Productions or Classical Kids). I would suggest just volume one for the age of your students. History/Literature Pockets. We used History Pockets Ancient Civilizations for K and then moved into SOTW. It's a nice segue.

Oh, we also loved Reader Rabbit at our house. My ds was 9 yrs old before he reluctantly gave up his pre-school disc, he enjoyed it so much! JumpStart is another good one.

Hope this helps!

Edited by EppieJ