Menu

What does the term "Rising _ Grader mean?

I had to figure this out too after hanging out here for a while. I wonder if it's a regional term because I don't think I ever heard it in the western US. I googled a bit and it looks like it's more often used in the south (and maybe other places) which is pretty strongly represented on these boards.

I'd love for anyone to correct me though, because I really don't know much about it.

I had to figure this out too after hanging out here for a while. I wonder if it's a regional term because I don't think I ever heard it in the western US. I googled a bit and it looks like it's more often used in the south (and maybe other places) which is pretty strongly represented on these boards.

I'd love for anyone to correct me though, because I really don't know much about it.

I don't remember hearing it growing up in the PNW or when I had very young kids in Utah. It is used here in New England by public school parents. In fact, I heard it used just yesterday. :001_smile:

:iagree: I grew up in CA and live in UT. I have only seen this on the boards. I have never heard anyone say it. Good to know what it means. :)

I've heard that all my life, and it's used a lot on forms, like for summer camp, or summer sports. But it may be a southern thing. I'm in NC.

:iagree:

I grew up in VA and now live in NC. But my mom always used it and she grew up in MI. Of course, maybe she learned it while I was unaware of things. :tongue_smilie:

I've also only heard this in the last few years--here on the boards and locally. I'm in GA. Hadn't heard it otherwise and I generally don't use the term. We just say, "he finished 8th and will be going into 9th." Longer, but that's what I grew up saying.

I'm from New England and never heard the term outside this board, although I understood the meaning of the phrase.

Now that I think about it, we always said "going into", as in "He's going into 2nd grade," or the even more precise "He'll be in 2nd grade in the fall.". As for camp forms, etc., we were expected to list our upcoming grade level. Once the school year was done, students were automatically considered members of the next grade.

I've also only heard this in the last few years--here on the boards and locally. I'm in GA. Hadn't heard it otherwise and I generally don't use the term. We just say, "he finished 8th and will be going into 9th." Longer, but that's what I grew up saying.

I'm from New England and never heard the term outside this board, although I understood the meaning of the phrase.

Now that I think about it, we always said "going into", as in "He's going into 2nd grade," or the even more precise "He'll be in 2nd grade in the fall.". As for camp forms, etc., we were expected to list our upcoming grade level. Once the school year was done, students were automatically considered members of the next grade.

In my opinion, you're either in one grade or the next... When a student is currently in, for example, 5th grade (usually at the end of the school year) referring to them as a "rising 6th grader" is confusing... but I can see its use on registration forms. But so far, every form I have filled out has said something like "Grade entering fall 2012 _____".

Yep.

It's a term I've only heard in the last few years. It helps with the confusion of asking about grades over the summer. You don't have to ask if the person means the grade they are completing or the grade in which they will be.

I always hated being asked what grade I was in over the summer. I thought adults were so stupid. Didn't they know it was summer and I WASN'T IN ANY GRADE! :lol: Of course I always answered politely, but now that I'm one of those stupid adults I make sure to ask kids, "What grade will you be in next year?"

It always reminds me of Ramona. I don't remember which book it was, but it was summer and she was going through that hyper-truthful stage that many kids encounter... So when she was asked what grade she was in during the summer, she had a sort of existential crisis! Saying "rising __" over the summer helps with that. ;)