Menu

please share your "Schoolroom" pics

workingmom

Hello,

In the past I had things scattered around everywhere and let ds work on the kitchen table or his room mostly. However both tables are adult height and I would like his feet to touch the ground when he does work (rather than dangling in the air). I have a spare bedroom that I've put some supplies that I don't want the kids to get their hands on, however I'm thinking to turn that into a room where he can do most of his sit down work. Any pics of worktables for this age group (6-7yo) I liked the adjustable tables you see in preschool and art rooms but they are so expensive online. Any suggestions on where to buy them. I'd rather not have his "lesson" books mixed in with his toys and stuff in the finished basement which is where all the kids play. I'd love to see pics of what you've done.

Thanks for sharing.

I have pictures of mine on my blog. They should pop up as a slide show up in the left corner.

my blog addy should show up in my signature.

We use a dining room that we don't need for our table. The purple color is what the owner painted it before we moved in. We rent and I don't feel like changing the color now that the white board is up. Although I'd love it to be red.

Here is my slightly outdated slideshow that I posted of our schoolroom area, including my built-in teacher's desk (love it, love it) and our adjacent kitchen. The mean bunny in the one picture has gone to greener pastures and under that window I now have a low bookshelf to match the other window. I can't believe the family who built this house or owner #2 didn't even homeschool. The layout is completely perfect for homeschooling. The laundry room is nearby too--a long hallway (where my timeline is) so we can keep up with laundry as well.

Slideshow

A schoolroom would NOT work for me if it was far from kitchen and laundry. This current setup is absolutely a dream (I hope I don't wake up!).

My pics are old and I just got more shelves that will be installed soon, so I don't have pics handy. Well they're on flickr and I'm too lazy to remember where, lol. I do have an adjustable table, but now my dd (age 8) has it at full height. I'm glad to have it, but you won't need it long, just a couple years. The best thing about it is the better quality laminate that wipes clean. If you get a laminate folding table from your office supply (NOT the plastic one), it will have that same laminate and not be as expensive. I think they may sell them with adjustable legs at the office supply too, but instead invest in an adjustable height rolly chair. I got one for my dd for $20 on clearance with the back to school sales one year. Shop around and see. My adjustable table was a leftover or reject from a school order, so the company had marked it down. I guess just shop around. I think I paid $150 for mine, but it is really nice. You could get a regular laminate, non-adjustable folding table and use adjustable height rolly chairs just fine. I have two of the plastic folding tables, and their textured surface is no good for writing. They're great for art projects, puzzles, etc. though and the price is amazing, around $35-50 I think.

I like the vertical metal dividers they sell at the office supply. They're the only thing really sturdy enough to hold up tm's. I also use milk crates for tm's, but they eat the corners.

Our schoolroom is in the basement, so I don't know how that will work when we move up to the main floor of the house. Dd is old enough that I'll probably let her float and do her work elsewhere (sunroom, etc.). We turned a spare bedroom into another library with more bookshelves, and of course we have the shelving in our school room. I made her a reading nest, sort of looks like an oversized dog bed. It's just a polyfill stuffing with a plain rectangle shape and a velcro cover I can remove to wash. Plop that by some bookshelves and they can stay busy a long time! She even begs to sleep on it. :)

I use my paper cutter and 3-hole punch a lot. I'm always scouting for new ways to affix things (magnets, Command, stix clips, etc.).

The best thing my SIL told me when getting started was to not lock myself into any one way of doing the room, that I would want it to change as things changed for us. This has proven to be very wise advice. We have fun every year rearranging, depending on how we want to work together, etc. So I suggest you think in terms of components that you can rearrange to suit your changing needs. Add lots of shelves and set up a reading nest. Keep messy things up high in matching laundry baskets. I got my laundry baskets (thin plastic) on sale for a buck or two, so I have a whole bunch of them along the top of a closet. Stacked drawers are good for math manipulatives. Keep things out or set up a center if it's something your dc is really interested in (art, whatever), otherwise have a way to put everything away, as much as possible. There's so much that will be out anyway, that having the bulk put away makes the room feel more neat and manageable.

Have fun with your space! Don't forget color! :)

We used to use a "kid's table" from Ikea, but this year, dd7 outgrew it. So, I pulled out an old kitchen table, and dd uses a pad on the chair and a stool for her feet. You can't see the stool or the pad in these pics, but you get the general idea, I'm sure.

A few years ago, I decided to do away with plastic in our playroom/schoolroom. I do have 2 plastic shelves (to the right of the large table) but have wood, wire and baskets for just about everything. I just wanted to make our environment warmer and more naturally "friendly."

The pictures don't give a good feel for the shape of the room--but at least you can see our "areas." There are two rooms behind the art/elementary school area, and a laundry room to the right of the large, high school desk area.

Our Schoolroom (It's under January's posts)

Oh, and here's our weekly report,too.

No, it was their TV/family room. They had an area rug. If you look above the bookcases, you can still see the speakers mounted on the wall. The room is a good size, although a little bit shallow. The shallowness is downplayed, though, since it opens into the main area. I think the angled corners are cool.

On the other side of the kitchen is a "breakfast area" that is large enough for our regular table. We use it as a dining room. They had a formal dining room in the front of the house, which we don't need and turned into a library.

So, now I own two tables. It is a beautiful thing. We like the whole setup.

You ladies are so creative! I am still working on a plan for our "school room," which is actually our breakfast room. Mine are only 2 and 4 and we are already outgrowing the space. Space will certainly be something to consider when we begin looking for a new home soon.

Laurel T.

Mine is getting a makeover! Today I posted the mess we currently have, but my beloved Handy Man is working on a wall and a half of built-in bookshelves and I hope to post the transformation shortly.

Just keepin' it real today. ;) My blog link is in my signature.